Russell Brand in the news it seems

for the wrong reasons

For discussion of politics, and what's going on in the world today.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Russell Brand in the news it seems

#41  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 20, 2023 11:35 am

Too much truthiness is a dangerous thing, albeit not a particularly punctually dangerous thing.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#42  Postby THWOTH » Sep 20, 2023 9:53 pm

fluttermoth wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

ETA: Ugh, went to google about it, hit on a recent celebrity news vid on YT, and then made the seriously stupid mistake of reading the comments section. Yup, it's definitely those vile women who are conspiring with Big Pharma to bring a good man down because of all the Truthiness he speaks.

I have a female acquaintance (friend of a friend) on FB who's posting a load of this shit. She's a conspiracy theorist/anti-vaxxer/general woo believer :roll:

You know... I think calling people like this conspiracy theorists is elevating their wittering to an assumed level of competency they very rarely deserve. There's very little theorising going on. Hardly any hypothesising either.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Matt_B » Sep 21, 2023 12:11 am

I've always seen it as in "it's just a theory I came up with" rather than "theory of gravity" and the like.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#44  Postby Fenrir » Sep 21, 2023 4:34 am

”here's a brain fart i had" doesn't seem popular for some reason.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Alan C » Sep 21, 2023 6:26 pm

Alternative media? Sounds to me like alternative medicine, or facts. We know how well that generally works out.

What is alternative media anyway, surely not drek such as Infowars?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#46  Postby Matt_B » Sep 21, 2023 10:54 pm

Alternative media is basically where someone runs a social media account and calls it "news."

It's kinda funny how they all decry the mainstream media, but most of them started out there and mainly left because they didn't like the modicum of accountability that came with it.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#47  Postby Thommo » Sep 22, 2023 2:17 am

This article is... pretty damning. A woman has accused Russell Brand of sexually assaulting her by exposing his penis to her at her place of work, and then joking about it on air immediately afterwards. The audio clip of him talking about it is included, so it seems rather unlikely the alleged events didn't take place:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66882644
Thommo

Print view this post

#48  Postby The_Piper » Sep 22, 2023 2:18 am

Speaking of theories, I have one. Russel Brand is a full blown psychopath. :shock: Maybe that's just a hypothesis. I figure grifting and psycopathy have some degree of correlation. Especially when they're telling people not to take a vaccine that could save their life, or prevent them from infecting a family member or friend. That's twisted.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Thommo » Sep 22, 2023 2:25 am

He certainly doesn't come across as being a high empathy individual.

Fun facts about psycopathy: It's fairly common and typified by certain personality traits that are recognisable in quite a few notable celebrities:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog ... psychopath
Research suggests that 4% of the population is "sociopathic," and 5-15% is “almost psychopathic.”
  • Pathological Lying and Manipulation
  • Lack of Morality and Rule Breaking
  • Lack of Empathy and Cold-Heartedness
  • Narcissism and False Superiority Complex
  • Gaslighting and Psychological Bullying
  • Lack of Contrition and Self-Serving Victimhood

ETA: I don't think that's actually the best list of the symptomatic traits, but I couldn't find a better reference with a 2 minute google search. I think more normally the key traits are just lack of empathy, narcissism and very high risk-tolerance.
Last edited by Thommo on Sep 22, 2023 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thommo

Print view this post

#50  Postby The_Piper » Sep 22, 2023 2:38 am

I have a hard time understanding Russel Brand's accent. That's weird that the BBC hasn't reached out to Olivia.

I remember reading Robert Hare's number of 1 in 40 people are psychopaths, but that's within range of 4%. It's a spectrum, of course, and as you say, there are certainly more than 4% of people who have some of the traits, some of the time.
I know a certain orange-hued guy who has the self-serving victimhood trait.
This clip will never get old. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Thommo » Sep 22, 2023 4:47 am

Trump is 100% a psycopath.

He has no empathy, he is probably the most narcissistic person in the public eye today and his entire career has been built on taking risks and breaking rules (like working with the mob, paying illegal hush money, promoting scams, spending money to go after the central park five etc.). He also has zero remorse and no shame to boot.
Thommo

Print view this post

#52  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 22, 2023 4:57 am

A low-functioning psychopath.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#53  Postby Alan C » Sep 22, 2023 8:42 am

Spearthrower wrote:A low-functioning psychopath.

"So low he could parachute out of a snake's arse"
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#54  Postby The_Piper » Sep 22, 2023 11:21 am

Thommo wrote:Trump is 100% a psycopath.

He has no empathy, he is probably the most narcissistic person in the public eye today and his entire career has been built on taking risks and breaking rules (like working with the mob, paying illegal hush money, promoting scams, spending money to go after the central park five etc.). He also has zero remorse and no shame to boot.

Absolutely, one of the most obvious public examples of a full psychopath. Again, I'm not a big Sam Harris fan, but I like the way he put it. "Trump has narcissism on a level rarely encountered in every day life."
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#55  Postby THWOTH » Sep 22, 2023 1:11 pm

I think pathologising the behaviour of powerful and abusive people when they get found out mostly misses the point - as well as offering an over simplistic explaination for that behaviour. Imagining convincing reasons for why they might act that way in the world is less important imo than addressing how they actually act, and the consequences of those acts.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#56  Postby Thommo » Sep 22, 2023 1:48 pm

I would tend to agree with you, but psycopathy is a personality trait rather than a disease or mental illness. Whether or not Brand or Trump or anyone else is a psycopath (and I'd bet they both are) does indeed change nothing.
Thommo

Print view this post

#57  Postby Spearthrower » Sep 23, 2023 1:00 am

So apparently it's really all the manipulations of the Deep State, just in case you wondered whether he or his audience had any competent grasp of reality.

He's certainly cultivated a cult-like following who seem primed to doubt anything said by credible sources, but believe whatever words he spouts.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#58  Postby Animavore » Sep 23, 2023 2:42 pm

His fans in the Russell Brand subreddit aren't happy about the sudden influx of people there to talk about these allegations. One even made a post which went something like, "This sub is for fans. Why are you here?"

The echo chamber has become an anechoic chamber.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to News, Politics & Current Affairs