Nuclear Power Safety in the Aftermath of the Japan Earthquake

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else below.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Nuclear Power Safety in the Aftermath of the Japan Earth

#261  Postby Beatsong » Mar 22, 2011 12:14 pm

Someone asked earlier whether if the reactor holds up with minimal harm to anyone, that can be seen as supporting the case for nuclear power, just as fairly as the presumed catastrophe can be seen as supporting the case against it.

This guy seems to think so:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -fukushima
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#262  Postby Matt_B » Mar 22, 2011 12:31 pm

EDF have just received a ticking off for safety breaches at UK plants:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... y-breaches

I don't think that'll do their cause for constructing new ones much good.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#263  Postby Macdoc » Mar 22, 2011 5:09 pm

Given the reactor vessels survived events far outside design range indeed it is....

and of course we need nuclear

log in and watch that sucker spin and think whats going into the atmosphere as a result

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/03 ... ifying.php
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#264  Postby Manic Wombat » Mar 22, 2011 7:58 pm

I read somewhere, regarding nuclear waste, that 90% of the waste is reuseable due to tech advances. It was a comment from Barry Brook I believe but I couldn't find any details ... can anyone elaborate?

Also - when disposing of nuclear waste, what's the most effective method? Burying under mountains? Implications?

I'm all for nuclear but I want to get more reading done on the subject. 'Tis most interesting.
"Pumping potentially deadly but life saving cytotoxic chemicals into a two year old- totally non controversial. Giving him innocuous, non toxic cannabis to mitigate the horrible side effects- no we can't have that."

- King David
Manic Wombat

Name: Ryan

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#265  Postby jez9999 » Mar 22, 2011 8:01 pm

Matt_B wrote:EDF have just received a ticking off for safety breaches at UK plants:

Oh wow, The Guardian, that unrivaled bastion of non-bias when it comes to nuclear power, decry the incredible danger caused by one pump failure in an array of redundant pumps, and by a seaweed blockage.

But at least they quoted some unbiased experts to back them up, eh? Like the SNP, whose irrational hatred of nuclear power has been held almost as long as their irrational hatred of England and obsession with their pathetic little Scots Gaelic language. Or maybe the non-partisan Mr. Pete Roche,
an Edinburgh-based nuclear consultant and editor of the no2nuclearpower.org.uk website

:rofl:
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#266  Postby Matt_B » Mar 22, 2011 9:26 pm

In all probability I expect that EDF will still get the go-ahead. It's just that little incidents like the above won't do much to engender public confidence in them.
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#268  Postby ConnyRaSk » Mar 22, 2011 10:13 pm

for all the nuclear power supporters, you do realise that it was the break-down of the power supply that led to this disaster in Japan. How can you be so (f- cock-) sure that the power supply is fail-safe for all other plants around the world, even the so-called up-to-date plants?
Literature, fiction, poetry, whatever, makes justice in the world. That’s why it almost always has to be on the side of the underdog. ~Grace Paley
ConnyRaSk

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#269  Postby Jumbo » Mar 22, 2011 10:56 pm

ConnyRaSk wrote:for all the nuclear power supporters, you do realise that it was the break-down of the power supply that led to this disaster in Japan. How can you be so (f- cock-) sure that the power supply is fail-safe for all other plants around the world, even the so-called up-to-date plants?

It took a huge natural disaster to wipe out multiple layers of safety features. Most other plants in the world will almost certainly never face such a level of devastation. Plants work on a philosophy of layers of safety features and its only because of the vast scale that all were overcome in this case. Even then the results were hardly catastrophic for the outside world.

Many plants are designed with passive safety features which require no operator intervention. Many have large heat sinks so that even in loss of coolant incidents there is not the kind of problem associated with a lack of power for water pumps. Some have containment structures which can carry away excess heat. Not all plants are like the one in Japan but even if they were it has shown just how large an incident can be withstood and with such little consequence to the wider world.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#270  Postby Beatsong » Mar 23, 2011 12:30 am

Jumbo wrote:It took a huge natural disaster to wipe out multiple layers of safety features. Most other plants in the world will almost certainly never face such a level of devastation. Plants work on a philosophy of layers of safety features and its only because of the vast scale that all were overcome in this case. Even then the results were hardly catastrophic for the outside world.

I think that's the key.

We have here an absolutely EXTRAORDINARY, UNPRECEDENTED level of natural disaster, acting upon an outdated nuclear reactor sitting right on top of it. In a sense this is whole series of events, unfortunate as it is, is interesting for the nuclear debate because it shows us what is pretty much the WORST that can be expected.

And what's happened? Have thousands of people been exposed to devastating levels of radiation, making it likely that the next ten generations of Japanese are all going to have webbed fingers and three heads, like the nuclear scare stories of the 70s suggested? No. Nothing like it. I don't know what the estimated danger is to those working at the plant, but to the general public it's minimal.

Noone's saying any of this is good. But it has to be seen not in comparison to some imaginary world in which unlimited energy to power homes, transport, offices and hospitals falls from the sky for free every day with no consequences. It has to be seen as a question of risks and benefits, and how these compare to other real world possibilities of power generation. What we've seen here is the outside extreme of the risk side of the equation, and it just... ain't... that... bad. As has been described earlier in this thread, compared to the potential dangers of many other kinds of industrial activity that we take for granted - dangers which in many case have been realised - it's tiny.

I can see why Hiroshima made several generations of people adamant that the technology must be stopped in its tracks in any form whatsoever. That was an understandable visceral reaction. But it's time to move on, IMO, as the technology and associated safety measures have moved on, and look at it dispassionately. No other technology in the near future is going to provide anywhere near the power that nuclear can while weaning us off fossil fuels, and if this is a worst case scenario, then there are a lot of other things we should be worrying about more.
Beatsong

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#271  Postby Macdoc » Mar 23, 2011 3:29 am

The people of Nagasaki support nuclear power in Japan.

•••

I wrote this on another science forum that had a poll about nuclear power support...
It applies equally to any here who are against nuclear power...
The reality is that this is a non-trivial issue but that a far more important one is that most of the politicians and public servants who have looked at the numbers properly have concluded that nuclear power is a bad idea.
no - they are spineless and as ill informed as you are.

France, Ontario, Japan all have solid, safe and cost effective nuclear programs and China thanks to it's command economy is just getting on with building.

It's NIMBY plain and simple.....even the founder of Greenpeace got fed up with the lies and misdirection and flat out wrong headed idiocy of the tree huggers and is now a nuclear lobbyist.

Dr. Barry Brook is first a foremost a climate scientists, so is James Hansen = they and others who most of all understand the risk coal represents have looked the alternatives and on a science and economic basis realized there is only one alternative to coal for an industrialized society and that is nuclear.
Barry has no economic interest whatsoever nor does Hansen or the others. They recognize where true risk lies and that is in NOT deploying reactors quickly to eliminate coal stations.
They are scientists - as is Patrick Moore - they know the risk the planet is under from carbon use as fuel......you clearly do not.

France understood that a while ago.

Nuclear is expensive, a large part of that expense can be laid directly at the door of fear mongers like yourself.

Nuclear could have moved forward far faster and be in a cookie cutter stage were it not for irrational fear of radiation - which health experts rate as the most negative outcome of events like 3 Mile Island - the fear itself.

Did you actually look at this chart?
http://xkcd.com/radiation/

People in this forum generally are well informed and have a science or engineering base and some even have worked with the nuclear industry.

Notice the numbers and then ask yourself why they overwhelmingly support nuclear power.

Then go inform yourself.

Moore in his own words....

Patrick Moore, avid environmentalist and co-founder of Greenpeace, makes the
case for nuclear energy.

In the early 1970s when I helped found Greenpeace, I believed that nuclear energy was synonymous with nuclear holocaust, as did most of my compatriots. That conviction inspired Green-peace’s first voyage up the spectacular rocky northwest coast to protest the testing of US hydrogen bombs in Alaska’s Aleutian Islands.

Thirty years on, my views have changed, and the rest of the environmental movement needs to update its views, too, because nuclear energy is the only non-greenhouse-gas-emitting power source that can effectively replace fossil fuels while satisfying the world’s increasing demand for energy.

Today, 441 nuclear plants operating globally avoid the release of nearly 3 billion tonnes of CO2 emissions annually—the equivalent of the exhaust from more than 428 million cars.

My views have changed because nuclear energy is the only non-greenhouse-gas-emitting power source that can effectively replace fossil fuels while satisfying the world’s increasing demand for energy. —Patrick Moore
To reduce substantially our dependence on fossils fuels, we must work together to develop a global nuclear energy infrastructure. Nuclear energy is clean, cost-effective, reliable and safe.

In 1979 Jane Fonda and Jack Lemmon both won Oscars for their starring roles in “The China Syndrome.” In the film, a nuclear reactor meltdown threatened the survival of an entire city.

Twelve days after the blockbuster film opened, a reactor core meltdown at ThreeMile Island sent shivers of fear through the country.

At the time no one noticed Three Mile Island was a success story. The concrete containment structure did as it was designed to do: it prevented radiation from escaping into the environment. While the reactor was crippled, there was no injury or death among the public or nuclear workers.

This was the only serious accident in the history of nuclear energy generation in the United States. There hasn’t been a nuclear plant built since.

In the USA today, there are 103 nuclear reactors quietly delivering 20% of America’s electricity. About 80% of the people living within 10 miles of these plants approve of them. That high approval rating doesn’t include the plant workers who have a direct personal interest in supporting their safe, well-paying jobs. Although I don’t live near a nuclear plant, I am now squarely in their camp.

I am not alone among seasoned environmental activists and thinkers in changing my mind on the subject. James Lovelock, father of the Gaia theory and leading atmospheric scientist, believes nuclear energy is the only way to avoid catastrophic climate change.

Stewart Brand, founder of the Whole Earth Catalogue and holistic ecology thinker, says the environmental movement must embrace nuclear energy to reduce its dependence on fossil fuels. The late Bishop Hugh Montefiore, founder and director of Friends
of the Earth UK, was forced to resign when he penned a pro-nuclear article in a church newsletter. Such opinions have been met with inquisition-like excommunication from the anti-nuclear priesthood.
http://www.iaea.org/Publications/Magazines/Bulletin/Bull481/htmls/nuclear_rethink.html

the anti-nuclear priesthood.

ain't that the truth - no science just plain fear mongering.......just sub in nuclear hell visions for fire and brimstone....

The nations most responsible for C02 emissions are ALL nuclear powers - yes it will cost money - there is no choice in the matter or we will continue to burn all the coal reserves and do damage to the ecosphere that will not reverse for 100k years.

Already we have altered the climate a couple thousands years out....if we burn it all the place will be unrecognizable in another millenia and perhaps unliveable.

If we continue BAU even by the end of this century the changes will be catastrophic and we begin to see the signs now.

But your ilk have blinders on to that.....just completely irrational fear of something you clearly, patently do not understand.

Think about why the 80% flat out support in this forum and ask yourself why - and then ask them to inform you

Poll results

Should Nuclear Energy Be Used?
Yes 187 83.48%
No 4 1.79%

Um...maybe a little bit 8 3.57%

This question can only be weighed up after a careful weighing up of a host of complex factors 22 9.82%

Other. 3 1.34%

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... ost7005669
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#272  Postby Jbags » Mar 23, 2011 3:57 am

In my opinion we have really no option at the moment but to go with nuclear power. We cannot continue to rely on fossil fuels as we do - I don't think this is controversial. While myriad renewables must also be part of the solution, we cannot escape the need for nuclear. It will not be a permanent solution, after all you are replacing one type of fuel with another (although it's not quite that simple), but we need to embrace it.

I do have a niggling doubt however. I do believe that with the correct technology and regulatory oversight, nuclear can be clean and ultimately safe. However, this statement itself limits nuclear power to countries capable of ensuring such quality control and regulation. Sure, for most developed western nations, we can assume that like Japan they will take on the responsibility appropriately.

But what about other nations? I'd certainly be a lot more nervous if Mugabe were to state he was building Zimbabwe's first nuclear power station. Would we be able to stop him if he wanted to? And if so, doesn't that create a situation where you have a group of countries saying "we can have it, you can't".

For example, look at the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant that was build in the Philippines, under the dictator Ferdinand Marcos. Construction was started in 76, and then halted in 79 after the Three Mile Island incident.

Having halted the construction (what had already cost $2.3 billion), the plant was found to have over 4,000 defects, and what's more, it had been built near major earthquake fault lines and close to the then dormant Pinatubo volcano. The plant is still there, has never been activated, costs $1m a year to maintain and would cost $1b to rehabilitate. What a fiasco. Clearly this is a construction which should never have gotten underway.

To summarise, I am a supporter of nuclear power, but I don't think it's ok for anyone to just up and build their own nuclear reactor whenever & where ever they like - and this might create a difficult disparity between "can haves" and "can't haves".
世有伯乐然后有千里马
Jbags

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#273  Postby jez9999 » Mar 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Black smoke coming from reactor 3 at Fukushima. WTF is going on there? It could be a million things.

Jbags wrote:But what about other nations? I'd certainly be a lot more nervous if Mugabe were to state he was building Zimbabwe's first nuclear power station. Would we be able to stop him if he wanted to?

Yeah, but we wouldn't. We didn't after he robbed whites of land, ruined Zimbabwe's farms, bulldozed people's houses, beat up and arrested the opposition, destroyed Zimbabwe's economy, rigged the election, refused to leave when he was defeated anyway, and blamed it all on colonialism 20 years after independence.

Much too busy taking out Gadaffi for embarrassing the West over Lockerbie to help Zimbabwe's oppressed.
=== Jez ===
jez9999

Print view this post

#274  Postby Matt_B » Mar 23, 2011 2:42 pm

Speaking of Gaddafi, do you know that Libya has a nuclear reactor?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world ... tajura.htm

Personally, I wouldn't have trusted the guy with a box of matches myself.
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#275  Postby Shrunk » Mar 23, 2011 7:42 pm

:popcorn:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#276  Postby cherries » Mar 23, 2011 10:48 pm

TEPCO: Black smoke rises from No.3 reactor
The Tokyo Electric Power Company, or TEPCO, says black smoke was seen rising from the No.3 reactor building at the quake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant at around 4:20 PM on Wednesday.

TEPCO told reporters that it received a report 1 hour later that the smoke had gradually cleared.

The company said that the level of radiation near the main gate of the plant, 1 kilometer west of the No.3 reactor, was 265.1-microsieverts-per-hour at 5 PM. They added there had been no major change in the levels after the smoke was observed.

On Monday afternoon, gray smoke was seen rising from the same reactor building. TEPCO said that the plumes turned white before disappearing.

The power company evacuated workers from the control room of the No. 3 reactor, as well as firefighters from Tokyo and Yokohama preparing for a water-spraying operation.

The firefighters had to abandon their planned water spraying operation for the day..cont.http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/23_33.html

Kaieda sorry for threat to 'punish' firefighters who balk at nuke plant
Kyodo News
Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Banri Kaieda apologized Tuesday over reports that he threatened to "punish" firefighters if they didn't carry out an operation to spray water into the No. 3 reactor building at the Fukushima No. 1 plant...cont.http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110323a4.html
"Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked.
This is because most books on witchcraft were written by men."
-Terry Pratchett / Neil Gaiman

A theists for Conservation
cherries

Female

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#277  Postby Jumbo » Mar 24, 2011 2:20 am

The company said that the level of radiation near the main gate of the plant, 1 kilometer west of the No.3 reactor, was 265.1-microsieverts-per-hour at 5 PM.

For some perspective via the xkcd diagram posted earlier; standing at the front gate for 22 hours would mean getting the same dose of radiation as a chest CT scan in a hospital.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#278  Postby Macdoc » Mar 24, 2011 3:19 am

In the no option arena

Hmmm - Dr. Brook on a similar theme today...

It’s nuclear power or it’s climate change
Posted on 24 March 2011 by Barry Brook

I was asked to reflect very briefly (<400 words) on the implications of Fukushima Daiichi to my local city newspaper, The Adelaide Advertiser. The focus was on what it means for Australia, but the basic message resonates for any number of other countries.

—————————–

If you study the history of modern energy, there is only one conclusion you can reach. You can have fossil fuels, or two alternatives: nuclear power and hydroelectricity.

A number of countries in Europe rely almost exclusively on either nuclear power (France), hydro (Norway), or an even mix of the two (Sweden, Switzerland). These are truly low-carbon economies.

What of Denmark, which has taken the wind route? It only gets 20 per cent of its electricity from wind, but must also sell it cheaply to the rest of Scandinavia when production is higher than demand, and buy in coal-fired electricity when there is little wind.

Even with 20 per cent wind, Denmark has among the highest greenhouse gas emissions per person in Europe. France has among the lowest.

Australia has no access to large-scale hydro. We do have abundant uranium, and a high technology society in a geologically stable region, all perfect for the deployment of nuclear power.

Or, we can burn more coal and gas. It’s nuclear power, or it’s climate change.

What of the solar and wind dream? I sure hope they work out, and can provide a lot more energy for us in the future. But history is not on their side. No country has displaced its fossil fuel fleet in the past by using these energy sources, for a number of practical engineering and economic reasons.

more

http://bravenewclimate.com/2011/03/24/np-or-cc/#more-4259

Can we clearly also state that N Korea and Pakistan are nuclear powers and weapon control is an entirely different discussion.

The nations MOST responsible for climate change are all nuclear powers and it would mitigate past emissions by spending on nuclear and other C02 reduction programs to offset some future damage.

The technology is there.....

nimby monkeys and feeble minded, feeble willed politicians standing in the way ..:mad:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#279  Postby Onyx8 » Mar 24, 2011 7:01 am

:thumbup:
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#280  Postby 95Theses » Mar 24, 2011 7:35 am

jez9999 wrote:
Matt_B wrote:EDF have just received a ticking off for safety breaches at UK plants:

Oh wow, The Guardian, that unrivaled bastion of non-bias when it comes to nuclear power, decry the incredible danger caused by one pump failure in an array of redundant pumps, and by a seaweed blockage.

But at least they quoted some unbiased experts to back them up, eh? Like the SNP, whose irrational hatred of nuclear power has been held almost as long as their irrational hatred of England and obsession with their pathetic little Scots Gaelic language. Or maybe the non-partisan Mr. Pete Roche,
an Edinburgh-based nuclear consultant and editor of the no2nuclearpower.org.uk website

:rofl:

To be fair to the Guardian they also ran this piece by George Monbiot :

You will not be surprised to hear that the events in Japan have changed my view of nuclear power. You will be surprised to hear how they have changed it. As a result of the disaster at Fukushima, I am no longer nuclear-neutral. I now support the technology.

A crappy old plant with inadequate safety features was hit by a monster earthquake and a vast tsunami. The electricity supply failed, knocking out the cooling system. The reactors began to explode and melt down. The disaster exposed a familiar legacy of poor design and corner-cutting. Yet, as far as we know, no one has yet received a lethal dose of radiation.

Some greens have wildly exaggerated the dangers of radioactive pollution. For a clearer view, look at the graphic published by xkcd.com. It shows that the average total dose from the Three Mile Island disaster for someone living within 10 miles of the plant was one 625th of the maximum yearly amount permitted for US radiation workers. This, in turn, is half of the lowest one-year dose clearly linked to an increased cancer risk, which, in its turn, is one 80th of an invariably fatal exposure. I'm not proposing complacency here. I am proposing perspective.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... -fukushima
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts - Bertrand Russel

Quoting yourself in your own signature is both narcissistic and plain weird - 95Theses
95Theses
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Science & Technology