Idealism/Dualism and Telepathy

Use of Quantum Physics, Very confused, Help!

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Idealism/Dualism and Telepathy

#21  Postby jamest » Aug 02, 2014 6:53 pm

I'll be watching for a while. Don (hello squire) should have time to make his own points and kick a few arses.
Il messaggero non e importante.
Ora non e importante.
Il resultato futuro e importante.
Quindi, persisto.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 02, 2014 6:55 pm

LucidFlight wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
NESW wrote:...First, it seems clear that the fact that decreasing brain activity tends to increase mental activity, falsifies the production hypothesis and confirms the filter hypothesis,...

You're all over the place here, NESW. A "decrease in brain activity" that tends to increase mental activity is likely the result of decreased inhibitory synaptic activity, unblocking excitatory activity.

I think NESW is quoting somebody there, but the quotes got screwed up.

Those words are from a comment by Juan on this article:
http://www.skeptiko.com/bernardo-kastru ... -research/

Also, I see NESW's OP is posted here as well, complete with the same screwed up quotes:
http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.p ... do+Kastrup

Thanks, LucidFlight! :thumbup:
The quote was apparently from some internet nut, in a coment thread.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby DavidMcC » Aug 02, 2014 7:02 pm

... OTOH, Kastrup seems to be just a whacky as the poster that got mixed up with him. :(
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby surreptitious57 » Aug 02, 2014 7:51 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Kastrup seems to be just a whacky as the poster that got mixed up with him

So what have we got here exactly ? A computer engineer who thinks materialism is baloney and death non existent
Apparently all of the reviewers of his book believe in woo too which is why they no doubt give it good reviews so it
will sell to other believers of woo. And to top it all he has apparently not done one single experiment in parapsychology
so has no evidence or proof of its actual existence. Which is not very scientific. Now he can of course believe whatever
he wants but belief does not equate to knowledge. I rather like the description of him as a philosophical idealist who
posts quantum woo across the web. That is the one thing he does you can be absolutely certain of [ but nothing else ]
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#25  Postby don salmon » Mar 14, 2018 2:48 pm

Anyone still here?

This was posted as a "definition" (from Wikipedia!) of materialism:

In philosophy, the theory of materialism holds that matter is the fundamental substance in nature, and that all emergent phenomena (including consciousness) are the result of material interactions. In other words, the theory claims that our reality consists entirely of physical matter that is the sole cause of every possible occurrence, including human thought, feeling, and action.

Matter is the fundamental substance in nature.

What is matter?

And what is the means by which you know of its existence?
don salmon

Print view this post

#26  Postby don salmon » Mar 14, 2018 2:49 pm

I didn't get a notice about previous posts. My email is donsalmon7@gmail.com
don salmon

Print view this post

#27  Postby don salmon » Mar 14, 2018 2:54 pm

Oh, and someone asked for proof of psi.

You don't need replication and statistics. All you need is one solid example. I have one.

I had a dream in which I went into a neighbor's apartment. I saw the layout of the apartment, and a particular object - I saw what it looked like and a number of specific details. The next day, having written as detailed an account of the dream I could, I went into the neighbor's apartment. All the details were confirmed.

The way I usually present this to skeptics is to describe what I saw, then they proceed to make the most irrational excuses possible for what I could have seen.

Instead, I'll let you guess what I saw. When you realize you can't possibly guess correctly, you'll see that this dream is proof of psi.

I know all the excuses - I might be lying, and it happened years ago so I must have forgotten many of the details. See if you can come up with a rational reason why either of these two would be the case, then go on to try to guess. Anybody who is not prejudiced by irrational materialistic faith (like that poster who put up the Wiki definition of materialism which is completely tautological - What is matter? It's the primary substance of the universe. What is the primary substance of the universe? Matter.

In fact, it's not even tautological, it's emptier than that - as Pauli said, "It's not even wrong."

And no, I can't replicate that dream experience at will. Anymore than you can run a 4 minute mile.
don salmon

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby newolder » Mar 14, 2018 3:18 pm

don salmon wrote:Anyone still here?

This was posted as a "definition" (from Wikipedia!) of materialism:

In philosophy, the theory of materialism holds that matter is the fundamental substance in nature, and that all emergent phenomena (including consciousness) are the result of material interactions. In other words, the theory claims that our reality consists entirely of physical matter that is the sole cause of every possible occurrence, including human thought, feeling, and action.

Matter is the fundamental substance in nature.

What is matter?

And what is the means by which you know of its existence?

Hello,
Modern physics has matter described by the Standard Model of Particle Physics (easy google) but theorists prefer that fields are the fundamental constituents of matter and radiation. It's (their) existence is known by various collision experiments (e.g. @ LHC, CERN) where matter fields collide at known energies and result in cascades of other matter & radiation fields that interact with the matter fields of the detectors.

The matter and radiation fields analysed so far comprise about 5% of the total and the remaining fraction is collectively known as dark. Dark matter is unobserved hitherto in collision experiments but makes its presence known through its gravitational effects on galactic rotations and, separately, its gravitational effect on light (gravitational lensing). Dark energy is the name given to the 'substance' responsible for observed accelerated universal expansion.

A brief summary that can be fleshed out later, if required.
Last edited by newolder on Mar 14, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#29  Postby newolder » Mar 14, 2018 3:20 pm

don salmon wrote:Oh, and someone asked for proof of psi.

You don't need replication and statistics. All you need is one solid example. I have one.

I had a dream in which I went into a neighbor's apartment. I saw the layout of the apartment, and a particular object - I saw what it looked like and a number of specific details. The next day, having written as detailed an account of the dream I could, I went into the neighbor's apartment. All the details were confirmed.

The way I usually present this to skeptics is to describe what I saw, then they proceed to make the most irrational excuses possible for what I could have seen.

Instead, I'll let you guess what I saw. When you realize you can't possibly guess correctly, you'll see that this dream is proof of psi.

I know all the excuses - I might be lying, and it happened years ago so I must have forgotten many of the details. See if you can come up with a rational reason why either of these two would be the case, then go on to try to guess. Anybody who is not prejudiced by irrational materialistic faith (like that poster who put up the Wiki definition of materialism which is completely tautological - What is matter? It's the primary substance of the universe. What is the primary substance of the universe? Matter.

In fact, it's not even tautological, it's emptier than that - as Pauli said, "It's not even wrong."

And no, I can't replicate that dream experience at will. Anymore than you can run a 4 minute mile.

The above is not a proof of anything, rather it is evidence that your matter & radiation fields can interact with those of the internet to tell a story.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby laklak » Mar 14, 2018 3:34 pm

Many years ago, when I were a younger lad, I had a dream that I shagged Debbie Randall. It was so real I actually splooged. A few months later I shagged Debbie Randall.

'Splain that one, if you can.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#31  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 14, 2018 3:44 pm

jamest wrote:I'll be watching for a while. Don (hello squire) should have time to make his own points and kick a few arses.

Looking forward to the arse-kickings. In the meantime, here's proof of psi.

Ψ
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Matthew Shute » Mar 14, 2018 3:53 pm

LucidFlight wrote:In the meantime, here's proof of psi.

Pounds per square inch? You damned heathen materialists with your infernal weights and measures...! :mob:
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Thommo » Mar 14, 2018 4:27 pm

I agree with you, you could well be lying or mistaken.

As for rational reasons for that being the case, how about "because people make mistakes all the time" or "because people lie very frequently"? People lie just to pass the time of day, or to make themselves look good, or to support something they believe or for any one of a million other utterly trivial reasons. One only needs to read Donald Trump's twitter feed about, for example, his inauguration to find more examples than they could ever need.
Thommo

Print view this post

#34  Postby Thommo » Mar 14, 2018 4:28 pm

laklak wrote:Many years ago, when I were a younger lad, I had a dream that I shagged Debbie Randall. It was so real I actually splooged. A few months later I shagged Debbie Randall.

'Splain that one, if you can.

Pics or it didn't happen. :coffee:
Thommo

Print view this post

#35  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 14, 2018 5:24 pm

You do, at the very least to demonstrate it is a concistent phenomenon rather than a singular accidental event.
And to demonstrate it's existence to others/

don salmon wrote:I had a dream in which I went into a neighbor's apartment. I saw the layout of the apartment, and a particular object - I saw what it looked like and a number of specific details. The next day, having written as detailed an account of the dream I could, I went into the neighbor's apartment. All the details were confirmed.

Now you need to prove that this was because of psi and not because you acquired and/or deduced the information from mundane sources.

don salmon wrote:The way I usually present this to skeptics is to describe what I saw, then they proceed to make the most irrational excuses possible for what I could have seen.

This is is nothing but an unsubstantiated appeal to personal incredulity.

don salmon wrote:
Instead, I'll let you guess what I saw.

Nope, not how this works.
You're making a claim, it's up to you to provide a rigourous description and evidence.

don salmon wrote:When you realize you can't possibly guess correctly, you'll see that this dream is proof of psi.

Nope, that's a complete non-sequitur.
It only proves particular people failed to guess correctly. Nothing more.

don salmon wrote:I know all the excuses - I might be lying, and it happened years ago so I must have forgotten many of the details.

Those are just two possible alternatives. There are many more.

don salmon wrote:See if you can come up with a rational reason why either of these two would be the case, then go on to try to guess.

Nope, again not how this works. Your claim, your burden of proof. You don't get to demand other people do your work for you.

don salmon wrote:Anybody who is not prejudiced by irrational materialistic faith (like that poster who put up the Wiki definition of materialism which is completely tautological - What is matter? It's the primary substance of the universe. What is the primary substance of the universe? Matter.

This is well-poisoning and an appeal to the Emperor's New Clothes.

don salmon wrote:

A non-sequitur analogy.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby laklak » Mar 14, 2018 6:14 pm

Thommo wrote:
Pics or it didn't happen. :coffee:

[Reveal] Spoiler: "NSFW"
kangaroo shaging a pig.jpg
kangaroo shaging a pig.jpg (435.83 KiB) Viewed 955 times
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Pseudoscience