Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

Does consciousness survive death?

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#61  Postby Weaver » Nov 15, 2010 4:13 pm

By your "logic", which tells you that consciousness can somehow survive after death, you are totally wrong with the statement "One thing that is undeniable is that all humans will die."

It is POSSIBLE that some human could be immortal. Unlikely as all hell, and would violate everything we know about the universe and how it works - but POSSIBLE.

And no less likely than your fantasy scenario of consciousness surviving after brain death. Bullshit:Bullshit=1.
Image
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
User avatar
Weaver
RS Donator
 
Posts: 20125
Age: 53
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#62  Postby Mr P » Nov 15, 2010 4:13 pm

But you've still no proposed a mechanism for such. Give us something to work with here.
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the wind of a supernova flowing over me! I'm a machine and I can know much more!
Brother Cavil, BSG
User avatar
Mr P
 
Posts: 879
Age: 52
Male

Country: England.
England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#63  Postby rJD » Nov 15, 2010 4:22 pm

darwin2 wrote:Science has arrogantly brainwashed many into to falsely believing it is not possible for consciousness to continue after death.

What utter bollocks! Science has provided the evidence of how the brain appears to be necessary for consciousness, rendering earlier speculation about souls and dualistic existance as unnecessary. As a result of that better understanding, and in the absence of any example of a consciousness without a brain, it is the rational conclusion that a brain appears to be necessary. The question is not whether it is "possible" for consciousness to exist without a brain but whether we have any reason to believe it is.

It takes courage to face up to this delusion and realize it is possible for consciousness to continue after death.

More bollocks. The idea of life after death is a comforter, a security blanket for those who find the idea of their existance coming to an end upsetting. It takes no courage whatsoever to give up reality in favour of a comforting delusion.
I was "jd" in RDF, and am still in Rationalia.com

"Wooberish" - a neologism for woo expressed in gibberish, spread the "meme".

Image
User avatar
rJD
RS Donator
 
Name: John
Posts: 2934
Male

Country: God's Own Country
European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#64  Postby darwin2 » Nov 15, 2010 4:50 pm

cursuswalker wrote:
darwin2 wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:I believe the OP can be filed under 'Wishful thinking- misc.'


I think it can be filed under a courageous rational approach in dealing with the reality of death.


Really?

So how much verifiable evidence do you have for consciousness surviving death? And what the hell has courage got to do with it?


I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness continues after death. I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness ceases death. I state very cleary it is an open issue and that it is possible for consciousness to continue after death. One thing that is undeniable is that all humans will die. However if one finds oneself conscious after death, I offer a suggestion that I think will help a person who may find himself in an afterdeath reality. My suggestion is simple and that is to use the scientific method to explore this afterdeath reality.

Science has arrogantly brainwashed many into to falsely believing it is not possible for consciousness to continue after death. It takes courage to face up to this delusion and realize it is possible for consciousness to continue after death.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#65  Postby trubble76 » Nov 15, 2010 5:00 pm

darwin2 wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:
darwin2 wrote:

I think it can be filed under a courageous rational approach in dealing with the reality of death.


Really?

So how much verifiable evidence do you have for consciousness surviving death? And what the hell has courage got to do with it?


I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness continues after death. I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness ceases death. I state very cleary it is an open issue and that it is possible for consciousness to continue after death. One thing that is undeniable is that all humans will die. However if one finds oneself conscious after death, I offer a suggestion that I think will help a person who may find himself in an afterdeath reality. My suggestion is simple and that is to use the scientific method to explore this afterdeath reality.

Science has arrogantly brainwashed many into to falsely believing it is not possible for consciousness to continue after death. It takes courage to face up to this delusion and realize it is possible for consciousness to continue after death.



This is a strawman argument, google it if you are unsure what that means. Science has not brainwashed anyone. Science does not say that it's not possible for consciousness to continue post-mortem, just that we have zero evidence to support that hypothesis, until some evidence emerges the hypothesis is discarded as useless. However, you have made the positive claim that "...it is possible for consciousness to continue after death" without having any reason whatsoever to make it. And you have the nerve to talk about the scientific method, while repeatedly demonstrating that you have a very poor understanding of it.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
User avatar
trubble76
RS Donator
 
Posts: 11205
Age: 44
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#66  Postby Weaver » Nov 15, 2010 5:32 pm

Why did you post the EXACT same thing twice, with a 51 minute time gap between posts?


darwin2 wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:
darwin2 wrote:

I think it can be filed under a courageous rational approach in dealing with the reality of death.


Really?

So how much verifiable evidence do you have for consciousness surviving death? And what the hell has courage got to do with it?


I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness continues after death. I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness ceases death. I state very cleary it is an open issue and that it is possible for consciousness to continue after death. One thing that is undeniable is that all humans will die. However if one finds oneself conscious after death, I offer a suggestion that I think will help a person who may find himself in an afterdeath reality. My suggestion is simple and that is to use the scientific method to explore this afterdeath reality.

Science has arrogantly brainwashed many into to falsely believing it is not possible for consciousness to continue after death. It takes courage to face up to this delusion and realize it is possible for consciousness to continue after death.



darwin2 wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:
darwin2 wrote:

I think it can be filed under a courageous rational approach in dealing with the reality of death.


Really?

So how much verifiable evidence do you have for consciousness surviving death? And what the hell has courage got to do with it?


I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness continues after death. I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness ceases death. I state very cleary it is an open issue and that it is possible for consciousness to continue after death. One thing that is undeniable is that all humans will die. However if one finds oneself conscious after death, I offer a suggestion that I think will help a person who may find himself in an afterdeath reality. My suggestion is simple and that is to use the scientific method to explore this afterdeath reality.

Science has arrogantly brainwashed many into to falsely believing it is not possible for consciousness to continue after death. It takes courage to face up to this delusion and realize it is possible for consciousness to continue after death.
Image
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
User avatar
Weaver
RS Donator
 
Posts: 20125
Age: 53
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#67  Postby chairman bill » Nov 15, 2010 5:37 pm

By what mechanism would consciousness survive death? How did consciousness develop an ability to survive death? Does it exist pre-incarnation, or does it develop in an organism until such time as it is able to survive on its own? Where is it whilst we are alive? Where does it go when we are dead? What evolutionary advantage is there to the post-death survival of consciousness?

Rather than start from a position of fanciful imagining, then seeking to make facts fit, it might be better to identify the facts, such as we can know them, then hypothesise & test, developing a theory to account for the data revealed by empirical study. Just a thought.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
User avatar
chairman bill
RS Donator
 
Posts: 28350
Male

Country: UK: fucked since 2010
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#68  Postby darwin2 » Nov 15, 2010 6:49 pm

rJD wrote:
darwin2 wrote:At this point in time we have absolutely no evidence that consciousness ceases at death or if it continues after death.

This is not true. We have evidence only of consciousness existing in living beings and it is a reasonable inference from this that consciousness requires a living material body to exist.

Your stated desire to investigate post-mortem consciousness scientifically would seem doomed by the complete lack of any evidence in favour of your hypothesis and an equal failure to provide any means of testing it.


I agree we only have evidence of consciousness existing in living beings but that does not mean that consciousness does not continue after death. Presently we only have evidence that intelligent life lives on our planet. We have no evidence that intelligent life exists anywhere else in our universe. However we can safely say it is possible that intelligent life may exist somewhere else in the universe.

It is not a reasonable inference to say that consciousness requires a living material body to exist. Rather we can conclude that if consciousness continues after death it will require some form and whatever form it will take is the form it will be.

If consciousness ceases at death, I agree that investigating post mortem consciousness is doomed. However if consciousness continues after death, the evidence will be abundant. And at this point in time the scientific reality is that it is possible for consciousness can survive death. And please note I am not stating consciousness survives death. I am only stating it is possible for consciousness to survive death.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#69  Postby darwin2 » Nov 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Mr P wrote:It may be possible for consciousness to survive the death of the body via some technological means in the distant future, but how do you propose this without a physical substrate... if that's what you're getting at?


I think I may be able to answer your question by addressing this question. If intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, what form will it take? The form it takes will be the form it has. Now what form will consciousness take if it survives death? It will take whatever form it gets and this will be the form it has. I have absolutely no idea what that form may be.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#70  Postby my_wan » Nov 15, 2010 7:19 pm

darwin2 wrote:I agree we only have evidence of consciousness existing in living beings but that does not mean that consciousness does not continue after death.

The same logic says the lack of evidence does not mean Alpha Centauri does not have a planet made of cheese.

darwin2 wrote:Presently we only have evidence that intelligent life lives on our planet. We have no evidence that intelligent life exists anywhere else in our universe.

Actually we do. We actually know one example of a planet that has intelligent life, Earth. This is actual real observable evidence that immeasurably trumps the lack of evidence for life after death.

darwin2 wrote:However we can safely say it is possible that intelligent life may exist somewhere else in the universe.

Yes, but only because the evidence, however insufficient it is to make claims on, is in fact real and observable evidence.

darwin2 wrote:It is not a reasonable inference to say that consciousness requires a living material body to exist. Rather we can conclude that if consciousness continues after death it will require some form and whatever form it will take is the form it will be.

Yes, which makes it in principle observable. Making the lack of evidence an even bigger problem for life after death considerations. That's also why I made the comment on the issue of finding myself alive after death was: I wonder if I can play games with the SETI people.

darwin2 wrote:If consciousness ceases at death, I agree that investigating post mortem consciousness is doomed. However if consciousness continues after death, the evidence will be abundant. And at this point in time the scientific reality is that it is possible for consciousness can survive death. And please note I am not stating consciousness survives death. I am only stating it is possible for consciousness to survive death.

Although I think the odds are too outrageous to take even a little seriously, as a matter of principle I don't see a problem with your statements here. Except perhaps one of implied probability scale implied by "possible". There is always a bleeding edge to probability, which makes winning the lottery 10 times in a row look like good odds.
User avatar
my_wan
 
Posts: 967
Male

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#71  Postby darwin2 » Nov 15, 2010 7:23 pm

Goldenmane wrote:
darwin2 wrote:You are making a red herring out of 50:50 odds and over-looking the basic reality of this thread. We humans are going to die at some point in this very short existence. Either death ends consciousness or it survives it. If consciousness survives I suggest for one who finds himself in an after death reality to use the scientific method to explore whatever death reality one may find himself in.


I suggest that your position as presented is patent bollocks.

For a start, it's poorly presented: learn to parse your sentences, mate. Secondly, you have to define "consciousness": you're going to run in to a lot of problems doing so, the most obvious one being demonstrating a single well-recorded instance of a "conscious mind" existing absent a physical substrate - brain.

Were you conscious before, say, the age of 18 months? Do you remember actual events back then or before? How about in your past lives? Can you actually provide anything other than wild speculation and patent bullshit to support your claims?

Good luck, I look forward to your challenges.



First of all, I don't claim to be a great or good writer. What you see is what you get. If this doesn't meet your standards either ignore my posts or go to some other thread.

Second, I defined consciousness to you in a previous post.

Third, I never made a claim that I can demonstrate a single well-recorded instance of a "conscious mind" existing absent a physical substrate - brain.

Fourth, I did make the scientific statement that it is possible for consciousness to continue after death. If consciousness continues after death it will exist in whatever form it finds itself in after death. And that Sir is a correct scientific statement.

Fifth,In your question “what about your past lives?” you imply I have had past lives and that you have some psychic powers that has revealed to you I have had past lives. Come on Sir, let’s get real here. I respect your right to believe in reincarnation and past lives but this thread is not about past lives, it is only about the possibility of consciousness surviving death in this life.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#72  Postby darwin2 » Nov 15, 2010 7:36 pm

Weaver wrote:By your "logic", which tells you that consciousness can somehow survive after death, you are totally wrong with the statement "One thing that is undeniable is that all humans will die."

It is POSSIBLE that some human could be immortal. Unlikely as all hell, and would violate everything we know about the universe and how it works - but POSSIBLE.

And no less likely than your fantasy scenario of consciousness surviving after brain death. Bullshit:Bullshit=1.


I apologize Sir. I wasn't aware of the fact that some humans don't die. Obviously you are more informed than me. I have been brainwashed into believing all humans die. I want to go back to my grammar school, high school and college and present my teachers with the evidence that you have that supports the fact that some humans don't die. I am going to kick some butt. The nerve of those schools teaching me that all humans die. It is no wonder our education system is in deep trouble.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#73  Postby darwin2 » Nov 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Mr P wrote:But you've still no proposed a mechanism for such. Give us something to work with here.


If you read my opening statement again, you will see that indeed I have proposed a mechanism for surviving death. I was very clear on this mechanism. I stated that if one finds oneself conscious after the death of their physical body, I suggested the Scientific Method to explore this new reality. Can you think of anything better than using the Scientific Method to explore this new reality. Again, I want to emphasize that I am not stating consciousness survives the death of the physical body, I am only stating that it is possible for consciousness to survive death.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#74  Postby darwin2 » Nov 15, 2010 8:00 pm

rJD wrote:
darwin2 wrote:Science has arrogantly brainwashed many into to falsely believing it is not possible for consciousness to continue after death.

What utter bollocks! Science has provided the evidence of how the brain appears to be necessary for consciousness, rendering earlier speculation about souls and dualistic existance as unnecessary. As a result of that better understanding, and in the absence of any example of a consciousness without a brain, it is the rational conclusion that a brain appears to be necessary. The question is not whether it is "possible" for consciousness to exist without a brain but whether we have any reason to believe it is.

It takes courage to face up to this delusion and realize it is possible for consciousness to continue after death.

More bollocks. The idea of life after death is a comforter, a security blanket for those who find the idea of their existance coming to an end upsetting. It takes no courage whatsoever to give up reality in favour of a comforting delusion.


Sir, Science has never demonstrated that it is impossible for consciousness to exist outside the brain. It has done great things in explaining how the brain works. Science tries to brainwash people like you into believing that it is impossible for consciousness to exist without a brain. Obviously they have been successful. I find this brainwashing by fundamental scientists equivalent to fundamental preachers brainwashing their followers into believing that the bible is the written infallible word of God.

It takes courage to seek the truth especially when you have been brainwashed into believing a delusion. It especially takes courage when those in your social environment are totally committed to a specific delusion that you have found to be wrong.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#75  Postby trubble76 » Nov 15, 2010 8:15 pm

darwin2 wrote:
rJD wrote:
darwin2 wrote:Science has arrogantly brainwashed many into to falsely believing it is not possible for consciousness to continue after death.

What utter bollocks! Science has provided the evidence of how the brain appears to be necessary for consciousness, rendering earlier speculation about souls and dualistic existance as unnecessary. As a result of that better understanding, and in the absence of any example of a consciousness without a brain, it is the rational conclusion that a brain appears to be necessary. The question is not whether it is "possible" for consciousness to exist without a brain but whether we have any reason to believe it is.

It takes courage to face up to this delusion and realize it is possible for consciousness to continue after death.

More bollocks. The idea of life after death is a comforter, a security blanket for those who find the idea of their existance coming to an end upsetting. It takes no courage whatsoever to give up reality in favour of a comforting delusion.


Sir, Science has never demonstrated that it is impossible for consciousness to exist outside the brain. It has done great things in explaining how the brain works. Science tries to brainwash people like you into believing that it is impossible for consciousness to exist without a brain. Obviously they have been successful. I find this brainwashing by fundamental scientists equivalent to fundamental preachers brainwashing their followers into believing that the bible is the written infallible word of God.

It takes courage to seek the truth especially when you have been brainwashed into believing a delusion. It especially takes courage when those in your social environment are totally committed to a specific delusion that you have found to be wrong.


Oh, it's the "well you can't disprove it." argument. It's been done to death a million times. For someone that professes to know about science, I'm surprised that you have been caught out by it. Science does not brainwash, it can't. It wouldn't be science if it washed any brains. Religion on the other hand, is quite well known for it's brainwashing. This too is fairly obvious, but again, it seems to have exposed you.
When you have sought the meaning and consequences of peer-review, you will then see that delusion is not something that taints science as readily as it permeates religion.
Your post is just mudslinging, you are just trotting out old, childish arguments and somehow expect us to be impressed by them, and you called those that require evidence deluded. I think jebus had something to say about planks in eyes that is relevant.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
User avatar
trubble76
RS Donator
 
Posts: 11205
Age: 44
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post


Re: Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#77  Postby darwin2 » Nov 15, 2010 8:31 pm

Weaver wrote:Why did you post the EXACT same thing twice, with a 51 minute time gap between posts?


darwin2 wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:

Really?

So how much verifiable evidence do you have for consciousness surviving death? And what the hell has courage got to do with it?


I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness continues after death. I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness ceases death. I state very cleary it is an open issue and that it is possible for consciousness to continue after death. One thing that is undeniable is that all humans will die. However if one finds oneself conscious after death, I offer a suggestion that I think will help a person who may find himself in an afterdeath reality. My suggestion is simple and that is to use the scientific method to explore this afterdeath reality.

Science has arrogantly brainwashed many into to falsely believing it is not possible for consciousness to continue after death. It takes courage to face up to this delusion and realize it is possible for consciousness to continue after death.



darwin2 wrote:
cursuswalker wrote:

Really?

So how much verifiable evidence do you have for consciousness surviving death? And what the hell has courage got to do with it?


I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness continues after death. I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness ceases death. I state very cleary it is an open issue and that it is possible for consciousness to continue after death. One thing that is undeniable is that all humans will die. However if one finds oneself conscious after death, I offer a suggestion that I think will help a person who may find himself in an afterdeath reality. My suggestion is simple and that is to use the scientific method to explore this afterdeath reality.

Science has arrogantly brainwashed many into to falsely believing it is not possible for consciousness to continue after death. It takes courage to face up to this delusion and realize it is possible for consciousness to continue after death.


Obviously, I got distracted.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#78  Postby trubble76 » Nov 15, 2010 8:38 pm

darwin2 wrote:
Weaver wrote:Why did you post the EXACT same thing twice, with a 51 minute time gap between posts?


darwin2 wrote:

I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness continues after death. I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness ceases death. I state very cleary it is an open issue and that it is possible for consciousness to continue after death. One thing that is undeniable is that all humans will die. However if one finds oneself conscious after death, I offer a suggestion that I think will help a person who may find himself in an afterdeath reality. My suggestion is simple and that is to use the scientific method to explore this afterdeath reality.

Science has arrogantly brainwashed many into to falsely believing it is not possible for consciousness to continue after death. It takes courage to face up to this delusion and realize it is possible for consciousness to continue after death.



darwin2 wrote:

I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness continues after death. I have absolutely no evidence that consciousness ceases death. I state very cleary it is an open issue and that it is possible for consciousness to continue after death. One thing that is undeniable is that all humans will die. However if one finds oneself conscious after death, I offer a suggestion that I think will help a person who may find himself in an afterdeath reality. My suggestion is simple and that is to use the scientific method to explore this afterdeath reality.

Science has arrogantly brainwashed many into to falsely believing it is not possible for consciousness to continue after death. It takes courage to face up to this delusion and realize it is possible for consciousness to continue after death.


Obviously, I got distracted.


Distracted, and wrong. :grin:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
User avatar
trubble76
RS Donator
 
Posts: 11205
Age: 44
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#79  Postby Rubicon » Nov 15, 2010 8:53 pm

darwin2 wrote:Third, I never made a claim that I can demonstrate a single well-recorded instance of a "conscious mind" existing absent a physical substrate - brain.

Fourth, I did make the scientific statement that it is possible for consciousness to continue after death. If consciousness continues after death it will exist in whatever form it finds itself in after death. And that Sir is a correct scientific statement.

Your fourth point is not a scientific statement, it is a blind assertion. If it was in any way scientific, it would have been supported by some form of evidence, however small it may be. You have already admitted that you have none, which renders your statement utterly unscientific. While speculating about after-death consciousness may make for interesting mental gymnastics, there is no reason whatsoever to entertain the notion.

Sir, Science has never demonstrated that it is impossible for consciousness to exist outside the brain.

Just like science has never demonstrated that there are no invisible blue baboons on Saturn. There is simply no reason whatsoever to investigate such an absurd claim based on the complete lack of evidence pointing in any direction of the kind.

Science tries to brainwash people like you into believing that it is impossible for consciousness to exist without a brain. Obviously they have been successful. I find this brainwashing by fundamental scientists equivalent to fundamental preachers brainwashing their followers into believing that the bible is the written infallible word of God.

It takes courage to seek the truth especially when you have been brainwashed into believing a delusion. It especially takes courage when those in your social environment are totally committed to a specific delusion that you have found to be wrong.

I am simply going to refer you to canard #2 in this post by Calilasseia:
[2] Science is NOT a branch of apologetics.
Science is as far removed from apologetics as it is possible to be. Science exists to subject erected postulates to empirical test with respect to whether or not those postulates are in accord with observational reality. As a consequence, science is in the business of testing assertions and presuppositions to destruction, Those that fail the requisite tests are discarded. Science modifies its theories to fit reality. Apologetics, on the other hand, consists of erecting convoluted semantic fabrications for the purpose of trying to prop up presuppositions and blind assertions, involves NO empirical testing, and seeks to force-fit reality to the aforementioned presuppositions and blind assertions. Therefore, treating science as if it constitutes a branch of apologetics is dishonest, and those who engage in this pursuit will be regarded with due scorn and derision.
User avatar
Rubicon
 
Posts: 366
Age: 43

Country: The Netherlands
Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

Re: Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#80  Postby darwin2 » Nov 15, 2010 8:56 pm

chairman bill wrote:By what mechanism would consciousness survive death? How did consciousness develop an ability to survive death? Does it exist pre-incarnation, or does it develop in an organism until such time as it is able to survive on its own? Where is it whilst we are alive? Where does it go when we are dead? What evolutionary advantage is there to the post-death survival of consciousness?

Rather than start from a position of fanciful imagining, then seeking to make facts fit, it might be better to identify the facts, such as we can know them, then hypothesise & test, developing a theory to account for the data revealed by empirical study. Just a thought.


Those are excellent questions but they miss the purpose of this thread. The purpose of this thread is to call attention to the reality that it is possible for consciousness to continue after death and If it does to offer a suggestion of a possible method, THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD, to enable a surviving conscious person to explore such a reality if it indeed exists. All of your questions are great but are not relevant to the purpose of this thread.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Pseudoscience

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest