Expanding earth. Do the continents wind back to a sphere

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Expanding earth. Do the continents wind back to a sphere. Yes or No ?

Yes
17%
No
72%
Yes But...Add your reason
6%
No But...Add your reason
6%

Total votes : 181

Re: Expanding earth. Do the continents wind back to a sphere

#11881  Postby Cito di Pense » Oct 09, 2019 8:16 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Cito di Pense wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:I would personally argue that the goal of science isn't to measure and describe, but ultimately to use those measurements and descriptions towards an explanatory end, but I know plenty of qualified scientists who disagree most robustly with that.

They disagree because explanation is lodged somewhere up one's filosofeezical arse. We demonstrate that something has been explained by engineering with it in such a way that it stands up on its own.

This thread is, to significant degree, a mocking of the hubris of explanation absent the use of tools. The tools that EE proponents are unable to take up are legion.

Essentially, that is my position too, except that I don't want to minimize the labourious hours of data collection that go into the formulation of explanations. In the absence of that accumulated evidence, those explanations are just ideas tossed out at random in ways more consistent with religious, supernatural, and alternative 'methodologies' rather than with science. The arbiter is still ultimately 'does the explanation work, bitch?' - does it correspond to further observations... but arriving at that explanation, or sorting through the moray of ungrounded explanations absent of any basis in data would massively slow the acquisition of knowledge.

EE proponents selectively screen out data, most obviously about subduction, when they try to hack the mass, volume, or surface area balances via an unspecified process. PT has the advantage of being based on a model whose arguments can be tested in subsequent observations whose results are predicted. Research proposals usually hint at the questions they hope to answer.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#11882  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 09, 2019 9:06 am

Hermit wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Observation comes first. Understanding cannot come first. Understanding comes as a result of meticulous, methodological observation.

Indeed. Where do you think this sentence places observation?
Hermit wrote:What makes science science is the process of making broad generalisations from specific observations.

Edited to fix quote tags.

The thing is that it is rarely those who make hypotheses that have collected all that data; it's usually their PhD students! ;)
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#11883  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 09, 2019 9:07 am

Thommo wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Believers in Noah's Flood have a mechanism: God.

Where did the water come from? God made it.
Where did it disappear to? God made it disappear.

Open question: Is this sufficient to constitute a mechanism?

Well no, but to them it is. God is an agent. Agents interact with other things causally.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#11884  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 09, 2019 9:10 am

ginckgo wrote:
It is a mindbogglingly long thread.

Ironically, I've actually learned a lot about new advances in Plate Tectonics from articles that EE proponents have posted - each article supports Plate Tectonics of course, but they interpret it as the opposite.

Feels a lot like arguing with Creationists when they post a scientific paper arguing it undermines evolution

There is no functional difference just because one's wearing a Jesus t-shirt. What matter is how special they are to have such strong belief in the alternative.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#11885  Postby Hermit » Oct 09, 2019 10:04 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Observation comes first. Understanding cannot come first. Understanding comes as a result of meticulous, methodological observation.

Hermit wrote:What makes science science is the process of making broad generalisations from specific observations.

The thing is that it is rarely those who make hypotheses that have collected all that data; it's usually their PhD students! ;)

How does that tie in with my assertion that "what makes science science is the process of making broad generalisations from specific observations."?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#11886  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 09, 2019 10:53 am

Hermit wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
Hermit wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

How does that tie in with my assertion that "what makes science science is the process of making broad generalisations from specific observations."?

It ties in with how this thread of conversation started:

Hermit wrote:
Ginckgo wrote:First I need to see some actual evidence in the rocks that shows expansion is even a remotely likely hypothesis that even needs a mechanism.

So, not particularly interested in the fundamentals of science.

Observation precedes hypothesis, and is therefore more fundamental to scientific method, meaning the original notion you put forth is in contradiction to your later point. Being interested in the data doesn't logically represent a disinterest in the fundamentals of science.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#11887  Postby Hermit » Oct 09, 2019 11:59 am

Spearthrower wrote:Observation precedes hypothesis...

Yes. We agree on that. Have I ever denied it? If not, why bring it up yet again?

Spearthrower wrote:...and is therefore more fundamental to scientific method...

No science without observation. This is as far as our agreement goes. Where we disagree is that while observations are essential for science, they are not sufficient on their own to constitute science. The epicycles Fenrir mentioned enabled predictions - as did the Antikythera mechanism - but neither did anything to reveal an underlying principle explaining the phenomena. For that we had to wait until Newton came up with a theory based on the data. That is science. Yes, the theory of gravity turned out to be provisional, and only approximate at that, but scientific theories can only ever be provisional.

Spearthrower wrote:...the original notion you put forth is in contradiction to your later point. Being interested in the data doesn't logically represent a disinterest in the fundamentals of science.

You got that arse backwards, possibly thinking of my comment in reply to Ginckgo, whom I mistook as a proponent of the expanding earth rubbish (and for which I have apologised). The exchange began with me noting that "Nobody who supports the expanding earth hypothesis has managed to explain where the extra material for such expansion comes from." Ginckgo replied; "I honestly don't care about the mechanism." Are you really surprised that I mistook the comment to mean he is not interested in observations on which theories are based and therefore cannot be interested in actual science as it is practised?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

#11888  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Hermit wrote:
No science without observation. This is as far as our agreement goes. Where we disagree is that while observations are essential for science, they are not sufficient on their own to constitute science.

That's a nearly empty phrase.

How do you formulate hypotheses in the absence of observation?

If you can't formulate hypotheses in the absence of observation then observation is just as much a part of scientific method as is hypothesis formation. The loss of either makes science infertile, however as you necessarily start with collecting data, then your argument seems to suggest that the entire period of data collection isn't science up until the moment it is employed as evidence towards a hypothesis: I think that's nonsensical and isn't really how anything works.

Further, as I've already pointed out in this thread: a vast number - probably the majority of professional scientists aren't involved in any hypothesis formation at all: they are field researchers or laboratory assistants collecting data.

However, they are scientists, they are conducting science according to its methodology, and so your claim is wholly inconsistent with this.

Hermit wrote:The epicycles Fenrir mentioned enabled predictions - as did the Antikythera mechanism - but neither did anything to reveal an underlying principle explaining the phenomena.

Doesn't matter. Underlying principles may well be goals, but they aren't required to be conducting science.

Hermit wrote:For that we had to wait until Newton came up with a theory based on the data. That is science.

You're mistaken.

Hermit wrote: Yes, the theory of gravity turned out to be provisional, and only approximate at that, but scientific theories can only ever be provisional.

All this is basically a red herring.

Hermit wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:...the original notion you put forth is in contradiction to your later point. Being interested in the data doesn't logically represent a disinterest in the fundamentals of science.

You got that arse backwards, possibly thinking of my comment in reply to Ginckgo, whom I mistook as a proponent of the expanding earth rubbish (and for which I have apologised). The exchange began with me noting that "Nobody who supports the expanding earth hypothesis has managed to explain where the extra material for such expansion comes from." Ginckgo replied; "I honestly don't care about the mechanism." Are you really surprised that I mistook the comment to mean he is not interested in observations on which theories are based and therefore cannot be interested in actual science as it is practised?

Wow.

I think I'll leave it there and defer back to Ginckgo:

ginckgo wrote:If that's your view of how science must work, then you're quite naive about both the philosophy and the practicality of the scientific method.

I concur wholeheartedly.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#11889  Postby ginckgo » Jul 07, 2020 4:51 am

can't believe it's been 10 years...
Cape illud, fracturor

Mystical explanations are thought to be deep; the truth is that they are not even shallow. Nietzsche
ginckgo

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11890  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 12, 2020 5:10 pm

Good thread, I read a bit of the 1st page & thought I may as well post my opinion.

If there was a big bang, then ultimately the charged particles of stuff would eventually attract each other into shapes. And if they're spinning, they would have more of a chance to even itself out. Apparently gravity is created by the mass of an object, so as the thing gets bigger it attracts more stuff right? I swear I saw this on a documentary somewhere.

So as it 'grows', and more and more chemicals are compressed together & mixed, then maybe there's also internal expansion going on, like what happens with 'Cola mixing with Mentos', or 'Elephant Toothpaste', but with rock? Idk I just thought of that then.

But, we do still have rocks coming in from space. So over 'billions of years', it's going to get bigger.

Every year, the Earth is hit by about 6100 meteors large enough to reach the ground, or about 17 every day, research has revealed. The vast majority fall unnoticed, in uninhabited areas. But several times a year, a few land in places that catch more attention.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/earth- ... ors-a-day/

Apparently, you can leave a bucket of water outside and when it rains, you will find pieces of meteor in the water. Which then can be observed.

https://www.newscientist.com/letter/mg2 ... s-is-easy/

So really, Earth growing is not some crazy theory that doesn't make sense. What is the other theory? The big bang just happen to let a thing the size of Earth survive? I suppose it's possible too. Amazing either way.

And continents change all the time.

And Unicorns did exist. It was a type of 1 horned rhino. Thanks to Aronra's research on that.
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Name: NotTellingYouThatSorry

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#11891  Postby campermon » Jul 12, 2020 5:52 pm

'Earth Loses 50,000 Metric Tons of Mass Every Year '

https://scitechdaily.com/earth-loses-50 ... very-year/
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11892  Postby BlackBart » Jul 12, 2020 5:57 pm

Probably down the back of the sofa, :coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11893  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 12, 2020 6:09 pm

According to some calculations...

Then check the BBC source link...
Using some back-of-the-envelope-style calculations

All figures are estimated.

So, some BS in other words?

And still no other theory as to why Earth is the size it is now? I want to believe 'God did it', sure thing.
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#11894  Postby campermon » Jul 12, 2020 6:41 pm

JustStarDust wrote:

And still no other theory as to why Earth is the size it is now? I want to believe 'God did it', sure thing.

'The Planetary Air Leak'

http://faculty.washington.edu/dcatling/ ... _SciAm.pdf

:thumbup:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11895  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 12, 2020 10:07 pm

Wow, almost as if none of this has been beat into a fine red mist well before now.

Should I mention the post I spent almost a year formulating to address the constant force of gravity earth has exerted over billions of years? To what end?

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11896  Postby felltoearth » Jul 13, 2020 12:23 am

JustStarDust wrote:Good thread, I read a bit of the 1st page & thought I may as well post my opinion.

If there was a big bang, then ultimately the charged particles of stuff would eventually attract each other into shapes. And if they're spinning, they would have more of a chance to even itself out. Apparently gravity is created by the mass of an object, so as the thing gets bigger it attracts more stuff right? I swear I saw this on a documentary somewhere.

So as it 'grows', and more and more chemicals are compressed together & mixed, then maybe there's also internal expansion going on, like what happens with 'Cola mixing with Mentos', or 'Elephant Toothpaste', but with rock? Idk I just thought of that then.

But, we do still have rocks coming in from space. So over 'billions of years', it's going to get bigger.

Every year, the Earth is hit by about 6100 meteors large enough to reach the ground, or about 17 every day, research has revealed. The vast majority fall unnoticed, in uninhabited areas. But several times a year, a few land in places that catch more attention.

Apparently, you can leave a bucket of water outside and when it rains, you will find pieces of meteor in the water. Which then can be observed.

So really, Earth growing is not some crazy theory that doesn't make sense. What is the other theory? The big bang just happen to let a thing the size of Earth survive? I suppose it's possible too. Amazing either way.

And Unicorns did exist. It was a type of 1 horned rhino. Thanks to Aronra's research on that.

If it is a rhino, by definition, it is not a unicorn.

Also, everything you said about the earth expanding is wrong. Read the thread to find out why.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11897  Postby laklak » Jul 13, 2020 4:31 am

BlackBart wrote:Probably down the back of the sofa, :coffee:

Between that and socks lost in the washing machine we've probably got dark matter, too.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#11898  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 13, 2020 4:35 am

felltoearth wrote:
JustStarDust wrote:Good thread, I read a bit of the 1st page & thought I may as well post my opinion.

If it is a rhino, by definition, it is not a unicorn.

Also, everything you said about the earth expanding is wrong. Read the thread to find out why.

Tisk tisk. The Bible mentioned a unicorn. Other humans created some horse creature out of it, later on. So it's technically the other way around. But anyway.

campermon wrote:
JustStarDust wrote:

'The Planetary Air Leak'

http://faculty.washington.edu/dcatling/ ... _SciAm.pdf

Even if that is true, how is the atmosphere, the mass of Earth? Sure, I could believe that the atmosphere is slowly leaking out... And 'air' does weight a bit. But it's not the rocks etc.
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#11899  Postby campermon » Jul 13, 2020 5:53 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11900  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 13, 2020 9:14 am

Any doubts about the trolling now?

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Pseudoscience