2012 galactic allignment?

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

2012 galactic allignment?

#1  Postby magikrooster » Nov 23, 2012 12:39 am

I don't know if this belongs in pseudoscience, but I'll post it here as I'm interested to know of the claim is verifiable. I've come across the claim that on 21st Dec 2012 our planet will be at the closest proximity to the heart of our galaxy. And, that it will at this point be unobstructed or eclipsed by any other planets.
What I'm interested in is, is this in fact true? (never mind the associated ideas that go along with this concept in various circles)
magikrooster

Name: m
Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Re: 2012 galactic allignment?

#2  Postby Onyx8 » Nov 23, 2012 1:25 am

Closest proximity since when?

What will be unobstructed or eclipsed?

It's an incoherent claim.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby BlackBart » Nov 23, 2012 1:36 am

It's BS. It takes approximately 250 million years for the Earth to complete one orbit of the galactic center, so any change in distance to it, between now and then or even now and a thousand years, will be infintesimal. And as we're 25,000 light-years away from the center there's all sorts of things between us and it, suns, planets, gas clouds etc.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Onyx8 » Nov 23, 2012 1:39 am

As I said, incoherent.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Onyx8

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Rome Existed » Nov 23, 2012 1:47 am

It is true that the Earth, Sun and Galactic Core will line up on that date............... as it does every year.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby klazmon » Nov 23, 2012 2:59 am

magikrooster wrote:I don't know if this belongs in pseudoscience, but I'll post it here as I'm interested to know of the claim is verifiable. I've come across the claim that on 21st Dec 2012 our planet will be at the closest proximity to the heart of our galaxy. And, that it will at this point be unobstructed or eclipsed by any other planets.
What I'm interested in is, is this in fact true? (never mind the associated ideas that go along with this concept in various circles)

The centre of the galaxy is located towards Sagittarius which will be approaching solar conjunction in late December. Hence the Sun will be between the Earth and the galactic core. This happens every year as does solar opposition with Sagittarius six months later. Bottom line is that the proposition is a load of shite.
klazmon

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Made of Stars » Nov 23, 2012 8:48 pm

!
GENERAL MODNOTE
Thread moved to Pseudoscience (because we don't have a forum called 'Dumbarsery').
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#8  Postby sennekuyl » Nov 23, 2012 10:15 pm

klazmon wrote:
magikrooster wrote:I don't know if this belongs in pseudoscience, but I'll post it here as I'm interested to know of the claim is verifiable. I've come across the claim that on 21st Dec 2012 our planet will be at the closest proximity to the heart of our galaxy. And, that it will at this point be unobstructed or eclipsed by any other planets.

The centre of the galaxy is located towards Sagittarius which will be approaching solar conjunction in late December. Hence the SunEarth will be between the EarthSun and the galactic core. This happens every year as does solar opposition with Sagittarius six months later. Bottom line is that the proposition is a load of shite.

FIFY.

Essentially, Magicrooster, the alignment is verifiable so people conflate 1 fact's verification as verification of multiples other assertions laid along side it. As others have said, it happens every year so it isn't even an unusual astronomical event.
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Zwaarddijk » Nov 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Sounds like there's some weird idea here as well along the lines that there's some risky thing about being in some kind of "direct alignment". Which there isn't either.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#10  Postby sennekuyl » Nov 23, 2012 11:26 pm

The rationalisation is that the alignment of the objects puts earth between two large gravitational 'fields' that allows cosmic plasma to flow from the galactic centre towards the sun. They seem to confuse magnetic fields with gravity. The proponents don't have a grasp of either physics or interstellar/intra-galatic distances.
Defining Australians:
When returning home from overseas, you expect to be brutally strip-searched by Customs – just in case you're trying to sneak in fruit.
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby klazmon » Nov 24, 2012 10:36 am

sennekuyl wrote:
klazmon wrote:

The centre of the galaxy is located towards Sagittarius which will be approaching solar conjunction in late December. Hence the SunEarth will be between the EarthSun and the galactic core. This happens every year as does solar opposition with Sagittarius six months later. Bottom line is that the proposition is a load of shite.

FIFY.

Wrong. It was correct as I wrote it.
klazmon

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Nicko » Nov 24, 2012 11:10 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJjQMwEjC1I[/youtube]
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby sennekuyl » Nov 24, 2012 11:59 pm

klazmon wrote:Wrong. It was correct as I wrote it.

You're right. I'd mixed it up with other alignments. :thumbup: Sorry for getting it wrong.
Defining Australians:
sennekuyl

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 25, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi magickrooster. This is a type of claim related to puddle thinking. I don't know if you know Douglas Adams' famous line...

... imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in - an interesting hole I find myself in - fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!'

You'll note that throughout human history, the famous stories all place humans at some kind of special place, or for some special purpose, or just with a special vantage point. This narrative forms a monomyth shared by all people, throughout all time. You can see it in the idea you shared above. The way to evade puddle thinking is to put stuff into context:

Closest proximity compared to all the other hundreds of billions of stars that are far closer? So why is that important?

Closest proximity relative to our normal proximity? That is a trivial amount comparative to the distances involved. Even were it true, what relevance does it have? Is there some dangerous force emanating all the way from the galactic centre that we're normally just beyond? What is this special force, why is it dangerous, and who precisely is saying that there is such a force?

The notion that the centre of the galaxy is somehow a special thing from which to be obstructed or not, or which can be eclipsed by other planets of lesser significance (although obviously more proximal). Some galactic symmetry hinges on our special planet, and when it arrives at a position then something of galactic consequence will occur?

Let's assume the coherent parts of the claim are true. That on 21st Dec 2012 our planet moves into the closest proximity to the centre of the universe that it's ever been. What happens? Absolutely nothing at all. There are billions of grains of dust and gas clouds between us and the centre of the universe - why would a poxy little planet or sun be of significance in eclipsing the centre of the galaxy - presumably a fucking great big black hole - from us in particular? What possible relevance does it have? If it's true, and I doubt it as most of it's incoherent with respect to elementary facts about our galaxy, then all it means is what it says - that we'll be at our closest proximity to the centre of the galaxy in X time. Perhaps a fun fact for astronomers, but public significance - zero.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Zwaarddijk » Nov 25, 2012 5:41 pm

Damn good post, spearthrower.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post