Can Ether Drift Really Be Detected With Magnets?

A new experiment with magnets might detect ether drift

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Can Ether Drift Really Be Detected With Magnets?

#1  Postby Jim Miller » Feb 23, 2020 6:40 pm

A recent experiment with magnets might detect ether drift:

http://www.jimetherdrift20drift.html

A reason called "undulatory propagation" is suggested as the possible cause for the inability of experiments with light to detect ether drift.
Jim Miller
Banned Spammer

Name: DAVID CAMERON

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Can Ether Drift Really Be Detected With Magnets?

#2  Postby Hermit » Feb 24, 2020 8:19 am

What? No link to http://www.orgonelab.org?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Svartalf » Feb 24, 2020 8:44 am

I know that luminiferous ether is an outdated scientific theory, I don't know a thing about ether drift, do I smell woo?
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 24, 2020 9:06 am

Hermit wrote:What? No link to http://www.orgonelab.org?

It's linked from the OP's link. How do I know that? Research!
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Hermit » Feb 24, 2020 9:27 am

Svartalf wrote:I know that luminiferous ether is an outdated scientific theory, I don't know a thing about ether drift, do I smell woo?

Just another unrecognised genius who turns to forums of renown because those dumbfucks in their ivory towers don't recognise Truth™ when it's right in front of their eyes.

He is one of those, as reflected in the misquote that heads the web page he links to. Apparently Albert Einstein thought of people like him (in reality it was Bertrand Russell), when he wrote this in a letter dated 19 March 1940 to Morris Raphael Cohen, professor emeritus of philosophy at the College of the City of New York:
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.

Jim got it down as:
Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thoughts in clear form.

and claims it appeared in The New York Times on the same day Einstein wrote the abovementioned letter to Cohen.

The link to http://www.orgonelab.org/miller.htm appears shortly after. Jim advises his reader to consult that site for a more complete account of the Michelson–Morley experiment. I prefer to consult the Wikipedia on the matter.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Hermit » Feb 24, 2020 9:48 am

Cito di Pense wrote:

Yup. I keep falling into rabbit holes too. I wondered why Jim did not mention it in his OP. He obviously values it as a resource for the justification of the existence of luminiferous aether.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 24, 2020 9:58 am

Jim Miller wrote:A recent experiment with magnets might detect ether drift:

http://www.jimetherdrift2013.net/etherdrift.html

A reason called "undulatory propagation" is suggested as the possible cause for the inability of experiments with light to detect ether drift.

1) It's not really 'recent' as the website says 8 years ago.
2) Why would any credible proponent of an idea self-publish to a website rather than submitting it to a peer-reviewed journal where relevant experts in the field would be able to consider the value of the experiment?
3) Why have you just joined this webforum and your first post is to link to a random website claiming experimentally validated conclusions based on an experiment from 8 years ago?
4) Your name is Jim, and the website owner's name appears to be Jim - coincidence?
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Alan B » Feb 24, 2020 12:23 pm

I'm sure there was Ether Drift in medical establishments of yore... :shifty:
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Cito di Pense » Feb 24, 2020 12:29 pm

Hermit wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:

Yup. I keep falling into rabbit holes too. I wondered why Jim did not mention it in his OP. He obviously values it as a resource for the justification of the existence of luminiferous aether.

Actually, quite a large number of sites link to orgonelab.org. Do you think that's entirely Jim's handiwork?

We could call this thread spam and ask to have it binned on that basis. I've reported it as such.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#10  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 24, 2020 1:03 pm

It feels like I've gone out to my car and someone put a flier under the windshield wiper, it rained and then dried in the sun, so now I've got to scrape bits of paper pulp off my windshield.

A reason called "unconsidered propagation" is suggested as the possible cause.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby newolder » Feb 24, 2020 1:23 pm

Since Standard Model electromagnetism is described by the group U(1), I guess we could call "undulatory propagation" u-woo to keep in line with the gloo-woo of another topic. Next, we need a proponent to describe the weak force as uhu-woo and we're getting close to a stick theory of everywoo :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Hermit » Feb 24, 2020 3:26 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
Hermit wrote:Actually, quite a large number of sites link to orgonelab.org. Do you think that's entirely Jim's handiwork?

I couldn't care less. It's home page says orgonelab.org is James DeMeo's Research Website. As to http://www.jimetherdrift2013.net/etherdrift.html, same care factor.

Cito di Pense wrote:We could call this thread spam and ask to have it binned on that basis.

Just let it sink, I say. It'll join dozens of similarly cuckoo threads near the bottom of the pile.

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Feb 24, 2020 5:02 pm

After reading the linked article I find no consideration for the natural field lines of the earth disturbing the apparatus when placed so those earth generated magnetics cross/break the setup field lines as opposed to aligned with earth’s field lines. Calling math used in support of empirical evidence “gobbledygook” should be a huge red flag. A validation of the findings would be to use another magnet to test both arrangements and see if field lines crossing the test equipment reacted as documented. If indeed both setups reacted similarly to an external magnetic force, no matter their relationship to N/S of the earth, one would need to eliminate the earth’s magnetic fields from the test. I know of no force, barrier or material in the universe that cancels earth’s, or any, magnetic field. All that was done here is a detection of the variations in earth’s magnetic field, and can be see in auroral displays. None of those are smooth, but have waves, ripples or complete voids which match these field lines earth generates.

I would suspect that such tests have been done before. I would also suspect the author has a woefully inadequate understanding of research into our solar systems’s motion through space. This is not a revelation of anything expect an inadequate education of how to apply critical thought, how to research such matters or how to present findings for review.

Basically we are seeing another Expanding Earth fiasco take form.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby newolder » Feb 24, 2020 5:23 pm

Having not read the linked stuff too deeply - probably because there is no requirement for a medium (the aether) for the transmission of e-m radiation (Maxwell) and such a medium's presence was disproved by Michelson-Morley - there's not much I can add apart from the fact that since the Meisner effect prevents magnetic fields from penterating into a superconductor, I wonder if this could be incorporated by Jim Miller in any future trials. :dunno:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Feb 24, 2020 5:27 pm

Forgot about superconductors. I stand corrected.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby campermon » Feb 24, 2020 6:48 pm

Aether eh?

:coffee:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby BlackBart » Feb 24, 2020 7:10 pm

Ethel who? :ask:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby newolder » Feb 24, 2020 7:16 pm

campermon wrote:Aether eh?

:coffee:

So I was taught in physics class, ether was a chemical anaesthetic liquid/vapour substance in chemistry/biology lessons. I could easily be wrong though and not for the first time. :scratch:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby laklak » Feb 24, 2020 7:28 pm

Magnets.jpg
Magnets.jpg (65.94 KiB) Viewed 517 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Fallible » Feb 24, 2020 7:29 pm

BlackBart wrote:Ethel who? :ask:

Ethel Drift. You know, used to wash the step of a Tuesday.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Pseudoscience