Posted: Aug 02, 2017 1:24 pm
by Wortfish
Rumraket wrote:
It is not that any particular pro-junk-DNA argument can't be rationalized away with some ad-hoc hypothesis, but it is the totality of the evidence for junk, that shows it really is junk.


We know only 5% of the genome is conserved by selection but for the other 95% the sequence itself may not be so important. I find it totally plausible that sequence spacers allow transcription factors to avoid colliding with each other and causing congestion.