Cancer : the forbidden cures

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Cancer : the forbidden cures

#1  Postby MarkP80 » Aug 31, 2015 11:22 pm

So, yesterday I was a little tipsy while scrolling through my Facebook page, when I came across my cousin's post about how you can revert cancer with the right diet and drinking alkaline water.
I usually don't bother with her posts, which are all about natural remedies and foods, and all conspiracy wacko stuff.
But I was typsy, so I went and commented
Now she put up this video for me to watch, and I wish I could give a proper rebuttal, but in all honesty I'm really no expert in the field. All I know is that no, scientists aren't lying to make money off of patients, and no, you can't cure cancer with fruit and alkaline water.
But still, I was hoping maybe somebody here has watched the video, or knows of a good link debunking it, as I can only find five star reviews for it.
Here's the link if anyone wants to watch it: https://youtu.be/km2cqQNFtEs

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
MarkP80

Name: Mark Pereira
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Cancer : the forbidden cures

#2  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Sep 01, 2015 3:43 am

If there was some part of fruit and alkaline water that could be used to help people with cancer, I don't say cure because sometimes it isn't about curing, then Big Pharma as they call it would take it and ram it into a liquid or a pill and sell it. They wouldn't try and hide it they would make money off it in a much stronger form.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 01, 2015 5:40 am

That's a given. Just two examples of the top of my head. Quinine and aspirin. Both derived initially from tree barks and later produced synthetically. If the fruit bowl and some water cured cancer, there's a Nobel prize and stack of cash to be made right now. Why waste time and money on other research if the cure's already been discovered? But some little corner of the interweb knows this secret, the big pill producers are blind to it or covering up the chance for fame, glory and mega bucks? Don't think so.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Pebble » Sep 01, 2015 5:42 pm

This is obviously from a group that have convinced themselves that big bad pharma is the problem and is cherry picking facts.

Claim 1 - Incidence of cancer increased from 1:100 to 3/10 in the past 100 years - Epidemiology and diagnosis was primitive back then and population aging has changed the prevalence - best put in the following link http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skepticalraptorblog.php/cancer-prevalent-usa-another-myth-debunked/

Claim 2 no improvement in 5 year survival "2/3 of Americans with cancer will be dead in 5 years. Again not true despite older age at diagnosis for most cancers. http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/health-professional/cancer-statistics/survival/common-cancers-compared#heading-Three

More I'm sure but got bored.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#5  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 01, 2015 5:58 pm

Once someone has drunken the Alkaline Kool-Aid about a scientist conspiracy, there is no reasoning with them. No matter what evidence in clinical studies you provide they have already poisoned the well.

Nothing left but to point and laugh.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Pebble » Sep 01, 2015 8:05 pm

MarkP80 wrote:S https://youtu.be/km2cqQNFtEs

Offcom has provided a detailed rebuttal of this program:

"However, the broadcaster did not present the facts of conventional or alternative cancer treatments in this highly partial and alarmist documentary in a sufficiently accurate and objective manner so as to provide adequate context and so protection for viewers."
Attachments
obb228.pdf
(779.59 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#7  Postby MarkP80 » Sep 01, 2015 11:52 pm

Thanks for the help everyone.
I am in kind of a serious pickle here lol.
Thing is this is my little cousin, I don't want to get into arguments with her, so I'm thinking I might as well just not answer back.
But on the other hand she posted the video for me to watch, together with a semi long answer to my little drunk remark.
So in that sense I feel like I owe her a response.
I don't know, I guess I'll just leave it alone, and if she brings it up I'll just tell her like it is.
Again, thanks for all the help. Even if I don't answer her, it was informative to me also.

MarkP80

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby lucek » Sep 02, 2015 12:43 am

The alkaline water is the simpler to debunk. For a simple point it does jack and shit. You're body is really good at maintaining PH. It's actually a very important part of breathing. Blood PH and to a large part the PH of the rest of your body is dependant on CO2. It's for a good reason. If your PH is off either, high or low, you will get really sick.

On the other side it is a little more tenuous but it comes down to three things.

First cancer isn't normal. The cancer cells are damaged cells that multiply out of control and have lost the ability to commit suicide. To date no not a single diet is able to revert either mutation that makes cancer deadly. Nothing short of fixing the DNA would do that.

But more importantly, cancer is you. It is you're body run amuk. It takes exactly the same stuff as the surrounding normal cells just more starving them out. This is why chemo works. It's like 10 people eating poisoned food the one who eats the most food gets the most poison and is most likely to die. This is also why what is claimed good nutrition and antioxidants don't work. Feed your body well and keep it safe for oxidative stress and the cancer benefits more then the rest of you.

Finally there are the claims that it improves your immune system. This is flat out wrong. Diet and stress do have minor effects on some parts of the immune system but working at 100% efficiency the cancer more then likely is invisible to your immune system. Again it is you, your cells. Bringing me to my last point if you train your immune system to attack the cancer cells there is a possibility it will start attacking non cancerous cells leading to an autoimmune disease.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby MarkP80 » Sep 02, 2015 1:14 am

Thanks lucek, very informative post.
Matter of fact, in the video, it claims certain forms of cancer are actually fungus. Crazy, I know.

MarkP80

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby lucek » Sep 02, 2015 1:40 am

MarkP80 wrote:Thanks lucek, very informative post.
Matter of fact, in the video, it claims certain forms of cancer are actually fungus. Crazy, I know.

Not an uncommon thing to hear. Rare fungal infection can mimic certain cancers at least minimally on Xrays. It really hit the intertubes a few years ago when a celeb (can remember who) basically decimated her immune system with steroids and got a body wide fungal infection and said that the doctors who eventually figured out what was wrong scared her by telling her she had months (unsubstantiated claim and given the basic tests that clearly hadn't been done quite impossible to determine) to live and were wrong anyways as there are no side effects from her steroids.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby quas » Nov 28, 2015 12:46 am

Here's something that comes from a credible (???) source:

Ray Kurtzweil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantastic ... ve_Forever
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#12  Postby MaybeSo » May 29, 2016 7:43 pm

Hey, my cousin was into all the macrobiotic diet, natural foods and stuff for 35 years. She got breast cancer anyway. Sibling went on about vegetarian diet being so superior etc. etc. Now she has diabetes. You can provide all sorts of data to them all you want, but it will go in one ear and out the other because they only look at what supports their current viewpoint. Even smart people can be dumb. Big Pharma is guilty of manipulating studies and lying that their products work and hiding their side effects - not hiding cures. A lot of cancers have been successfully treated into remission - or do they ignore the fact that most children who develop leukemia now live rather than die?
MaybeSo

Name: Stephanie

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Pseudoscience