No, Scabies Does NOT Cure Cancer ...

Bonus arrest of paper "authors" ...

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

No, Scabies Does NOT Cure Cancer ...

#1  Postby Calilasseia » Jan 23, 2020 6:20 pm

Anyone who has a natural aversion to woo, will be celebrating this development ...

Homeopathy cancer paper withdrawn after arrest of lead authors

A journal paper claiming to show the success of a homeopathic treatment for cancer has been withdrawn by the publishers following a series of awkward discoveries – including the arrest of its two lead authors.

The paper, published in the journal Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, was retracted in late February after readers voiced concerns and a formal investigation flagged multiple ethical problems.

The subject of the paper was “psorinum therapy” and its use in treating stomach, gall bladder, pancreatic and liver cancers. Psorinum is a peculiar favourite of homeopaths, described as a substance “prepared from the fluid of blisters from scabies infested skin”.

This affair starts becoming seriously juicy when we are told ...

In 2001, the pair set up a trial of cancer patients, administering the scabies-fluid, along with other homeopathic substances, and a complete absence of conventional cancer meds.

This situation alone prompted readers to raise ethical questions, as did the fact that the trial did not include control or placebo inclusions. According to the science monitoring site RetractionWatch, however, matters became considerably more complicated when journal publishers Hindawi launched a formal investigation.

First up, the authors claimed ethics clearance for their study was granted by a review board overseeing the Critical Cancer Management Research Centre and Clinic in Kolkata, India. This raised two problems. First, the Chatterjees turned out to own the clinic in question. Second, the ethics approval was granted in 2001 – which is weird, because the clinic didn’t open its doors until 2008.

Attempting to resolve these apparent inconsistencies, Hindawi sought to contact the lead authors. They were told Aradeep Chatterjee had been arrested for practicing medicine without the proper qualifications in June 2017. His father was reported to have also been arrested, two months later.

I suspect several of the regulars here will enjoy the prospect of prison sentences for this pair of charlatans ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: No, Scabies Does NOT Cure Cancer ...

#2  Postby Fallible » Jan 23, 2020 6:44 pm

Twats.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Spearthrower » Jan 24, 2020 3:02 pm

And what a birthday treat for you, Cali :thumbup:

Happy Birthday you old git! :cheers:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby newolder » Jan 24, 2020 3:15 pm

Dangerous and stupid practitioners of woo get some comeuppance at last. Yay!

Happy caek day too!

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

Return to Pseudoscience