Rick Simpson - Hemp Oil Cancer 'Cure'

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Rick Simpson - Hemp Oil Cancer 'Cure'

#1  Postby Ispry » May 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi guys. First post so please be gentle with me. :)

I was hoping to prompt some discussion of the supposed cure-all properties of hemp oil, as posited by Rick Simpson on his Phoenix Tears website, Facebook, & I daresay elsewhere. Rick states that the oil cures pretty much whatever ails you, but my interest lies in the claims that are made for its curative value in the context of cancer, because I'm concerned that cancer sufferers who may have success with mainstream therapies might eschew those therapies in favour of the oil, thereby reducing or altogether eliminating their chances of survival.

There is a growing body of research to indicate that cannabinoids such as delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) may have therapeutic potential for helping to treat specific cancers. There is also research to support the appetite-stimulatory effect of certain cannabinoids, & Dronabinol & Nabilone are both FDA approved antiemetics for cancer chemotherapy n/v. But the research does not justify the view that ingesting hemp oil will cure any form of cancer. Not a single individual has been cured of a cancer with cannabis or one or a combination of cannabinoids, according to the research literature.

Common arguments In favour of the oil, that I've witnessed, are based on anecdotal evidence & a wild extrapolation of the science. My query is, whilst Cancer Research UK & the National Cancer Institute have both tackled the issue to some extent, why is it not an issue that has generally been picked up on in sceptical circles? It seems to be an issue that is more controversial amongst the sceptically literate than it should be. Anybody disagree with my assessment, or have any thoughts as to why its not getting any attention?
Ispry

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Rick Simpson - Hemp Oil Cancer 'Cure'

#2  Postby CdesignProponentsist » May 17, 2013 10:39 pm

Do you have any references you can link? It beat's having everyone else dig for the information.

I am always suspicious of cure-alls even when it has to do with my favorite plant :D

Welcome to Ratskep :cheers:
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Ispry » May 18, 2013 10:44 am

Sure thing. :smile:

Phoenix Tears is Simpson's site - what the oil supposedly does, how to prepare it etc.

http://www.phoenixtears.ca/

CRUK have done a few general pieces on cannabis cancer cures. Here's the most recent:

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org ... ce-so-far/

The NCI pages on the current status of research:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/ ... onal/page1

A couple of sceptical articles:

http://www.skepticalraptor.com/skeptica ... cts-smoke/

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ind ... ld-you-do/

Simpson's Facebook following has escalated from circa 6,000 to circa 32,000 in the last year & its growth seems somewhat exponential in nature, so I think it merits some serious attention. The appeal of cannabis & the legalisation controversy is perhaps more than half the picture, I think.

Thanks for the nudge & the welcome, CdesignProponentsist :grin:
Ispry

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Ispry » May 18, 2013 12:46 pm

Tommy Chong's recent announcement that he is 'cancer-free' owing to a mixture of hemp oil, nutrition & the services of Adam Dreamhealer, on the basis that he 'feels the best [he has] felt in years.'

http://m.guardian.co.uk/film/2013/may/1 ... ure-cancer
Ispry

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Ispry » Jun 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Dr Grinspoon said: 'Simpson, who does not have a medical or scientific education (he dropped out of school in ninth grade), apparently does not require that a candidate for his treatment have an established diagnosis of a specific type of cancer, usually achieved through biopsy, gross and histopathological examinations, radiologic and clinical laboratory evidence.

'He apparently accepts the word of his "patients".  Furthermore, after he has given the course of "hemp-oil" there is apparently no clinical or laboratory follow-up.'He apparently accepts the "patient's" belief that he has been cured.  

'According to Hager, he claims a cure rate of 70%.  But 70% of what?  

'Do all the people he "treats" with hemp oil medicine have medically established, well-documented cancer or is he treating the symptoms or a constellation of symptoms that he or the patient have concluded signify the existence of cancer? 

'And what is the nature and duration of the follow-up which would allow him to conclude that he has cured 70%?  

'Furthermore, does this population of "patients with cancer" include those who have already had therapeutic regimes (such as surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy) which are known to be successful in curing some cancers or holding at bay, sometimes for long periods of time, many others?'

And the doctor, whose oldest son died of cancer when he was 11, also issued a warning to people considering using the treatment.He said: 'There are patients who have a medically sound diagnosis of pre-symptomatic cancer (such as early prostate cancer) but who, for one reason or another, eschew allopathic treatment and desperately seek out other approaches.  

'Such patients are all too eager to believe that a new treatment, such as hemp-oil medicine, has cured their cancer.  

'Unfortunately, this cancer which was asymptomatic at the time of its discovery, will eventually become symptomatic and at that time the possibility of a cure is significantly diminished, if not no longer a conceivable goal. '

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... nabis.html

The Daily Mail piece is the only article I've come across thus far re Tommy Chong that is even remotely sceptical in nature. No one seems to be picking up on the fact that his declaration of complete remission is based upon the fact that he feels good, not on the results of MRI & blood tests he admits at the time of writing he was as yet to undergo.

I'm hoping that TC realises that his followers are bound to be primarily concerned with his health, & wouldn't hold a genuinely held but erroneous belief against him were he to go public with results that contradict his recent statement.
Ispry

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby will2568 » Jun 28, 2013 7:33 pm

I would have to say that Simpson's oil falls under the category of quasi-science rather than outright pseudoscience. I take issue with the choice of solvent he uses in the manufacturing process, because naphtha, commonly sold as paint thinner, is known to contain traces of neurotoxic carcinogenic chemicals such as benzene and toluene. This is not something I'm interested in consuming or giving to a loved one. No matter how long it's boiled, there will always be solvent residue left behind. There are safer alternatives such as beverage grade grain alcohol which are just as effective at dissolving cannabinoids. Although such concoctions as Simpson's oil are new to me, I have witnessed the palliative effects of cannabis use firsthand. I have seen it reduce spasticity in people with MS as well as spinal cord and brain injuries. The effect of cannabis on muscle spasms is what makes it so effective against nausea caused by chemotherapy drugs. Large doses induce sleep, which is healing all by itself because it allows the body to redirect energy to healing that would normally be expended on conscious thought and/or action. While I am skeptical that Simpson's oil is truly a cure for cancer, I have no doubt that if made properly with non-toxic solvent, it will relieve the side effects of conventional chemotherapy and induce regenerative sleep.
will2568

Name: William Dwyer

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby mkbrown67 » Oct 24, 2013 10:39 am

@will2568..... you would be concerned about the residual traces left behind from the use of naptha used in the manufacturing process yet are ok with huge amounts of toxic poisons and radiation which are given in chemotherapy sessions? While I definitely agree that it would be the better choice to use beverage grade grain alcohol, I fail to see the logic in your statement.
mkbrown67

Name: megan brown

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Claussen » Oct 28, 2013 1:52 am

@Ispry: I would advise you to be highly skeptical of anything that claims to be a cure all to cancer. This is because cancer is not a singular disease. Cancer is basically uncontrolled cell growth and division, which can be attained through various molecular mechanisms. Additionally, each of these mechanisms tends to have its own quirks and manifests slightly differently. To complicate things even more, cancer is generally not caused solely by a single mutation. Scientists have recently begun sorting mutations into different categories based upon the pathways it effects (i.e. DNA repair, cell cycle regulation, angiogenesis, etc...). The mutations in each category in addition to the number of categories overall continue to expand as researchers find more links to cancer, and I currently believe the average is somewhere around 6 mutations required to cause cancer). As a result, while certain treatments may be effective against certain cancers, there is no catch-all cure due to the ways in which cancer can manifest.

While there is no doubt that cannabis has a helpful palliative effect for cancer patients, I can pretty confidently say that it is not the "phoenix tears" that people who don't understand the science behind cancer make it out to be. Nonetheless, this is not to say that cannabis does not have some sort of anti-cancer effect for specific variants of cancer (I believe this is what most scientists who are actually researching cannabis' anti-cancer potential are interested in versus a "cure-all").

Just for fun I've included two links to comics that help illustrate this in an easily understood fashion :P
http://xkcd.com/1217/
http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2438

@mkbrown67: You are correct in the sense that chemotherapy drugs are essentially "toxic poisons". However, to place them in the same category as benzene and toluene is not quite correct. I would like to take this time to address the issue of why chemotherapy drugs are poisons because many people cannot seem to understand why this is a necessary evil. All cancers stem from your own cells. In other words, they are YOU. This is why chemotherapy has such harsh side effects. Antibiotics have the luxury of targeting bacteria who have a significantly different morphology than your cells. As a result, antibiotics are often formulated to interfere with properties that are necessary for them to survive that have little to no consequences for your own cells. The big one here would be bacterial walls since many bacteria have this but your cells don't. On the other hand, in order to target cancer cells, we take advantage of exaggerated traits. For example, many chemotherapy drugs interfere with DNA replication, which is essential for cell division. This effects cancer cells more heavily since they divide so frequently, but it inadvertently affects your cells as well since they also continue to divide (albeit at a slower rate). As a result, chemotherapy drugs are chosen or designed because they take advantage of these exaggerated properties. Chemicals that are toxic to your cells in general that don't take advantage of these properties provide no benefit and would only cause the patient's health to ail even faster. Therefore, will2568 has all the right in the world to be worried about the safety of the manufacturing process.
Claussen

Name: Brian Chin

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby bleedsblue » Mar 24, 2014 7:35 pm

So. If Cannabis cures cancer.....can someone tell me how the heck Tommy Chung got cancer in the first place?
bleedsblue

Name: Jeff Lagemann

Print view this post

#10  Postby Padymcc » Jun 05, 2014 6:56 pm

First post for me as well....
I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer in 2012 (5 of 12 areas positive). Having researched and finding the info on Rick Simpson oil, I was fortunate enough to live in a state with a Medical Marijuana Law and immediately got myself a card. While the local compassion center originally only had a weaker version of Rick Simpson's oil, which I began taking nightly, it recently began making Phoenix oil and I was happy to have access to it.
Three weeks ago I had a prostate biopsy, my third, to check the status and if the cancer was growing.
THANK YOU RICK SIMPSON, the report shows 100% NEGATIVE - all my former cancer is GONE !!!

I wish to thank all who posted on-line so the information is out there for people just like me who when diagnosed, have information readily available to them.

I shall continue with my regiment of a nightly dose of Phoenix oil and look forward to results of the study which I am in.
Padymcc

Name: Patrick McCaffrey

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Animavore » Jun 05, 2014 8:52 pm

Is this a spam thread? Where did all you people come from?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Wuffy » Jul 28, 2014 4:14 am

Wow... Uh I guess this Simpson guy really wants to crank a bunch of SEO for his stuff... I mean.. why the random 1 post 'discussers'
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Templeton » Jul 28, 2014 4:36 am

A more nutrient rich diet will make a difference by boosting the immune system, and overall health of the cellular body.

:coffee:
Templeton

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby epepke » Jul 28, 2014 4:51 am

There is some reasonably good evidence that cannibis can have an anti-cancer effect, mostly by reducing blood flow to tumors. It also has a lot of palliative effects, some of which are indirectly beneficial by making it easier to eat.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/ ... ient/page2

The idea that somebody with some solvents can make something that is active against a substantial number of cancers, reliably, is drivel. You might get lucky, and if I had cancer, I'd try as much edible cannabis as I could stand, though I wouldn't go for nostrums using questionable solvents.

I'd really much rather have scientists study the compounds and figure out what works and what doesn't and how best to deliver them, if they find anything good.

If we hadn't had an insane War on Drugs for decades, or even if we hadn't had the Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 based on racist and nationalist outrage, we might have all this by now. Or not. Science isn't guaranteed to work.

If we hadn't had the Controlled Substances Act of 1970, which declared cannabis not to have any medical uses by fiat, even. By now, there is enough evidence that cannabis does have widely accepted medical uses.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Briton » Jul 28, 2014 8:42 am

Templeton wrote:A more nutrient rich diet will make a difference by boosting the immune system, and overall health of the cellular body.

:coffee:

I'm about to inject a drug to suppress mine. The immune system can be a bugger when it turns on you.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby coroot » Jan 27, 2015 2:57 pm

Chemical compounds found in hemp oil can help treat multiple sclerosis-like diseases in mice by preventing inflammation in the brain and spinal cord:
https://anointcom.com/the-anointoil-pro ... gainst-ms/
when THC connects to the CB1 or CB2 cannabinoid receptor site on the cancer cell, it causes an increase in ceramide synthesis which drives cell death:
https://anointcom.com/how-hemp-oil-work ... ll-cancer/
coroot

Name: Nathanian

Print view this post

Return to Pseudoscience