Sharing a WTF from the BBC.

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Ironclad, Onyx8

#1  Postby Spearthrower » May 06, 2012 9:54 am

So there's a perfectly normal article on the 'supermoon' visible at the moment.

It talks a bit about the phenomenon and perigrees and the like; has a quote from the Royal Astronomical Society... and then suddenly, for no apparent reason whatsoever, it devotes a paragraph to informing the reader that:

Scientists have dismissed the idea the perigee could cause strange behaviour - like lycanthropy - or natural disasters.

link

I really have no idea where that came from or who decided that was an appropriately useful factlet to round off the article!
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods.
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Sharing a WTF from the BBC.

#2  Postby jim » May 06, 2012 9:58 am

Zero chance of werewolves then. Lets count our blessings, coulda been messy.
Father Dougal:
Come on, Ted. Sure it's no more peculiar than all that stuff we learned in the seminary, you know, Heaven and Hell and everlasting life and all that type of thing. You're not meant to take it seriously, Ted!
jim

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby John P. M. » May 06, 2012 10:09 am

Maybe they mean clinical lycanthropy (thinking one is a wolf/animal), or maybe meant to refer to lunacy.

Otherwise I think they should have mentioned cheese as well in an article about the moon.
John P. M.
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Precambrian Rabbi » May 06, 2012 11:21 am

So - to use the opportunity to slip in a reference to my favourite ever line of movie dialogue - no expectation of an increase in carnivorous lunar activity then?
"...religion may attract good people but it doesn't produce them. And it draws in a lot of hateful nutjobs too..." AronRa
Precambrian Rabbi

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Shrunk » May 06, 2012 11:28 am

Spearthrower wrote:So there's a perfectly normal article on the 'supermoon' visible at the moment.

It talks a bit about the phenomenon and perigrees and the like; has a quote from the Royal Astronomical Society... and then suddenly, for no apparent reason whatsoever, it devotes a paragraph to informing the reader that:

Scientists have dismissed the idea the perigee could cause strange behaviour - like lycanthropy - or natural disasters.

link

I really have no idea where that came from or who decided that was an appropriately useful factlet to round off the article!

It's still a pretty wildly held belief, and there seems to be many who think it has been scientifically verified. On the psychiatric ward where I work, when the patients are particularly difficult to manage I'll often hear one of the staff saying, in earnest, "Must be a full moon."
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby DavidMcC » May 06, 2012 12:21 pm

Spearthrower wrote:So there's a perfectly normal article on the 'supermoon' visible at the moment.

link

Spearthrower, I would distinguish between the "lycanthropy" and the "natural disasters". At least the natural disaster issue can be dealt with scientifically, because it was not irrational, just wrong, because of the numbers, if you like. Lycanthropy, on the other hand, is just superstitious nonsense. Therefore, IMO, it was only the lycanthropy that had no place there.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Varangian » May 06, 2012 12:24 pm

The funny thing is that the Moon is "full" all the time - it is just a difference in how much we see of the part exposed to the Sun...

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Regina » May 06, 2012 12:28 pm

That's akin to people saying: "Shitty weather, the sun isn't shining." To which I usually reply: "Of course it is, otherwise it'd be pitch dark and more than a little cold."
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#9  Postby campermon » May 06, 2012 12:33 pm

Regina wrote:That's akin to people saying: "Shitty weather, the sun isn't shining." To which I usually reply: "Of course it is, otherwise it'd be pitch dark and more than a little cold."

What is this 'Sun' you talk of?

I'm from the UK.
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Regina » May 06, 2012 12:45 pm

Campermon: The sun is a celestial body, which you shouldn't look at directly as it's a bit bright, especially around noon.
But if you have it behind you, it looks like that:

No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#11  Postby twistor59 » May 06, 2012 1:01 pm

Talking of which, from the Guardian:
(I've pasted a quote, because surely they'll correct it?)

Supermoon makes photographers go crazy

Perigee moon appears 14% bigger and 30% brighter as planet passes closer to Earth

Now I'm not an expert astronomer but.....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/may/06/supermoon-makes-photographers-crazy?CMP=twt_fd
Feel your body melt Mum to mud to mad to dad
Dad diddley office Dad diddley office.....you're all full of ball
Dad to dam to dum to mum
Mum diddley washing Mum diddley washing.....you're all full of ball
twistor59
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Ironclad » May 06, 2012 1:51 pm

That BBC 'boob' is actually appalling. Totally out of the blue, and stoopid.

Amazingly, this finding is also discussion on the BBC TV news! In front of a Royal Astronomical Society spokesman (who didn't facepalm) the newsreader made the same wolf-free observation.
Please tell me, this isn't 13th century Slovakia is it? I may have time-slipped.
"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"We all feed on death, even vegetarians" - Spock

"Sometimes you just have to bow to the absurd" - Picard
Ironclad

Name: Irradiant Troglodyte
Male

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#13  Postby campermon » May 06, 2012 2:00 pm

twistor59 wrote:Talking of which, from the Guardian:

Perigee moon appears 14% bigger and 30% brighter as planet passes closer to Earth

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2012/may/06/supermoon-makes-photographers-crazy?CMP=twt_fd

From here; http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/moon_ap_per.html

The angular size;

Perigee - Angle subtended: 0.5548°

Apogee - Angle subtended: 0.4923°

So at perigee it appears to be about 14% wider than at apogee.

Not sure about the moon been 30% brighter.

:ask:

edit - the same link also says that it's about 30% brighter.

;)
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Precambrian Rabbi » May 06, 2012 2:57 pm

Pluto must be fuming! :lol:
"...religion may attract good people but it doesn't produce them. And it draws in a lot of hateful nutjobs too..." AronRa
Precambrian Rabbi

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Spearthrower » May 06, 2012 3:22 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

link

Spearthrower, I would distinguish between the "lycanthropy" and the "natural disasters". At least the natural disaster issue can be dealt with scientifically, because it was not irrational, just wrong, because of the numbers, if you like. Lycanthropy, on the other hand, is just superstitious nonsense. Therefore, IMO, it was only the lycanthropy that had no place there.

To be clear, I was referring to the lycanthropy! ;)
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods.
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby tolman » Jun 13, 2012 4:11 pm

campermon wrote:

;)

Depends what is meant by 'brighter', I suppose.

Looking through a telescope of fixed magnification at a small part of it, the 'brightness' will be unchanged, since that doesn't vary with observer distance, but since there is more overall angular area the 'total light output' will be larger in proportion to the increased area.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

#17  Postby Calilasseia » Jul 03, 2012 9:12 am

campermon wrote:

From here; http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/moon_ap_per.html

The angular size;

Perigee - Angle subtended: 0.5548°

Apogee - Angle subtended: 0.4923°

So at perigee it appears to be about 14% wider than at apogee.

:ask:

;)

We can apply some basic geometry here.

Let us approximate the appearance of the Moon by a disc. This disc will have a certain radius, r. This disc will have a certain surface area, said surface area being given by A = 4πr2. The apparent brightness will be proportional to the surface area - a larger reflecting surface will appear brighter than a smaller surface, because it's reflecting more incident light rays in our direction, and the number of incident light rays reflected in our direction will be proportional to the area.

So, let us increase the radius by 14%. This means that the radius is now 114r/100. Feeding this into the equation for area, we have that the new area is 4π[114r/100]2

= 4πr2 × (114/100)2

= 4πr2 × (129.96/100)

So the new area is 29.96% greater than the old area - approximately 30%.

QED.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Pseudoscience