Alkaline water

with a pH of 10!

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Alkaline water

#1  Postby Alan C » Feb 18, 2019 8:51 am

Celebrity crank chef Pete Evans is hawking alkaline water with a pH of 10, similar to household cleaning solutions.

Pete Evans alkaline water

I do see this is the Torygraph [is the Australian version as bad], but it does appear to me they are rightfully calling out dangerous pseudo-scientific horseshit which could cause harm.

Alternative health practitioners claim alkaline water can reduce inflammation in the body by ridding it of acid, which they claim is caused by foods like meat and eggs.

“You can put in acid or ­alkaline but in order to keep the internal pH constant your kidneys and lungs get rid of it,” Prof Rolan said.

“This is a nine or 10 on the Richter scale of BS.”
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Alkaline water

#2  Postby Alan B » Feb 18, 2019 2:59 pm

A pH of 10?
FFS! what will that do to the Stomach Acid (HCl)?
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby romansh » Feb 18, 2019 5:02 pm

Alan B wrote:A pH of 10?
FFS! what will that do to the Stomach Acid (HCl)?

Frankly pH 10 is not that high ... 10^-4 mol/L hydroxide or equivalent. The stomach is pH 1.5 to 3.5, ie either similar acidity to the alkaline water or a factor 10 or so higher.

I can't help wondering which alkali is used to make the water basic. I would be more worried about the quantity of alkali rather than its pH (although pH is a reflection of the quantity). A litre of this water would have the same neutralizing power as 10^-4 x 50 g of calcium carbonate ... 0.02 g. (active ingriediendt of TUMS). Though at some point, a high pH will damage tissues on the way down. Not sure pH 10 is it.

Having said all that it is all fruitloopery.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#4  Postby Svartalf » Feb 19, 2019 3:52 pm

well, alkaline solutions have their advantages, like the limewater used to nixtamalize corn, but making too regular use of a deeply basic liquid is intuitively a bad idea... I don't have any certitude about the actual effects, for good or ill
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby romansh » Feb 19, 2019 8:08 pm

Full strength lime water is getting up there about pH 12.5 or a bit more depending on the temperature.

I suspect the pH 10 water is lime water that has been diluted a couple of hundred times.
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#6  Postby Alan C » Feb 20, 2019 7:22 am

romansh wrote:Full strength lime water is getting up there about pH 12.5 or a bit more depending on the temperature.

I suspect the pH 10 water is lime water that has been diluted a couple of hundred times.

Homeopathic alkaline water? :batty:

So it's not as dangerous as it sounds [depending on which alkali is used]?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#7  Postby romansh » Feb 22, 2019 7:19 am

Alan C wrote:
So it's not as dangerous as it sounds [depending on which alkali is used]?

If you mixed a can of Coke, 50/50 with pH 10 water ... the mixure would still be quite acidic.

Its more wooish than dangerous I suspect.
romansh

Print view this post

Return to Pseudoscience