Creationst's video on quantum mechanics.

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Creationst's video on quantum mechanics.

#1  Postby Denny » Nov 30, 2010 3:57 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n426PazcFXE[/youtube]
The world is in exigent need of education.
Denny

Name: Denny
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Creationst's video on quantum mechanics.

#2  Postby Goldenmane » Nov 30, 2010 4:06 pm

"Philosophically this is very challenging."

Uhuh.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#3  Postby Animavore » Nov 30, 2010 4:08 pm

Could I get a summary or do I have to have my intellect sodomised by watching this cock full of bollox?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Goldenmane » Nov 30, 2010 4:13 pm

Animavore wrote:Could I get a summary or do I have to have my intellect sodomised by watching this cock full of bollox?

Summary: "I think I understand that Quantum Mechanics = The Kind of Magic I Like, and I'll pull all sorts of different shades of shit out of my arse to support the notion."

I watched it, and am now dumber than I was due to losing braincells at a greater rate than those lost to drinking (and I was drinking, so I have a base-line to compare).
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Goldenmane

Print view this post

#5  Postby Animavore » Nov 30, 2010 4:15 pm

Goldenmane wrote:
Animavore wrote:Could I get a summary or do I have to have my intellect sodomised by watching this cock full of bollox?

Summary: "I think I understand that Quantum Mechanics = The Kind of Magic I Like, and I'll pull all sorts of different shades of shit out of my arse to support the notion."

I watched it, and am now dumber than I was due to losing braincells at a greater rate than those lost to drinking (and I was drinking, so I have a base-line to compare).

It's not Lion IRC is it?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Goldenmane » Nov 30, 2010 4:19 pm

Animavore wrote:
Goldenmane wrote:

It's not Lion IRC is it?

No comment.

About the same experience though. In aggregate.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Goldenmane

Print view this post

#7  Postby z8000783 » Nov 30, 2010 4:46 pm

Nothing to see here, please move along.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby lucek » Nov 30, 2010 5:16 pm

I managed to get to the point were he claimed that entanglement is because of god.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
lucek

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Denny » Nov 30, 2010 5:28 pm

Basically, "I don't get it and that means God did it."
Denny

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Lion IRC » Dec 02, 2010 2:07 am

Denny wrote:Basically, "I don't get it and that means God did it."

Saying "I dont get it" might not a strong position from which to argue for God but it certainly isnt one to use as an argument against God.

I think the "discovery" of quantum weirdness physics has effectively brought science and religion back closer together.

One wonders how long science needs to prod and poke and sniff at something before it starts wondering..."have we accidentally discovered God"?

Everytime ANOTHER new frontier of cosmology and particle physics is discovered - another false horizon - it ensures that the shelf life of the "God of the Gaps" idea just got lengthened by orders of magnitude.

The rate of discovery by science of just how little we know seems exponential. Maybe they should stop discovering Gaps that need to be filled. We have enough numinous awe already.
FORMAL DEBATE - Lion IRC (affirmative) vs Crocodile Gandhi (negative)
Topic - Gay marriage should not be legalised in society.
Moderator - Durro
Now Showing HERE.
Lion IRC
Banned Troll

Print view this post

#11  Postby z8000783 » Dec 02, 2010 2:14 am

Lion IRC wrote:

Saying "I dont get it" might not a strong position from which to argue for God but it certainly isnt one to use as an argument against God.

I think the "discovery" of quantum weirdness physics has effectively brought science and religion back closer together.

One wonders how long science needs to prod and poke and sniff at something before it starts wondering..."have we accidentally discovered God"?

Everytime ANOTHER new frontier of cosmology and particle physics is discovered - another false horizon - it ensures that the shelf life of the "God of the Gaps" idea just got lengthened by orders of magnitude.

The rate of discovery by science of just how little we know seems exponential. Maybe they should stop discovering Gaps that need to be filled. We have enough numinous awe already.

Just because Quantum Physics has discovered things that appear to be counter intuitive that is because our perceptions systems are limited. The theories of QM have been confirmed to phenomial degrees of accuracy through experimentation and observational data. I am curious to know how this brings us closer to a God that relies on faith for its very existance.

John
I don’t simply believe in miracles - I rely on them
z8000783

Name: WTF
Male

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Denny » Dec 02, 2010 4:03 am

Lion IRC wrote:

Sorry, but I don't see anything substantive here. This is equivocation. Is this intended to obfuscate me intentionally? I can't say yes or no. But this is pure fallacy.
Denny

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Wuffy » Dec 02, 2010 5:06 am

Lion IRC wrote:

*<ERRRRNT>* Sorry, the answer is not stop thinking or discovering more about our universe.

Thanks for playing, but the only really beneficial thing humanity does bring to the table in the grand scheme of things is the ability to keep seeking for answers.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#14  Postby zaybu » Dec 04, 2010 2:55 pm

Lion IRC wrote:

Why do I feel that you have no clue in solving an eigenvalue equation, let alone understanding quantum mechanics?
zaybu

Male

Print view this post

#15  Postby Darkchilde » Dec 07, 2010 11:44 am

zaybu wrote:
Why do I feel that you have no clue in solving an eigenvalue equation, let alone understanding quantum mechanics?

Probably true... [I don't even know whether Lion IRC knows what an eigenvalue is let alone the eigenvalue equations.]

I love your avatar, zaybu. I totally lol'd!
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby tnjrp » Dec 07, 2010 12:18 pm

Darkchilde wrote:I don't even know whether Lion IRC knows what an eigenvalue is let alone the eigenvalue equations
Oh he does. It's quantum weirdness.

Oh, and
:popcorn:
on the off chance there'll be something else of value to read here than tips on "videos to avoid at the risk of cataclysmic brain aneurysm".
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Darkchilde » Dec 08, 2010 1:57 pm

tnjrp wrote:
Darkchilde wrote:I don't even know whether Lion IRC knows what an eigenvalue is let alone the eigenvalue equations
Oh he does. It's quantum weirdness.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

tnjrp wrote:
Oh, and
:popcorn:
on the off chance there'll be something else of value to read here than tips on "videos to avoid at the risk of cataclysmic brain aneurysm".

I didn't watch the video. I try and avoid watching any such videos.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#18  Postby zaybu » Dec 09, 2010 1:23 pm

"Quanta particles operate outside our realm of natural laws" Where do they get such hogwash idea? QM describes the subatomic world quite well and so quanta particles are not outside of natural laws.
zaybu

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby tnjrp » Dec 10, 2010 7:03 am

If that bit is the only problem with the video you can colour me well and truly flabbergasted... :smug:
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Zwaarddijk » Dec 10, 2010 8:28 am

zaybu wrote:"Quanta particles operate outside our realm of natural laws" Where do they get such hogwash idea? QM describes the subatomic world quite well and so quanta particles are not outside of natural laws.

Actually, that wording does make sense - if by 'realm of natural laws' he means 'Newtonian (or even Einsteinian) physics'. If so, this is a slightly clumsy way of saying 'outside natural laws as we (naively) experience them on a day to day basis'. It's bad wording for a (wannabe-)scientific utterance - way too unclear - but in everyday speech, even fuzzier ways of expressing things would be entirely understandable and unremarkable. (Still, the conclusions drawn from it, the usage of BIble verses to show that the NT writers 'prophetically' knew of atomic theory, etc etc is all bullshit, but ... that particular statement is just on the edge of being ok)
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Pseudoscience