Rick Simpson: claimed cancer cure

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Rick Simpson: claimed cancer cure

#21  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 23, 2020 4:04 pm

BWE wrote:The thing about Marijuana related medicines is that they have not been studied extensively yet.
[Reveal] Spoiler:
I have found that just plain smoking pot actually cures the symptoms of my ulcerative colitis and if you visit forums where patients discuss their experiences, it seems to be common. Great if it works but it doesn't work for everyone so there is something else going on too.

I get pretty uptight when people tell me about what I should be doing to manage my symptoms. It's not like I haven't read pretty much all the relevant literature and tried 40 different diets..

It's straight up irresponsible to promote "cures" that haven't been studied. But almost worse is the level of condescension involved in telling someone who is sick that there is a secret miracle cure that they've never heard of because Dr's are keeping it secret.

Desperation drives a lot of decisions when cures are involved and logic is easy to toss by the wayside in dire circumstances.

Marijuana shows a lot of potential in a lot of areas of medicine. In my case, enough people have reported symptom relief that there are now a lot of studies coming out with positive feedback. Maybe it can help some conditions. But it actually makes a difference to discuss that with a Dr if you decide to try it because, contrary to popular folk tales, being near comatose is actually a pretty horrendous side effect.

This is basically a mixed bag of rant and musing.

/my 2c

I'm doing my part to solve that omission in the body of knowledge.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby BlackBart » Jun 23, 2020 4:19 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
felltoearth wrote:
JustStarDust wrote:It's like, as silly as me saying..

'I can't believe you, slumpedtoearth, because you promote cocaine use, because of Bowie in your avatar.'

Yes, you are saying silly things here and posting silly videos. You’re starting to catch on.

What the....?

I thought that photo was you!

Well, that's who you look like in my mind, now.

Full disclosure; I'm not Vivian Stanshall.

Nor am I a Mesopotanian demon.

Honest.
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 23, 2020 4:22 pm

And I'm not the reincarnation of Orson Welles. Though I wish I was.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Fallible » Jun 23, 2020 4:23 pm

I am not a caricature in the naïf style drawn by Jennifer.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 23, 2020 4:25 pm

Well, you weren't until the eyeball got fixed.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby BlackBart » Jun 23, 2020 4:29 pm

Fallible wrote:I am not a caricature in the naïf style drawn by Jennifer.

Do you own an impractically small lime green umbrella though?
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Fallible » Jun 23, 2020 4:31 pm

I could shatter all sorts of beliefs here if I’m not careful.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby BlackBart » Jun 23, 2020 4:35 pm

Just don't shatter my illusions about the psychedelic dress - that's my emotional crutch.
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Hermit » Jun 23, 2020 4:41 pm

felltoearth wrote:If your opening premise is false what follows doesn’t matter.

JustStarDust wrote:It's like, as silly as me saying..

'I can't believe you, slumpedtoearth, because you promote cocaine use, because of Bowie in your avatar.'

Thanks for providing an example of a false opening premise, and agreeing that what follows does not matter.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#30  Postby Fallible » Jun 23, 2020 4:46 pm

BlackBart wrote:Just don't shatter my illusions about the psychedelic dress - that's my emotional crutch.

Nah, you’re ok there. I have items in my wardrobe that are more disorientating than Hypnotoad.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby BlackBart » Jun 23, 2020 4:49 pm

:awesome:
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Hermit » Jun 23, 2020 4:52 pm

Beware! I am the inscrutable two-part Taiji diagram. Any attempt to discover the meaning of me will cause your brain to asplode. JSD is safe, though. In order to have one's brain asplode one needs to have a functioning brain.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Male

Print view this post

#33  Postby Fallible » Jun 23, 2020 5:34 pm

:tehe:
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Evolving » Jun 23, 2020 5:46 pm

I really am Lucy van Pelt.

Lucy angry.jpg
Lucy angry.jpg (3.25 KiB) Viewed 251 times
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Svartalf » Jun 23, 2020 6:02 pm

Well, I really am a hyena, my sire and dam were subjected to Ninja Turtles type experiments, and their offspring turned out to have human intelligence and forepaws suitable to typing... but I still have shitty humour and that horrible laughter.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Fallible » Jun 23, 2020 6:04 pm

This really is an educational website.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#37  Postby felltoearth » Jun 24, 2020 3:10 pm

Yeah right.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#38  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 24, 2020 3:15 pm

felltoearth wrote:

Yeah right.

It's somewhat amusing to me that these images are exactly what you guys look like in my head. I don't know your real faces at all for most of you here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#39  Postby felltoearth » Jun 24, 2020 4:00 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
felltoearth wrote:

Yeah right.

It's somewhat amusing to me that these images are exactly what you guys look like in my head. I don't know your real faces at all for most of you here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You were being serious! My bad. No, I’m not, never have been, and never will be Bowie. There was only one.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#40  Postby BWE » Jun 24, 2020 5:29 pm

Fallible wrote:
BWE wrote:I simply refuse the biologic route. And yeah, I try to be polite and say thank you for the information but 90% of the time people who offer unwanted advice go on and on about it and I occasionally go to the shut the fuck up place

Some good posts from you here. If you tell people about your illness, a certain percentage of them WILL start in with the ‘have you tried x,y,z ‘alternative’ medicine?’ The onus is then placed on you to politely tell them thanks but no thanks. I don’t want to have to do that. I told you about my illness because I have known you for a long time, and figured that in time you’d be noticing I’m not quite myself. I didn’t request advice on how to treat my illness. One person in particular asked me if I had heard that cancer can’t survive in an alkaline environment and that ‘turning your body alkaline’ would cure cancer. Of course I’ve bloody heard it, I’m someone who immediately started researching my condition in some considerable depth as soon as I found out what I had. This, and a basic level of intellectual ability, is how I know it’s complete nonsense. You can’t turn your body alkaline, and if you could, you would die. Sadly one ‘thanks but no thanks’ was not enough. She started in on me again later the same day, saying that she had suffered from polycystic ovary disease and an alkaline diet had cured it, so I should try this diet. Can anyone tell me why someone thinks that PCOD behaves the same way as stage IV renal cell carcinoma and will respond to the same ‘treatments’?

Another friend I’ve known a long time lost her husband to oesophageal cancer two months before I was diagnosed. We had all clubbed together to obtain some cannabis oil (illegal here unless you’re a child with epilepsy, having hundreds of seizures a day). I’m well aware of the reported benefits on cancer symptoms, not a problem. It was unlikely to harm him in his terminal illness. After he died and my cancer returned, she was left with an almost full vial, which she passed on to me. I gratefully accepted it, and would have gladly used it for alleviation of symptoms if she had not been storing it incorrectly for months. Unfortunately, it came along with a ring bound booklet full of complete nonsense, for example that cancer is a fungus, that it can be cured by cannabis oil and that doctors don’t want you to know. Clearly this doesn’t make sense on any level. As a basic start off, we live in the U.K. where we have the NHS. Doctors working in the public health system have nothing to gain by lying about effective treatments. As soon as I realised what this booklet was driving at, it went straight in the bin. Let’s hope she never asks for it back. It angers me to think she read all this at a vulnerable time in her life and was invested in her husband being cured by the oil.

There are several studies of the effects of various thc products on various cancers happening at least in my neck of the woods and I wouldn't write it off as a potential therapy, (it is well known to alleviate some of the side effects of chemo for example), but yeah. The witchcraft element is maddening beyond belief.

Also, a little personal anecdote. I was stuck in a cabin in the mountains for a week with several people who are very close friends and a new family who was friends with one of my friends. The man heard about my condition mostly because it's difficult to hide. He teaches some sort of alternative something and would not stop explaining my condition to me. I tried even listening politely and saying that I would definitely try his whatever when I got home. He got more rather than less insistent and offered to drive to an herb store and natural foods place to get me started right then.

That was like day 4 of 7. I wasn't mean by my standards but I did tell him that his advice was no longer welcome, that I was here to be hiking, not medicining and I would not be as polite if he brought it up again. He said, fine, just because I am an expert doesn't mean you need to listen. I told him that was exactly right. He never quite got over it and it caused tension within the group too for the next 3 days.

I understand that people really just want to help and that when they see something like a chronic condition their heuristic mode kicks in. It isn't really their fault but it would be really nice if it were common knowledge that unsolicited advice regarding medical issues is generally unwanted by the person who has to live with it.

Also, I developed lesions on my brain a few years ago from a therapy gone wrong and have had kind of substantial problems with words and recall ever since. It's significantly more frustrating when people try to help me with that than with the colitis. I mean, what the hell alternative medicine knows about brain wiring is exactly zero.

The therapy is among the more draining things in my life and to hear people tell me that neurologists don't know as much about brains as Chinese medicine people when I feel like I have just run a marathon and can't remember my kids names is triggering to put it mildly.

I guess this has devolved into a rant but I have found that being direct does work to some extent. I try to say that I do appreciate the concern but that advice is unwelcome.
BWE

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Pseudoscience