Recent spate of large earthquakes, eruptions and CERN?

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Recent spate of large earthquakes, eruptions and CERN?

#21  Postby chairman bill » Apr 16, 2010 11:59 am

A piddling little eruption in Iceland spews some ash into the atmosphere & it's the end of the world! We're only noticing it in the UK because the winds are blowing from the north rather than the south west.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Luis Dias » Apr 16, 2010 12:01 pm

chairman bill wrote:A piddling little eruption in Iceland spews some ash into the atmosphere & it's the end of the world! We're only noticing it in the UK because the winds are blowing from the north rather than the south west.

You just wait, man, just wait...
Luis Dias

Male

Portugal (pt)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Scot Dutchy » Apr 16, 2010 12:04 pm

Luis Dias wrote:
chairman bill wrote:A piddling little eruption in Iceland spews some ash into the atmosphere & it's the end of the world! We're only noticing it in the UK because the winds are blowing from the north rather than the south west.

If Katla blows we could be in big shit. In 1783 it killed 10000 people in Europe with its ash and caused it to be winter for a whole year. Read the other thread on Volcano's.
Even if the wind changed it would not matter as the ash has reached the Jet Stream.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Alan C » Apr 17, 2010 8:03 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Luis Dias wrote:

If Katla blows we could be in big shit. In 1783 it killed 10000 people in Europe with its ash and caused it to be winter for a whole year. Read the other thread on Volcano's.
Even if the wind changed it would not matter as the ash has reached the Jet Stream.

The sulfur was pretty nasty too if I read rightly.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#25  Postby klazmon » Apr 17, 2010 9:11 am

alienpresence wrote:Is there anyone able to tell whether stream of recent large scale geological activity is anomolous in a statisitical sense? I'm not saying CERN is to blame(but it is a risk factor, along with melting icecaps) yet we've had quite few 7+ Richter scale earthquakes and now Iceland is dusting Europe with a spectaculor. Is 2012 a reality happening under our feet? Is this the beginning of the end or something like that? :whine:

Here's what the USGS have to say:

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=2439

USGS wrote:Scientists say 2010 is not showing signs of unusually high earthquake activity. Since 1900, an average of 16 magnitude 7 or greater earthquakes — the size that seismologists define as major — have occurred worldwide each year. Some years have had as few as 6, as in 1986 and 1989, while 1943 had 32, with considerable variability from year to year.

With six major earthquakes striking in the first four months of this year, 2010 is well within the normal range. Furthermore, from April 15, 2009, to April 14, 2010, there have been 18 major earthquakes, a number also well within the expected variation.
klazmon

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#26  Postby alienpresence » Apr 17, 2010 9:41 am

klazmon wrote:
alienpresence wrote:Is there anyone able to tell whether stream of recent large scale geological activity is anomolous in a statisitical sense? I'm not saying CERN is to blame(but it is a risk factor, along with melting icecaps) yet we've had quite few 7+ Richter scale earthquakes and now Iceland is dusting Europe with a spectaculor. Is 2012 a reality happening under our feet? Is this the beginning of the end or something like that? :whine:

Here's what the USGS have to say:

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=2439

USGS wrote:Scientists say 2010 is not showing signs of unusually high earthquake activity. Since 1900, an average of 16 magnitude 7 or greater earthquakes — the size that seismologists define as major — have occurred worldwide each year. Some years have had as few as 6, as in 1986 and 1989, while 1943 had 32, with considerable variability from year to year.

With six major earthquakes striking in the first four months of this year, 2010 is well within the normal range. Furthermore, from April 15, 2009, to April 14, 2010, there have been 18 major earthquakes, a number also well within the expected variation.

Thanks. Thats all I wanted to know. Although the conspiracy stuff is entertaining in its way. Suppose it's just bad luck that the earthquakes are hitting populated areas this year? Makes me feel sorry for those living on fault lines. Read people are drawn to living on volcanoes and the like cos of the good soil and the low vibrations; the rumblings of the sky-god? Worse realism than theists or what? :lol:
To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. - Maximillien Robiespierre

alienpresence

Male

Print view this post

#27  Postby byofrcs » Apr 17, 2010 9:47 am

1) We should get some beautiful sunsets.
2) Go long on heating fuels.
3) Go long on Southern hemisphere food suppliers and currencies.
4) Short airline stock
5) Go long on Train set suppliers etc
10) Profit

I fail to see a problem here.
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#28  Postby DoctorE » Apr 19, 2010 11:56 am

Gawd hates Afghanistan... more quakes for the "theory" ;)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGUL_kHntY[/youtube]
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Agrippina » Apr 19, 2010 12:03 pm

I've got space if any refugees are looking for a place to stay. :lol:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Dogmatic Pyrrhonist » Apr 29, 2010 5:07 am

tnjrp wrote:
Shub Niggurath wrote:Get it right HAARP is the earthquake causing tool of the illuminati reptilian elite.
Didn't you imply in another thread that these upheavals are the sign of the Great Old Ones preparing to walk the Earth once more? :ask:

I'd imagine any extant Shud Nigguraths would be doing what they could to hasten the rise of said great old ones from the deep.
Been to any good Yog Soggoth parties recently?
Dogmatic Pyrrhonist
AKA https://plus.google.com/u/0/105518842266362138077/about (google has decided my name isn't a 'real' name)

Dogmatic Pyrrhonist

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#31  Postby iamthereforeithink » Apr 29, 2010 5:21 am

Of course it's doomsday. Volcanic eruptions are only allowed to take place on distant pacific islands, not on civilized europe.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.” ― Sun Tzu, The Art of War
iamthereforeithink

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#32  Postby byofrcs » Apr 29, 2010 5:30 am

In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Weaver » Apr 29, 2010 7:21 am

The perception that more severe earthquakes have been happening recently is due to 1) greater, faster global information flow, and 2) expanded global populace.

Ice caps melting has absolutely nothing to do with earthquakes, BTW.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Teshi » May 23, 2010 1:37 am

I saw a great graph of the history of Earthquakes recently, which showed that we are still puttering along at the same level we always have, but darned if I can remember where I saw it.
Teshi

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Weaver » May 23, 2010 2:33 am

There was something on the site that hosts Pharyngula recently, covering whether earthquake frequency had increased recently - bottom line, no.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Agrippina » May 23, 2010 4:52 am

I watched a TV show about how Iceland was formed recently, it was obviously made before the latest eruption but it was interesting to see how they were saying that the volcanoes would erupt before very long, and then it happened. Is there still a danger of the other one blowing now?
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#37  Postby newolder » May 23, 2010 1:47 pm

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#38  Postby Paul Almond » May 23, 2010 2:00 pm

95Theses wrote:...or if you really do think that the LHC might make black holes that destroy the earth
Some people say that this has already happened.
If I ever start making posts like "On the banning and partial banning of words!" then I view my life as less than worthless and I hope that my friends here would have a collection to pay for ninjas to be sent to my home to kill me*. (*=humanely)
Paul Almond

Name: Paul Almond
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Agrippina » May 23, 2010 2:03 pm

Thanks for that link, I've bookmarked it to watch what happens.
What are the dangers if the second volcano does erupt?
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#40  Postby newolder » May 23, 2010 2:18 pm

Agrippina wrote:

Thanks for that link, I've bookmarked it to watch what happens.
What are the dangers if the second volcano does erupt?

wiki wrote:...The last major eruption occurred in 1918, although there may have been a couple small eruptions that did not break the ice cover: one in 1955[1] and another 1999[2]. Since 930, 16 eruptions have been documented. The Eldgjá canyon is part of the same volcanic system.[3][4] It is thought that Katla is the source of the Vedde Ash (more than 6 to 7 cubic kilometers (1.4 to 1.7 cu mi) of tephra dated to 10,600 years BP)[1][5][6][7] found at a number of sites including Norway, Scotland and North Atlantic cores. The last eruption in 1918 resulted in extending the southern coast by 5 km due to laharic flood deposits. The present volcanic repose since 1918 is among the longest known in historic times.[8]....

wiki source
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Pseudoscience