Posted: Nov 05, 2018 3:12 pm
by Macdoc
Adco your rock formation looks like kopje


They are volcanic in nature and then eroded to form the very fertile plains.

Also called an Inselberg which is a new word for me tho the meaning is obvious.

An inselberg or monadnock (/məˈnædnɒk/) is an isolated rock hill, knob, ridge, or small mountain that rises abruptly from a gently sloping or virtually level surrounding plain. In southern and south-central Africa, a similar formation of granite is known as a koppie, an Afrikaans word ("little head") from the Dutch word kopje.[1] If the inselberg is dome-shaped and formed from granite or gneiss, it can also be called a bornhardt, though not all bornhardts are inselbergs.

Pretty sure the geology is fairly complex but fun to chase down.