Expanding earth. Do the continents wind back to a sphere

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Expanding earth. Do the continents wind back to a sphere. Yes or No ?

Yes
17%
No
72%
Yes But...Add your reason
6%
No But...Add your reason
6%

Total votes : 180

Re: Expanding earth. Do the continents wind back to a sphere

#11941  Postby felltoearth » Jul 14, 2020 7:22 pm

JustStarDust wrote:

I never said we're losing anything from things being eaten etc. I'm saying that the things that do ultimately end up in the ground over time, would effect the mass. Or does energy from the sun, change the mass? That don't work, nor does it change the density.

I’m not suggest anything, I’m trying to figure out just what the fuck you are getting at. You seem to be suggesting that biological functions add mass to the earth, and that the energy used to do so converts to mass. If you could be clearer in your language and produce a sentence that can be properly parsed, you might get the response you deserve.

JustStarDust wrote:

But yes, sorry, I haven't read through nearly 600 pages yet. Maybe you could simply, post the link to the post that describes this stuff?

There’s a search function at the top of this page. I suggest you familiarize yourself with it.

JustStarDust wrote:

Campemon said we're losing atmosphere, just a tiny bit each year, which is believable considering we're not in a dome / closed system? (or are we, because the atmosphere alone weighs a few ton per square inch, as Thunderf00t once said in a video.. & Google "The total mass of Earth's atmosphere is about 5.5 quadrillion tons, or roughly one millionth of Earth's mass." .. So how does it escape gravity in the 1st place? Nvm?) But what does that have to do with the actual density (yeh yeh correct, mass vs desity, well done here's a medal :smile:), or continents or Earth 'growing' - not 'inflating' like some balloon, but bits over time being added... - & yes sure, a simulation animation, is not 100% correct because - obviously?

Nothing. You’re the one speculating on additional mass from somewhere not me.

felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#11942  Postby Thommo » Jul 14, 2020 8:43 pm

JustStarDust wrote:Even if it's .000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%. All of that, over billion of years, adds up?

You certainly can add up those made-up numbers.

If the Earth gained .000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of its mass every second, then over a year it would gain .0000000000000000000000000000000000316% of its mass. .0000000000000000000000000000000000316% a year for a billion years is .0000000000000000000000000316% gained mass.

The Earth is actually about 4.5 billion years old, so if this had persisted throughout its entire history it would amount to about .000000000000000000000000142% of the Earth's mass, or just under a kilogram.
Thommo

Print view this post

#11943  Postby Sendraks » Jul 14, 2020 9:56 pm

Well obviously its going to be a way more convenient figure than that!

Just work out the difference between the current mass of the earth, then how much one imagines the earth weighed when the continents formed a perfect sphere. Divide difference by 4.5bn years, then say the earth gained that much mass each year, up to whatever point anyone can indicate the earth hasn't gained that much mass in recent years, at which point claim its stopped for whatever reason you like.

That's doing the science that is!
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#11944  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 15, 2020 7:29 am

I’m not suggest anything, I’m trying to figure out just what the fuck you are getting at. You seem to be suggesting that biological functions add mass to the earth, and that the energy used to do so converts to mass. If you could be clearer in your language and produce a sentence that can be properly parsed, you might get the response you deserve.

I never said, a biological function, adds mass. All I'm saying, is that matter adds to the mass. Life starts off as tiny things and grows up to a large then which dies & gets put back into the ground. It may not be much, but it's probably more then some 'space dust' which somehow leaves Earths gravity? Idk for sure, you're right. I'm no professional geologist.

There’s a search function at the top of this page. I suggest you familiarize yourself with it.

Yep, true. I should. I really should. But, I don't have that much time on my hands, even if it does seem like I do have enough time. You seems to have already read the part which has the answers, and maybe you could post the link to the page. But I'm not demanding that you do. I'll find it myself, all good.

That's doing the science that is!

Did you miss the previous posts? If you are interested, see from here on:
http://www.rationalskepticism.org/pseud ... 11880.html

A pdf says in the title:

"As Earth’s atmosphere slowly trickles away into space, will our planet come to look like Venus?" - which doesn't have anything to do with Earth growing in the 1st place.

Either way, does this prove that "the continents wind back to a sphere"? Not really. I have to read about 600 posts to find the truth apparently. All that I see is that Earth grew, and continues to grow. Earths 'convection' plays a role in it too, imo. But I mist admit that I don't know much, I'm just another dork on the internet :)
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Name: NotTellingYouThatSorry

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

Re: Suspicious0bservers

#11945  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 15, 2020 7:47 am

Wow, 104 years old! Did you get a letter from the Queen? :think:
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#11946  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 15, 2020 8:48 am

JustStarDust wrote:Wow, 104 years old! Did you get a letter from the Queen? :think:

You must admit, he's pretty sharp for someone in that age bracket. You're keeping your age a secret, aren't you, but you're probably "old enough to know better".

JustStarDust wrote:Life starts off as tiny things and grows up to a large then which dies & gets put back into the ground. It may not be much

Did you know your body contains a lot of water? When a corpse dries out and decays, where do you think that water goes? Eventually back into the ocean. You're old enough to understand that.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Fay Smask
Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#11947  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jul 15, 2020 11:01 am

Apparently it is unicorn piss.

You don’t see where the earth grew.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#11948  Postby felltoearth » Jul 15, 2020 1:01 pm

JustStarDust wrote:
I never said, a biological function, adds mass. All I'm saying, is that matter adds to the mass. Life starts off as tiny things and grows up to a large then which dies & gets put back into the ground.

The second sentence directly contradicts the first. Life is a biological function.

As I said. Sit down, have a think about what you are actually trying to say, and then write it down.

Or write it down and very carefully read it back to yourself and think about it before posting.

What you have been write here is so convoluted and irrational you shouldn’t even be posting it.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11949  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 15, 2020 1:34 pm

felltoearth wrote:
JustStarDust wrote:
I never said, a biological function, adds mass. All I'm saying, is that matter adds to the mass. Life starts off as tiny things and grows up to a large then which dies & gets put back into the ground.

The second sentence directly contradicts the first. Life is a biological function.

Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#11950  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 15, 2020 1:48 pm

Cito di Pense wrote:
JustStarDust wrote:Wow, 104 years old! Did you get a letter from the Queen? :think:

You must admit, he's pretty sharp for someone in that age bracket. You're keeping your age a secret, aren't you, but you're probably "old enough to know better".

JustStarDust wrote:Life starts off as tiny things and grows up to a large then which dies & gets put back into the ground. It may not be much

Did you know your body contains a lot of water? When a corpse dries out and decays, where do you think that water goes? Eventually back into the ocean. You're old enough to understand that.

Water is it's own can of worms. And if this is true:

Some water and methane molecules reach the stratosphere and decompose, releasing hydrogen, which slowly diffuses up-ward until it reaches the exobase. A small amount clearly makes it out because ultraviolet images reveal a halo of hydrogen atoms surrounding our planet

http://faculty.washington.edu/dcatling/ ... _SciAm.pdf

Then some water leaves, and doesn't go back into the ocean.
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#11951  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 15, 2020 3:05 pm

JustStarDust wrote:Then some water leaves, and doesn't go back into the ocean.

And other water arrives, as a component in meteorites. Do you have some special hotline to the mass balance? You could look it up and make your case, but you won't. That's where the quibble is, down at decimal 0 0 0 0 ... 1. Is it in you to think before you write? It may very well be, but if you're operating at low power, the results will never be very impressive.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#11952  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 15, 2020 3:22 pm

JustStarDust wrote:Adult behavior > or = or < childish behavior?

It doesn't matter if I was under 50 or over 50, tbh, imo.

It's true, what you post is garbage whether you're a teenager or not. But if you were a teenager, it would help explain why you're posting garbage and some folks might not treat you like an adult who should've figured this out by now.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11953  Postby JustStarDust » Jul 15, 2020 3:25 pm

Thank you.

Yes, I will keep looking up stuff about Earths mass > gain VS loss. But I have to keep in mind, that most of this stuff is just theoretical. Even if I do find a whole bunch of graphs, and maths. And who knows what surprises Earth has, beneath the mantle? It's all unknown?
Avoid nasty drugs.
JustStarDust

Marshall Island (mh)
Print view this post

#11954  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jul 15, 2020 3:42 pm

"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11955  Postby Thommo » Jul 15, 2020 3:43 pm

JustStarDust wrote:And who knows what surprises Earth has, beneath the mantle? It's all unknown?

It's not "all" unknown though. We know the laws of physics that operate above the surface and below it are the same.

We know a lot of other things too, but that one is probably the most salient.
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#11956  Postby Cito di Pense » Jul 15, 2020 4:40 pm

JustStarDust wrote:But I have to keep in mind, that most of this stuff is just theoretical

Bullshit, my friend. Meteorites are not theoretical. Gaseous ablation is not theoretical. What you mean is that the data present large relative uncertainties. But the magnitudes of the quantities involved are not large, and large relative uncertainties don't turn milligrams into megatons.

It's dumbass CYA to call what you honestly don't know "theoretical" in order to protect the delusion you might be right about something. Stop acting like an idiot teenager bullshitting outside the Sip 'n' Bite and you'll be treated as if you're making any kind of inquiry.

What you appear to be after is what all pseudoscience bullshitters are after: Speculating about forces unknown.
Last edited by Cito di Pense on Jul 15, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cito di Pense

Male

Mongolia (mn)
Print view this post

#11957  Postby campermon » Jul 15, 2020 4:41 pm

JustStarDust wrote:Thank you.

Yes, I will keep looking up stuff about Earths mass > gain VS loss. But I have to keep in mind, that most of this stuff is just theoretical. Even if I do find a whole bunch of graphs, and maths. And who knows what surprises Earth has, beneath the mantle? It's all unknown?

Yes, 'as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know.'

hths

In other news, it's great to see the number of bars opening at the moment. It's great stuff for the economy.

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Pseudoscience