850kya ancestral pop bottleneck

Discuss various aspects of ancient civilizations and humanity in general.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

850kya ancestral pop bottleneck

#1  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 07, 2023 5:40 pm

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abq7487

Genomic inference of a severe human bottleneck during the Early to Middle Pleistocene transition

Population size history is essential for studying human evolution. However, ancient population size history during the Pleistocene is notoriously difficult to unravel. In this study, we developed a fast infinitesimal time coalescent process (FitCoal) to circumvent this difficulty and calculated the composite likelihood for present-day human genomic sequences of 3154 individuals. Results showed that human ancestors went through a severe population bottleneck with about 1280 breeding individuals between around 930,000 and 813,000 years ago. The bottleneck lasted for about 117,000 years and brought human ancestors close to extinction. This bottleneck is congruent with a substantial chronological gap in the available African and Eurasian fossil record. Our results provide new insights into our ancestry and suggest a coincident speciation event.

It's the explanation for that gap which is most interesting! Plus it ties in with many common ancestral genes, such as MC1R. This bottleneck probably can be considered as a strong causal element in the specific evolutionary path of our species, both in terms of removing 'competing' branches, and also in creating a basal suite of genes particular to later species of human ancestors including us.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Re: 850kya ancestral pop bottleneck

#2  Postby Animavore » Sep 11, 2023 9:29 am

Is this not something that was already known? I'm sure I read about this years ago.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 11, 2023 10:03 am

Maybe you're thinking of the 70kya one around the Toba eruption?

The human representative impacted here 800kya was mostly H erectus.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Animavore » Sep 11, 2023 12:12 pm

Yeah. Probably. It was definitely us humans and not erectus or anything in the one I read.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby The_Piper » Sep 11, 2023 5:06 pm

A lot of other animals around now that went through, or are currently in, similar bottlenecks because of our success. I'm sure bottlenecks that occur more "naturally" are always common in the animal kingdom (and every other branch of life), and could have major implications for their species and the others they interact with.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Anthropology