Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

Does consciousness survive death?

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Death - a correct scientific approach for surviving it

#1  Postby darwin2 » Nov 13, 2010 6:52 pm


!
MODNOTE
Thread moved to Pseudoscience.

Spinozasgalt

Does death end consciousness or does consciousness continue after death?

If atheists are correct the reality is simply that death ends it all and consciousness ceases at death. This means that when we die the following takes place. THE SHOW IS OVER! THE CURTAIN HAS COME DOWN! LIGHTS OUT! THE END!

However, if consciousness continues after death, the evidence atheists demanded on the issue of post-mortem survival of consciousness will now be available. After the death of their physical body, atheists will now have to deal with the reality that they are alive and conscious in an after death dimension. Most likely the shock of this new reality will “probably”leave an atheist confused and a little frightened. I suggest the following SCIENTIFIC STRATEGY to guide an atheist through this new experience:

1. Own up to the reality that you are now living in an after death state dimension.

2. Don’t panic.

3. Remember in your previous physical life you were able to do critical thinking and you were able to form hypothesis and theories and able to test your conclusions to ascertain if they were valid or invalid. There is no reason to think these critical thinking skills will be lost here and these skills are “probably” the only things you can take with you when you die.

4. Implement the Scientific Method:

Ask a question.
Do background research.
Construct a Hypothesis.
Test your hypothesis by doing experimentation.
Analyze your data and draw a conclusion about its validity.
If your data supports your conclusion report your results.
If your data shows your conclusion is wrong, try again.

5. While experimenting be aware that your reality“may be” a direct product of your thinking. Whatever you think “may” manifest into reality. So get rid of stupid thoughts like you are in the burning fires of hell and stop visualizing any thoughts of demons tormenting you or some god judging or punishing you now. Challenge any hallucinations you are experiencing. If some demon or god is giving you a hard time, give that demon or god the finger and rush right through it. You will “probably” find these stupid illusions quickly disappearing.

6. While experimenting try something positive by visualizing a peaceful and beautiful environment and you “will probably” instantly be in that place. At this point you will now “probably” realize that your mind dictates what you experience and that you are in total control of your mind and therefore in control of your experiences.

7. Now continue to use the SCIENTIFIC METHOD to explore this new reality. The universe is yours to explore. You are now“probably” going to meet many other intelligent beings some more advanced than you and some not as advanced than you. Your critical thinking skills will enable to figure out the more intelligent ones from the less intelligent ones.

8. If the above happens, you are “probably” now on the road to discovering the Ultimate Truth about the universe and your journey should be extraordinarily ecstatic, extraordinarily fascinating and extraordinarily joyous.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#2  Postby IIzO » Nov 13, 2010 6:55 pm

Hm ,why would an atheist believe that conscioussness end with "death" ?
Between what i think , what i want to say ,what i believe i say ,what i say , what you want to hear , what you hear ,what you understand...there are lots of possibilities that we might have some problem communicating.But let's try anyway.
Bernard Werber
User avatar
IIzO
 
Posts: 2182

Country: La France , evidement.
France (fr)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#3  Postby Weaver » Nov 13, 2010 7:05 pm

How do you assess the probability of your suggested techniques?

How do you know, for example, that rushing through demons will "probably" cause them to disappear, rather than give you a headache and a pissed off demon? How do you know that visualizing a peaceful place "will probably" cause you to instantly be in that place?

Or, as has been used as an example in other threads of this sort ...

How do you know that the invisible unicorn is "probably" pink?
Image
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
User avatar
Weaver
RS Donator
 
Posts: 20125
Age: 53
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#4  Postby The_Metatron » Nov 13, 2010 7:18 pm

Sounds more than probably like bollocks.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
 
Name: Jesse
Posts: 21246
Age: 58
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#5  Postby darwin2 » Nov 13, 2010 8:11 pm

IIzO wrote:Hm ,why would an atheist believe that conscioussness end with "death" ?


I am not an atheist so you will have to ask an atheist that question.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#6  Postby darwin2 » Nov 13, 2010 8:26 pm

Weaver wrote:How do you assess the probability of your suggested techniques?

How do you know, for example, that rushing through demons will "probably" cause them to disappear, rather than give you a headache and a pissed off demon? How do you know that visualizing a peaceful place "will probably" cause you to instantly be in that place?



Read my post correctly. I never said I know. I would not use the word "probably" If I knew that as a fact. I am expressing an opinion and not a fact.

As far as assessing the probability of my suggested techniques, the probability at this point in time based on the scientific evidence available is that there is a 50% chance of consciousness ceasing at death and a 50% chance that consciousness continues after death. If I find myself conscious after death, I will use the Scientific Method to explore this after-death reality I find myself in and i believe the Scientific Method will lead me to the truth whatever the truth turns out to be.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#7  Postby darwin2 » Nov 13, 2010 8:29 pm

The_Metatron wrote:Sounds more than probably like bollocks.


Would you be more specific please and explain why it "sounds more than probably like bollocks."
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#8  Postby IIzO » Nov 13, 2010 8:33 pm

darwin2 wrote:
IIzO wrote:Hm ,why would an atheist believe that conscioussness end with "death" ?


I am not an atheist so you will have to ask an atheist that question.

I am an atheist ,and i still don't see why it is supposed to be an atheist's belief.
Don't you know of the buddhist ? You know those guys who don't believe in god but believe in reincarnations and pasts lives ?
Between what i think , what i want to say ,what i believe i say ,what i say , what you want to hear , what you hear ,what you understand...there are lots of possibilities that we might have some problem communicating.But let's try anyway.
Bernard Werber
User avatar
IIzO
 
Posts: 2182

Country: La France , evidement.
France (fr)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#9  Postby trubble76 » Nov 13, 2010 8:47 pm

There is an afterlife, but only atheists will be allowed into heaven. The lord works in mysterious ways.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
User avatar
trubble76
RS Donator
 
Posts: 11205
Age: 44
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#10  Postby darwin2 » Nov 13, 2010 9:07 pm

IIzO wrote:
darwin2 wrote:
IIzO wrote:Hm ,why would an atheist believe that conscioussness end with "death" ?


I am not an atheist so you will have to ask an atheist that question.

I am an atheist ,and i still don't see why it is supposed to be an atheist's belief.
Don't you know of the buddhist ? You know those guys who don't believe in god but believe in reincarnations and pasts lives ?


Where do I say it is an atheist’s belief? As far as I know an atheist doesn't believe in God or an afterlife. Please correct me if I am wrong.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#11  Postby darwin2 » Nov 13, 2010 9:11 pm

trubble76 wrote:There is an afterlife, but only atheists will be allowed into heaven. The lord works in mysterious ways.


That's a silly, immature and unscientific comment. This is a scientific website. Please be scientific in your responses.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#12  Postby Think Floyd » Nov 13, 2010 9:15 pm

darwin2 wrote:
trubble76 wrote:There is an afterlife, but only atheists will be allowed into heaven. The lord works in mysterious ways.


That's a silly, immature and unscientific comment. This is a scientific website. Please be scientific in your responses.

It's humour, not science.
chairman bill wrote:
Unbridled capitalism is a scary & destructive beast. So long as society acts to tame & control it, it works quite well.
User avatar
Think Floyd
 
Posts: 478
Age: 28
Male

Country: Canada
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#13  Postby Sityl » Nov 13, 2010 9:25 pm

If god is truly omniscient, then he would respect people who have intellectual rigor and punish people who abondon thought and do whatever they're told. Thus, if god exists, atheists go to heaven.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'


Image
User avatar
Sityl
 
Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Posts: 5131
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#14  Postby my_wan » Nov 13, 2010 9:40 pm

darwin2 wrote:
IIzO wrote:Hm ,why would an atheist believe that conscioussness end with "death" ?


I am not an atheist so you will have to ask an atheist that question.

Problem is most of us know atheist who believe in an afterlife. So then why do you say atheist believe that conscioussness end with "death" ? Perhaps you pulled that claim from a dark smelly place?
User avatar
my_wan
 
Posts: 967
Male

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#15  Postby my_wan » Nov 13, 2010 9:45 pm

darwin2 wrote:After the death of their physical body, atheists will now have to deal with the reality that they are alive and conscious in an after death dimension. Most likely the shock of this new reality will “probably”leave an atheist confused and a little frightened

More likely wonder if I can play games with the SETI people :smoke:
User avatar
my_wan
 
Posts: 967
Male

Country: US
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#16  Postby darwin2 » Nov 14, 2010 1:12 am

Sityl wrote:If god is truly omniscient, then he would respect people who have intellectual rigor and punish people who abondon thought and do whatever they're told. Thus, if god exists, atheists go to heaven.


I suspect there might be a flaw in part of your logic. However, I do see wisdom in your conclusion. I believe atheists have a scientific approach to life and atheists are very special people and in my opinion some of the most spiritual people on our planet. They have an insatiable appetite for truth and if there is a heaven I believe atheists will be among the first to find it.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#17  Postby darwin2 » Nov 14, 2010 1:20 am

my_wan wrote:
darwin2 wrote:
IIzO wrote:Hm ,why would an atheist believe that conscioussness end with "death" ?


I am not an atheist so you will have to ask an atheist that question.

Problem is most of us know atheist who believe in an afterlife. So then why do you say atheist believe that conscioussness end with "death" ? Perhaps you pulled that claim from a dark smelly place?


That's very interesting. I have never met an atheist that believes in an after-life. Obviously you have. If some atheists believe in an after-life, they should be able to describe in some detail what the after-life is like. Since you have met these atheists, I would appreciate it if you describe their thoughts on the after-life and give me their scientific evidence to support an after-life.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#18  Postby darwin2 » Nov 14, 2010 1:24 am

my_wan wrote:
darwin2 wrote:After the death of their physical body, atheists will now have to deal with the reality that they are alive and conscious in an after death dimension. Most likely the shock of this new reality will “probably”leave an atheist confused and a little frightened

More likely wonder if I can play games with the SETI people :smoke:


Please tell me if you can what is illogical and unscientific about my above statement.
darwin2
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: George Killoran
Posts: 190

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#19  Postby Weaver » Nov 14, 2010 3:19 am

darwin2 wrote:
Weaver wrote:How do you assess the probability of your suggested techniques?

How do you know, for example, that rushing through demons will "probably" cause them to disappear, rather than give you a headache and a pissed off demon? How do you know that visualizing a peaceful place "will probably" cause you to instantly be in that place?



Read my post correctly. I never said I know. I would not use the word "probably" If I knew that as a fact. I am expressing an opinion and not a fact.
Actually, I did read it correctly ... though you are expressing opinions in many places, once you get to your scientific method analysis, you state that various things will "probably" occur. This is a value judgment whereby you assess one potential outcome to be more likely than another. I want to know how you arrived at the values for your judgment.

As far as assessing the probability of my suggested techniques, the probability at this point in time based on the scientific evidence available is that there is a 50% chance of consciousness ceasing at death and a 50% chance that consciousness continues after death. If I find myself conscious after death, I will use the Scientific Method to explore this after-death reality I find myself in and i believe the Scientific Method will lead me to the truth whatever the truth turns out to be.
Please provide the scientific evidence that the likelihood of consciousness continuing after death - after REAL death, not "clinical death" which is an alive brain in a body with a stopped heart - is 50%/50%. That is a huge probability for a very, very unlikely event - I and others would really love to see the evidence you have.
Image
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
User avatar
Weaver
RS Donator
 
Posts: 20125
Age: 53
Male

Country: USA
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: DEATH-A CORRECT SCIENTIFIC APPROACH FOR SURVIVING IT

#20  Postby trubble76 » Nov 14, 2010 9:49 am

darwin2 wrote:
trubble76 wrote:There is an afterlife, but only atheists will be allowed into heaven. The lord works in mysterious ways.


That's a silly, immature and unscientific comment. This is a scientific website. Please be scientific in your responses.


No more silly and immature than the assertions of theists about the afterlife. Unscientific it may be, perhaps at this stage it's worth noting that I am not a scientist. This is not a scientific website, it is a rational scepticism site.
You seem to think atheist = scientist, while this is true in many cases, it is certainly not generally true.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
User avatar
trubble76
RS Donator
 
Posts: 11205
Age: 44
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Pseudoscience

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest