Questioning planetary motion

Was Kepler guilty of making an assumption?

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Questioning planetary motion

#1  Postby beejewel » Jun 12, 2015 11:39 am

Hi guys,

I am new to the forum, so I just thought I would throw a spanner in to see if it jams up any tooth wheels...

Some 400 years ago Johannes Kepler formulated the laws of planetary motion, these laws stated that

v = \sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}

basically says that orbital velocity is a function of the radius, and that planets move slower the further out they are, but was he right?

Do any of you skeptics see why Kepler might have been wrong?

PS: The latex opening and closing statements don't seem to be working on my browser.
Dropped in on this forum for a chat, couldn't get a rational conversation going and left within 48 hours, more about Kepler's planets here... | http://groundpotential.org
beejewel

Male

Print view this post

Re: Questioning planetary motion

#2  Postby Sendraks » Jun 12, 2015 11:48 am

beejewel wrote:Do any of you skeptics see why Kepler might have been wrong?

Why do you think Kepler might have been wrong and what evidence do you have to support your view?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby beejewel » Jun 12, 2015 12:20 pm

Why do you think Kepler might have been wrong and what evidence do you have to support your view?

Firstly it is not my intention to present you with evidence in the case against Kepler, instead I hope to provoke your thoughts into seeing the other solution for yourself, and once you have seen it you will indeed feel enlightened if there is such a thing in the world of non believers.

At first glance planets appear to be travelling in closed elliptical orbits, so why was it assumed that planets have velocity and not simply a speed?

It seems likely Kepler made the assumption that the planets had velocity in the direction perceived by him standing on earth.

If we assume (and I shall show later why this assumption is wrong) that the planets move in closed orbits, there ought to be two solutions for velocity, one positive and the other negative. i.e. it is equally valid to say the planets move forwards as it is to say that the planets move backwards (providing the orbit is closed).

Fortunately thanks to the arrow of time planets do not travel in closed orbits, instead they travel along helical paths, which means there is absolutely no ambiguity about the direction of travel. Think about this for a moment and you will realise which direction planets move. Kepler had a 50/50 chance of getting it right, but failed.

With the exception of Mercury and Mars, all the outer planets are moving backwards with increasing velocities.
Dropped in on this forum for a chat, couldn't get a rational conversation going and left within 48 hours, more about Kepler's planets here... | http://groundpotential.org
beejewel

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Sendraks » Jun 12, 2015 12:59 pm

beejewel wrote:With the exception of Mercury and Mars, all the outer planets are moving backwards with increasing velocities.

How do you define "backwards" in space.
Do you mean "moving forwards in the opposite direction to another body?"
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 12, 2015 2:27 pm

beejewel wrote:

Firstly it is not my intention to present you with evidence in the case against Kepler, instead I hope to provoke your thoughts into seeing the other solution for yourself, ...

What "other solution" would that be?
...and once you have seen it you will indeed feel enlightened if there is such a thing in the world of non believers.

You seem tombe implying that you are religious. Is that so?
At first glance planets appear to be travelling in closed elliptical orbits, so why was it assumed that planets have velocity and not simply a speed?

Any planetary motion needs shoud be described by a velocity, not just a speed.
It seems likely Kepler made the assumption that the planets had velocity in the direction perceived by him standing on earth.

If we assume (and I shall show later why this assumption is wrong) that the planets move in closed orbits, there ought to be two solutions for velocity, one positive and the other negative. i.e. it is equally valid to say the planets move forwards as it is to say that the planets move backwards (providing the orbit is closed).

Fortunately thanks to the arrow of time planets do not travel in closed orbits, instead they travel along helical paths, which means there is absolutely no ambiguity about the direction of travel. Think about this for a moment and you will realise which direction planets move. Kepler had a 50/50 chance of getting it right, but failed.

You are confused.
With the exception of Mercury and Mars, all the outer planets are moving backwards with increasing velocities.

Incorrect.
EDIT: In fact, Pluto is the odd one out in the solar system in terms of direction of orbit. That is because it is, in fact, part of the Oort cloud of planetessimals and space-rocks, so was not formed from the planetary nebula, like the 8 major planets, including Earth and Mars.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby campermon » Jun 12, 2015 3:09 pm

Welcome to the forum!

:beer:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#7  Postby campermon » Jun 12, 2015 3:22 pm

beejewel wrote:

Firstly it is not my intention to present you with evidence in the case against Kepler, instead I hope to provoke your thoughts into seeing the other solution for yourself, and once you have seen it you will indeed feel enlightened if there is such a thing in the world of non believers.

er..thanks. :mrgreen:
beejewel wrote:

They don't 'appear' to be travelling in eliptical orbits. Observations from the Earth show that the planets move all over the place. Taking the Sun as a preferred frame and plugging in eliptical orbits reproduces the apparent motion as observed from Earth.
As to 'velocity' and 'speed' - I have no idea what point you are making.
beejewel wrote:

No. The eliptical orbits are viewed from the Sun's rest frame.
beejewel wrote:

No idea what you mean.
beejewel wrote:

ditto
beejewel wrote:

ditto

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 12, 2015 3:47 pm

It's all triangles.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby BlackBart » Jun 12, 2015 3:56 pm

How do they work? :popcorn:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 12, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi SteveBee :wave:
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby DavidMcC » Jun 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Why is this thread still in a science forum? IMO, it belongs, along with several recent physics forum threads, in the pseudoscience forum.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby laklak » Jun 12, 2015 5:52 pm

Planets are, like, big magnets, or something.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Weaver » Jun 12, 2015 5:57 pm

If the planets were not moving in the elliptical orbits described by conventional science, we wouldn't be able to send spacecraft to and past them with the accuracy we do. An examination of the accuracy required for the New Horizons mission to Pluto shows just how accurately we describe the orbits of the planets, even though the initial descriptions by Kepler had inherent measurement errors.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby campermon » Jun 12, 2015 6:02 pm

laklak wrote:Planets are, like, big magnets, or something.

Aye.

I'm buying folks!

:cheers:
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Weaver » Jun 12, 2015 6:03 pm

Woohoo! It's been far too long since we had a good physics pub thread!

I'll have a pint with a pint chaser, Campermon!
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#16  Postby campermon » Jun 12, 2015 6:09 pm

Weaver wrote:Woohoo! It's been far too long since we had a good physics pub thread!

I'll have a pint with a pint chaser, Campermon!

Here you go :beer:

I'm currently enjoying;

campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby laklak » Jun 12, 2015 6:41 pm

ooo, I'd love a decent pint of cider! And one for yourself, landlord.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#18  Postby BlackBart » Jun 12, 2015 6:47 pm

Decent cider eh?...
You'll touch the mind of god...
You'll run around with no trousers...
You'll fall over...
Not necessarily in that order.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#19  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 12, 2015 7:16 pm

beejewel wrote:Do any of you skeptics see why Kepler might have been wrong?

He wasn't wrong, just not completely accurate. Einstein pointed out his inaccuracies and explained Mercury's orbit in the process.

Oh... and...

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby beejewel » Jun 13, 2015 12:11 am

Don't worry, for most of you guys it won't make any difference which way the planets rotate, just enjoy your cold ale and get on with whatever you are doing. If anyone here is really concerned about which way the planets rotate, just send me a PM, I would be happy to explain why it matters.
beejewel

Male

Print view this post

Next

Return to Pseudoscience