The state of things in Dumbfuckistan

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The state of things in Dumbfuckistan

#41  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 25, 2023 7:16 pm

Today, I sent this to our local chief of police after I observed one of them driving while distracted:

Chief Denham,

On January 24, 2023, at 17:03, at the intersection of Pearl St and Main St, then again at Pearl and Centralia College Blvd, I observed your community service officer in a marked car with the number 53 on the trunk violating department policy.

I was in the right lane, your officer was in the left. We were abreast of each other. My vehicle is taller, and I had a clear view into the front seat of your officer’s police car.

I observed your officer using his MDC while driving his vehicle, with his right hand operating the keyboard. I first saw the motion of his hand while waiting next to your officer at the red traffic light on Pearl and Main. When the light changed to green, we both proceeded. Your officer continued to use his MDC. I observed this until the traffic light at Pearl and Centralia College Blvd which was also red. When that traffic light turned green, your officer accelerated away faster than I did from the intersection, and I lost my view into his front seat.

For your viewing pleasure, I’ve excerpted the exact paragraph from your policy manual that forbids your officers from doing what I observed one do.

“419.4.1 USE WHILE DRIVING Use of the MDC by the vehicle operator should be limited to times when the vehicle is stopped. Information that is required for immediate enforcement, investigative, tactical or safety needs should be transmitted over the radio.

In no case shall an operator attempt to send or review lengthy messages while the vehicle is in motion.”

Laws for me, but not for thee, huh? I am not allowed to even use my telephone while driving, for obvious driving safety reasons. When we do so, we are a risk to others. Maybe you can have your community service officer explain how we are not at risk from his inattentive, distracted driving while your officers type away on their mobile computers.

We expect your officers to comply with the same laws they enforce. I expect you to see to it that happens.

I’m sure this sort of thing isn’t isolated to the area here. It’s just another bit of noise that adds to the pile of shit.

It isn’t the first time I’ve offered them feedback. One of their cars rolled through a right turn at a red light in front of me as I was waiting to use the crosswalk. I had to take a step back to keep my feet away from his wheels. When I called them to complain about it, all I got from the sergeant on duty was copsplaining as he began actually yelling at me on the phone. You can imagine how well I received that behavior. I’ll be damned if I have to accept that shit from my public servants. That sergeant knew exactly whom he worked for after I dressed him down for raising his voice to me.

Again, I am certain this is not isolated to this area. But, these assholes certainly do have an us vs them attitude to the citizens they claim to serve.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#42  Postby THWOTH » Jan 26, 2023 10:15 am

The_Metatron wrote:...

Motherfuckers.

So, I penned a letter to the editor of our local newspaper.

Please go take a look: https://www.chronline.com/stories/lette ... ily,307789?

I am proud of this letter, and honestly surprised the local republican rag published it. I am the author, so here is my letter, in its entirety.

Top notch communique.

There's also the human rights angle as well as the constitutional rights angle, but I guess the Constitution probably resonates a bit harder with the readership.

In 1989 the UN developed a convention to ensure the human rights of children around an internationally legally binding structure: UN Convention on the Right of the Child (CRC). They did this to specifically affirm that the Universal Declaration of Human Rights did extend to minors--a child is definitly a person--because in some countries minors fell into a grey categorical area as far as their fundamental rights were concerned.

The CRC obliges all signatories (PDF) to take active steps "towards a holistic implementation of child justice systems that promote and protect children’s rights; To reiterate the importance of prevention and early intervention, and of protecting children’s rights at all stages of the system; To promote key strategies for reducing the especially harmful effects of contact with the criminal justice system, in line with increased knowledge about children’s development."

The US has not signed the convention.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#43  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 26, 2023 4:11 pm

Thanks for your compliment.

Knowing what I now know, witnessing how these fuckers over here treat their children, I am not at all surprised the US didn’t sign it. They would lose many lifetime “justice system” customers.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#44  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 27, 2023 2:18 am

I poked our chief of police today over my message about his officer driving while using his computer. I told him I tried to settle this between he and I, but ignoring me would result in me filing a formal complaint, which will become a public record for all to see. He answered me, agreeing that it was a violation of policy, and referring the behavior to the officer’s supervisor for action.

That’s all I wanted from him.

Today, there are now at least three local police who know in their bones that someone is watching and will take action when one of their blue line thugs misbehaves.

This pleases me greatly.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#45  Postby THWOTH » Jan 27, 2023 3:36 am

Watch your back TM.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#46  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 27, 2023 3:25 pm

THWOTH wrote:Watch your back TM.

At all times, my friend.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#47  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 27, 2023 4:06 pm

Motherfuckers in Memphis, Tennessee are groveling for calm in anticipation of what people are going to do when they see what those five pigs did to Tyre Nichols.

They want peace.

I cannot improve on Tolkien:

We will have peace," said Théoden at last thickly and with an effort. Several of the Riders cried out gladly. Théoden held up his hand. "Yes, we will have peace," he said now in a clear voice, "we will have peace, when you and all your works have perished--and the works of your dark master to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar, Saruman, and a corrupter a men's hearts. You hold out your hand it to me, and I perceive only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just--as it was not, for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine for your own profit as you desired--even so, what will you say of your torches in Westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Háma's body before the gates of the Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanic. So much for the house of Eorl. A lesser son of great sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewhither. But I fear your voice has lost its charm.

The question I want answered from every police department in the country is simple:

What makes you different than the Memphis PD?

They aren’t going to have peace. Police will die over this, and they have well earned their fates.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#48  Postby Alan C » Mar 29, 2023 8:04 am

So it seems the answer is more Jesus [according to Tennessee RepThug senator] as well as more guns, despite this most recent shooting happening in a christian school?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#49  Postby The_Piper » Mar 29, 2023 3:30 pm

One thing that was beneficial about the rise of Trump and the cult is that I learned Republican politicians have no bottom. There is no end to how low they will go. They may care about kids being shot by ar-15's, but they care more about their campaign contributions and power. It doesn't matter how many children are taken from this earth, they will never support any kind of gun control. Sure, there are exception around the edges, but I know that by always first assuming a particular Republican has no bottom, I'll be right most of the time.

Like police. By assuming they're willing to break the law, I'll be right most of the time. By assuming they're willing to violate someone's rights, I'll be right most of the time.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Alan C » Apr 04, 2023 7:27 am

Tennessee is somehow getting worse. State House reps that stood with gun control advocates have had their ID badges turned off and are facing expulsion.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 04, 2023 7:51 am

And for context: their crime was standing alongside thousands of children demanding that the state do something to protect them from being fucking murdered at school.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#52  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 07, 2023 3:27 am

Hard to see how this can be read any other way than the continuation of white power being exercised over blacks in a slave state.

Even Gloria Johnson, the third member of the group that joined the kids protesting against being murdered at school, noted that the probable reason the two black guys got expelled but she didn't comes down simply to the colour of her skin.

And the audacity of vapid revisionism and partisan fantasy crafting:

House Speaker Cameron Sexton wrote:What they did today was equivalent, at least equivalent, maybe worse depending on how you look at it, to doing an insurrection in the State Capitol

If you look at it like a fucking moron or bullshit artist, perhaps.

Dumbfasciststan.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#53  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 08, 2023 5:50 pm

The dumbfuckery continues apace over here, as you all see on the news.

In western Washington, our state senator had another commentary in our paper today. This time, he’s actually using the argument that in King county (Seattle, not his district), 83 people were killed with guns last year. But, over a thousand died from drug overdoses. Therefore, he believes it follows that guns aren’t the problem to solve, but drugs are.

He doesn’t like the new Washington senate bill that intends to do away with assault weapons here.

I took the time to explain to him today that there is a difference. Guns kill others, for the most part. Drug overdoses kill the drug user and only the drug user.

I am honest enough to say that I really don’t give too many fucks about people killing themselves with their drugs. Overdose away. This is a self limiting problem. Drug users are precisely zero danger to me and mine.

Guns on the other hand, that is a concern.

Braun is one of these motherfuckers who think that illegally purchased guns are the root cause of the gun problem. Memphis, Uvalde, Sandy Hook, Parkland, I can’t even remember all the fucking shootings. I suppose I could look deeper, but I doubt there’s a need. The shooters bought their assault rifles legally and then laid waste to some kids. Rinse, repeat. As long as shops exist to sell these fucking toys, people will buy them and then use them.

Also in today’s edition of the paper is an interview with a local gun shop owner and his wife. A sob story about how they may have all kinds of inventory they can’t sell if this bill passes. Oh, boo fucking hoo, Mr. and Mrs. Gun shop Owners. Maybe you chose your line of business poorly? Could be you chose to open a shop to sell your neighbors the tools their kids can then use to kill others’ kids someday, and society has had enough of it.

This sort of backwards logic is running pretty rampant over here.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Spearthrower » Apr 08, 2023 5:52 pm

If you solve gun deaths with more guns, then doesn't it follow that you solve drug deaths with more drugs? :)

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#55  Postby Tortured_Genius » Apr 08, 2023 6:55 pm

The_Metatron wrote:This sort of backwards logic is running pretty rampant over here.

There is no logic.

Objectively, tools exist that are a danger to others if used improperly.

Consequently multiple regulations apply to the sale and safe handling of cars, heavily machinery, chainsaws, flamethrowers, explosives, fuel, toys, Kinder eggs, crackers, etc, etc.

Quite why the flying fuck a vocal segment of the US population shits themselves every time someone mentions that such regulations also ought to extend to guns is incomprehensible and utterly inconsistent.

Apparently guns are "special". Fatal fetish they've got there.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Alan C » Apr 08, 2023 8:59 pm

I've heard the AR-15 is of concern particularly because of the damage it can do. If these small children were shot with something like a handgun at least some might have lived but an AR-15, especially to a small person, there's no chance.
And these fucking things can be purchased, legally, by citizens. And the manufacturers have legal immunity, that is obscene.
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Tortured_Genius » Apr 09, 2023 1:18 am

Alan C wrote:I've heard the AR-15 is of concern particularly because of the damage it can do.

Sort of. The AR-15 magic juju stick is the civilian version of the M4 used by the US military (without the burst capability) and therefore magically confers the skills and knowledge of a "real warrior" to it's possessor. It could be argued its real danger is as a fetish and hence desirable to a certain type.

Now what will be good for a laugh is when the sales of the SIG MX Spear start ramping up. This is the civilian version of the XM7 being newly adopted by the US military and as such will be THE next fetishist must-have weapon for the backyard warrior.

The weapon has been designed around the .277 Fury cartridge. This cartridge has been produced to defeat body armour, the latest Russian body armour apparently being good enough to deflect standard 5.56 ammunition as used in the M4. I would suspect the steel jacketed high pressure rounds will prove to be equally efficacious on police body armour (and infant flesh).

These things are explicitly designed for use on battlefields by trained military personnel to defeat other heavily armed trained military personnel. The results of their use in any sort of civilian setting is as completely predictable as it is tragic.
None are so hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. - Goethe
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby Tortured_Genius » Apr 11, 2023 1:04 am

Hardly worth mentioning: Louisville, Kentucky: Gunman kills four in bank shooting(BBC)

Shooter, a bank employee, was unknown to police and social services and, due to the fun gun laws in Kentucky, was totally within the law until the moment he opened fire during what I'd guess was bank's morning meeting. (As an added wrinkle he was apparently livestreaming it.)

Who knew. People who are going to run amok can't always be easily be identified beforehand and even if they turn up tooled up for violence are totally within their rights, so can't be stopped until they actually start killing people.

Thoughts and prayers...
Tortured_Genius

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#59  Postby The_Metatron » Apr 11, 2023 1:20 am

Tortured_Genius wrote:Hardly worth mentioning: Louisville, Kentucky: Gunman kills four in bank shooting(BBC)

Shooter, a bank employee, was unknown to police and social services and, due to the fun gun laws in Kentucky, was totally within the law until the moment he opened fire during what I'd guess was bank's morning meeting. (As an added wrinkle he was apparently livestreaming it.)

Who knew. People who are going to run amok can't always be easily be identified beforehand and even if they turn up tooled up for violence are totally within their rights, so can't be stopped until they actually start killing people.

Thoughts and prayers...

No thoughts or prayers from me. Fuck ‘em. I wonder how they like their 2nd Amendment Sanctuary now in Kentucky.
The_Metatron

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#60  Postby The_Piper » Apr 11, 2023 9:00 pm

Tortured_Genius wrote:Hardly worth mentioning: Louisville, Kentucky: Gunman kills four in bank shooting(BBC)

Thoughts and prayers...

It's bullshit.
Someone: Maybe we could change laws to lower the frequency which these happen?
Republicans "How dare you bring up politics when the bodies aren't even cold yet!!1!"
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs