Expanding earth. Do the continents wind back to a sphere

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Expanding earth. Do the continents wind back to a sphere. Yes or No ?

Yes
17%
No
72%
Yes But...Add your reason
6%
No But...Add your reason
6%

Total votes : 180

Re: Expanding earth. Do the continents wind back to a sphere

#11801  Postby theropod » Dec 23, 2018 12:36 pm

If only someone had spent “some” time examining the force of gravity across time.

:doh:

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#11802  Postby BlackBart » Dec 23, 2018 2:11 pm

LucidFlight wrote:You might be experiencing a gravitational anomaly.

Yes. That must be it. A gravitational anomaly. It's the only rational explanation. :nod:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11803  Postby newolder » Dec 23, 2018 3:20 pm

Hmmm... gravy non-noms. That'll do it.

I was reading a post by a vegan the other day about "root vegetable gravy". I asked if they were writing about leek & potato soup.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#11804  Postby theropod » Dec 23, 2018 3:36 pm

Yaniv wrote:The size of earth is balanced by opposing forces; gravity and pressure. In my theory (yaniv-stern.webnode.com) the force of gravity decreases over geological/astronomical time scales and internal pressure pushes the expansion of the earth.

Sigh,

Perhaps a review of THIS thread will help you remove some confusion from your position. That thread became infested with those unwilling to debate in an honest, or honorable, manner and I withdrew. Very much like this turd in the punch bowl. Personal insults, lies, quote mining and a double standard in relation to evidentially supported positions forced my hand. Unless you can bring some peer reviewed work to bear in support of your position this notion I must ask why anyone should bother?

Your notion isn’t a theory in the same sense that science uses to define such. A theory provides for a means of falsification, and the results of testing which provides empirical support. Of course you could cite which journal in which your work first appeared, and end my skepticism in this regard.

So, can we expect to see any of these things, or are you of the opinion that your thinking is somehow above all that?

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11805  Postby theropod » Dec 23, 2018 4:05 pm

Hardcoreathiest wrote:
theropod wrote:Interesting endeavor? Fuck me, and no I will not respond beyond this post to anything you post, Hardcoreatheist, much less adhere to your demands.

RS

am not an expert in your field indeed. I have my modest capabilities for a long time and these I understand as such. But from time to to time let me to put just occasional questions to you ? Your publications in the field are numerous yes ? Then i can discuss your answers with an ancient friend of mine ( 71 ys,). He is a retired paleontologist who can surely helps me to understand your great ideas.

In spite of my better judgement, previous statement and the tingling warning that I am being trolled (again) I am going to respond.

Pose any questions you like. I reserve the right to respond, or not, as I see fit.

No, I do not have a long list of publications to my credit. I was never very interested in being published. I do have a few field notes included in a few obscure publications, but I refuse to list them. I have repeatedly explained this here, and other fora. My reasons are my own, and those reasons have not changed. I have also repeatedly siad that I was merely a dedicated field worker that happened to get “lucky” a few times. I had a “knack” for seeing what others often missed.

If you care so much about my ability to comprehend, articulate and interpret the vagaries of paleontology a simple scanning of my posts here should suffice. Just use the site search function and follow the links. I leave it to the reader to determine if my humble contributions hold any value. I am particularly proud of a couple threads that consumed large chunks of my life, and reflect my interests.

Be aware that on this topic I have some very strong opinions, and have been engaged in challenging this whacked out pseudoscience for several years. If you are among the Dothraki horde that has bought into this EE tripe don’t bother attempting to engage me further, as I have seen every trick in the play book, and will not engage with trolling.

So, do you really seek my input, or is this just another chapter in a never ending novel?

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11806  Postby Yaniv » Dec 26, 2018 6:41 pm

theropod wrote:Your notion isn’t a theory in the same sense that science uses to define such. A theory provides for a means of falsification, and the results of testing which provides empirical support.

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=71794.0
Yaniv

Name: Yaniv Stern

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11807  Postby theropod » Dec 26, 2018 11:24 pm

Yaniv wrote:
theropod wrote:Your notion isn’t a theory in the same sense that science uses to define such. A theory provides for a means of falsification, and the results of testing which provides empirical support.

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/forum/index.php?topic=71794.0

What utter tosh.

If your crazy notions hold any validity publish your shit, and stop wasting your precious time messing about on an obscure thread on an obscure forum in a dim little basement room on the net.

The last thing I would do is highlight having my crazy shit thrashed on another forum.

Besides, what has this got to do with an expanding earth?

RS
theropod
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#11809  Postby newolder » Dec 27, 2018 1:20 pm

First wordy comment by AndrewC at thephysicsforum.com
Rubbish

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#11810  Postby Florian » Dec 31, 2018 12:35 pm

LucidFlight wrote:I can confirm that gravity is decreasing. My weight is down 5 kg this year.

Did you mean 5 N?
In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur.
Florian

Male

France (fr)
Print view this post

#11811  Postby newolder » Dec 31, 2018 12:37 pm

Only if the acceleration due to gravity is 1 ms-2. :nono:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#11812  Postby Florian » Dec 31, 2018 12:46 pm

Florian wrote:
newolder wrote:
Florian wrote:...

You persist in your misunderstanding. To measure a surface reduction, you have to measure displacements of the surface, independently of what happens beneath.
To do that, you make a projection of the vectors on the globe surface to get the horizontal component of the vectors. Do you understand now that the horizontal vectors are necessary and sufficient to determine if there is surface reduction or not?
I hope you don't need a scheme, don't you?

Your continued failure to understand and account for plate subduction leads you to erroneous conclusions. Heigh ho.

You DO need a scheme!

Here is one. This is a view from above a subduction zone, inspired from the Scotia Sea region.

GPSVectorfieldmantleflow.png
GPSVectorfieldmantleflow.png (67.41 KiB) Viewed 548 times

The horizontal component of the GPS vectors provide a complete picture of the evolution of the surface of the region. What happens under the surface is evidently irrelevant to determine if the surface area increases or decreases in that region.

So tell me now, does the surface of the whole area reduces with time?

Coming back after my last break.
Is there reduction of surface in the figure above?
Last edited by Florian on Dec 31, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind. Louis Pasteur.
Florian

Male

France (fr)
Print view this post

#11813  Postby newolder » Dec 31, 2018 12:51 pm

Going back there from my last interruption.
Does the surface of the whole area in the figure above reduces with time?

Come back when you've mastered Newtonian mechanics and written English, I'm off for a brew. :coffee:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#11814  Postby Florian » Dec 31, 2018 12:51 pm

newolder wrote:Only if the acceleration due to gravity is 1 ms-2. :nono:

His mass won't change if gravity decreases. He was confused.
Florian

Male

France (fr)
Print view this post

#11815  Postby Florian » Dec 31, 2018 12:53 pm

newolder wrote:

Going back there from my last interruption.
Does the surface of the whole area in the figure above reduces with time?

Come back when you've mastered Newtonian mechanics and written English, I'm off for a brew. :coffee:

Are you always harsh with non native speakers trying to write in your language? You're welcome to correct my english.
Florian

Male

France (fr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#11816  Postby newolder » Dec 31, 2018 1:02 pm

His mass won't change if gravity decreases. He was confused.

Don't confuse yourself further.
LucidFlight wrote:... My weight is down 5 kg this year.

You attempted to correct the unit of weight to N(ewtons) but failed numerically.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#11817  Postby newolder » Dec 31, 2018 1:07 pm

Are you always harsh with non native speakers trying to write in your language?
:dunno:
You're welcome to correct my english.

No thanks.
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#11818  Postby LucidFlight » Dec 31, 2018 1:12 pm

Saying that "my weight is down 5 kg" is part of the joke, pertaining to its style and delivery[1]. Do we need to start dissecting frogs?

However, granted, we could put a scientific spin on in by using N in future. I'll keep it in mind. :)

ETA

[1] This is to do with the fact that bathroom scales tend to use kg as a choice of unit. This is also part of the humour. I understand that humour can be confusing for some.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11819  Postby Cito di Pense » Dec 31, 2018 3:27 pm

It's too bad bathroom scales don't read out in (kg/m^3). Some people are just rather dense compared to others.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Germaine D. Scutcheon
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#11820  Postby THWOTH » Jan 01, 2019 4:45 pm

Was the mass/energy quandary ever addressed, or was it just waved away?

Anyway, here's to the next 8 years of magical thinking, bad-faith arguments, and tone policing, all in the service of wilful maintaining a state of scientific illiteracy. :cheers:
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Pseudoscience