So, Homeopathy does work after all!

(Possibly Killing babies)

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

So, Homeopathy does work after all!

#1  Postby NineBerry » Feb 23, 2017 11:15 am

FDA confirms elevated levels of belladonna in certain homeopathic teething products

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced today that its laboratory analysis found inconsistent amounts of belladonna, a toxic substance, in certain homeopathic teething tablets, sometimes far exceeding the amount claimed on the label. The agency is warning consumers that homeopathic teething tablets containing belladonna pose an unnecessary risk to infants and children and urges consumers not to use these products.

[...]

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom ... 538684.htm

[...]

"Most describe serious adverse events, like seizures," said Lyndsay Meyer, a spokeswoman for the FDA. "We are also aware of reports of 10 deaths during that time period that reference homeopathic teething products."
[...]

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/27/healt ... donna-fda/
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: So, Homeopathy does work after all!

#2  Postby Papa Smurf » Feb 23, 2017 11:33 am

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom ... 538684.htm
FDA News Release wrote:In light of these findings, the FDA contacted Standard Homeopathic Company in Los Angeles, the manufacturer of Hyland’s homeopathic teething products, regarding a recall of its homeopathic teething tablet products labeled as containing belladonna, in order to protect consumers from inconsistent levels of belladonna. At this time, the company has not agreed to conduct a recall

I assume the FDA has the authority to order a recall and that asking the company involved to do it voluntarily is just a first step, right?
Papa Smurf

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#3  Postby crank » Feb 23, 2017 7:31 pm

That's less and less the case as our regulatory system is more and more a corporate-run operation.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#4  Postby crank » Feb 23, 2017 7:38 pm

My soon to be 92 year old mom has suffered runny-nose problems since moving to a new area about 10 years ago. She's tried a number of OTC remedies, and there was one she thinks is the only one that has helped. I do all her shopping now and she asked me to get some for her, you can imagine my surprise when I saw it was a homeopathic medicine. She most probably has no idea what homeopathy is or that this med is such a remedy, and I didn't want to tell her. Maybe it's a placebo thing going, who knows, if it helps, I'll buy it for her and hold my tongue, but it's disconcerting to say the least, especially since my mom is quite rational and would not go in for quack BS if she knew about it.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#5  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Feb 23, 2017 8:53 pm

crank wrote:My soon to be 92 year old mom has suffered runny-nose problems since moving to a new area about 10 years ago. She's tried a number of OTC remedies, and there was one she thinks is the only one that has helped. I do all her shopping now and she asked me to get some for her, you can imagine my surprise when I saw it was a homeopathic medicine. She most probably has no idea what homeopathy is or that this med is such a remedy, and I didn't want to tell her. Maybe it's a placebo thing going, who knows, if it helps, I'll buy it for her and hold my tongue, but it's disconcerting to say the least, especially since my mom is quite rational and would not go in for quack BS if she knew about it.

You could try to replace it with water. I'm aware of the absurdity of replacing water with water, but you could show her that all she has been taking is water and she no longer needs to.

Not sure if that will do her any good though if the placebo effect is killed.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby crank » Feb 23, 2017 9:08 pm

Yeah, replacing water with water is kinda ridiculous, might as well just dilute the stuff more, except I don't want to overdose my mom!. While she's reasonably mentally sound, there are some times when she has serious memory holes and slips of reasoned thought, I think often for want of effort mostly. If the shit is working, I'm not saying anything, if it quits, then I'll explain things to her. She's getting a hip replaced on Tuesday so this isn't really a priority right now.
crank
RS Donator

Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Greyman » Feb 23, 2017 10:02 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:You could try to replace it with water. I'm aware of the absurdity of replacing water with water, but you could show her that all she has been taking is water and she no longer needs to.
The point is to replace the Belladonna.
"And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit." - T. Tick.
Greyman

Name: Graham

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby archibald » Feb 23, 2017 10:32 pm

At least the British Homeopathic Association sticks to the facts when writing about Belladonna:

"Even the number of petals of a flower has significance. In the ancient lore of numerology the number five possesses certain analogies – freedom, independence, changeability, rebelliousness, volatility, youth and adolescence, the five faculties and the sense pleasures. Five is also connected with fire and the colour red, which emotionally indicate passion and physically suggest inflammation. Fire is also symbolic of initiation, cleansing and regeneration."

"Behind the sternness of these mother goddesses abides a nurturing, infinite love for mankind working with seeming ruthlessness towards the destruction of the false-ego and the transcendence of the human psyche from the shadows towards the light."

http://www.britishhomeopathic.org/bha-c ... dimension/

You can't argue with that. So much for the suggestion that homeopathy is not legitimate medicine.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
archibald

Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby DavidMcC » Feb 26, 2017 2:45 pm

archibald wrote:At least the British Homeopathic Association sticks to the facts when writing about Belladonna:

"Even the number of petals of a flower has significance. In the ancient lore of numerology the number five possesses certain analogies – freedom, independence, changeability, rebelliousness, volatility, youth and adolescence, the five faculties and the sense pleasures. Five is also connected with fire and the colour red, which emotionally indicate passion and physically suggest inflammation. Fire is also symbolic of initiation, cleansing and regeneration."

"Behind the sternness of these mother goddesses abides a nurturing, infinite love for mankind working with seeming ruthlessness towards the destruction of the false-ego and the transcendence of the human psyche from the shadows towards the light."

http://www.britishhomeopathic.org/bha-c ... dimension/

You can't argue with that. So much for the suggestion that homeopathy is not legitimate medicine.

Nice one, archi! :lol:
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Feb 28, 2017 1:42 am

Greyman wrote:
CdesignProponentsist wrote:You could try to replace it with water. I'm aware of the absurdity of replacing water with water, but you could show her that all she has been taking is water and she no longer needs to.
The point is to replace the Belladonna.

Better to filter out and save the belladonna for some balls trippin' latter.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Pseudoscience