Moon phases and hair cut

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Moon phases and hair cut

#1  Postby aban57 » Feb 15, 2018 11:16 am

I've been looking for something to debunk the old myth that cutting your hair on a full moon makes them grow faster and stronger.

Of course, the results of a google search are already an indication, as it's only positive claims coming from fashion, "nature" and astrology sites.

But I couldn't find a site listing the reasons why it's impossible.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Moon phases and hair cut

#2  Postby Papa Smurf » Feb 15, 2018 1:02 pm

aban57 wrote:But I couldn't find a site listing the reasons why it's impossible.

You can't 'prove' a negative, which is what you're basically asking for (and of course you cannot prove anything outside of maths).

Luckily though, the burden of evidence is on those making the claim. If they want to make such claims they should at least either propose a plausible mechanism explaining why this could be true, and/or provide proper stastical evidence to at least establish that there is a correlation which does not imply a causal effect of course but it would be a start.
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#3  Postby aban57 » Feb 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Papa Smurf wrote:
aban57 wrote:But I couldn't find a site listing the reasons why it's impossible.

You can't 'prove' a negative, which is what you're basically asking for (and of course you cannot prove anything outside of maths).

Luckily though, the burden of evidence is on those making the claim. If they want to make such claims they should at least either propose a plausible mechanism explaining why this could be true, and/or provide proper stastical evidence to at least establish that there is a correlation which does not imply a causal effect of course but it would be a start.

Indeed, that's exactly how I looked at this problem in the first place. Unfortunately, we're dealing here with something people assume is true because they've heard it since they were kids. But they're not capable of giving a plausible explanation. That's why I'm trying to find a way to explain them how it's not possible.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#4  Postby laklak » Feb 15, 2018 3:55 pm

I've given up trying to educate ignorant people. They're happy in their ignorance, let them wallow in it.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Return to Pseudoscience