The Number 13

Would you buy it?

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: The Number 13

#41  Postby tuco » Jan 15, 2017 8:13 pm

Over here it brings luck.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Weaver » Jan 15, 2017 9:32 pm

It doesn't bring luck anywhere.

People just like to say it does sometimes.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby tuco » Jan 15, 2017 9:50 pm

How about here, Weaver?

Corneel wrote:
tuco wrote:
BlackBart wrote:No more than a black cat or a horseshoe has power.

Horseshoe does not have power, it just brings luck :)

It doesn't bring luck, iron wards of the fairies and a horseshoe was often the most convenient form iron came in when you wanted to nail some iron above your door.

Does it ward of the fairies or its what people say sometimes? I wanna be sure because this is complex and important issue.
tuco

Print view this post

#44  Postby Corneel » Jan 15, 2017 10:07 pm

tuco wrote:How about here, Weaver?

Corneel wrote:
tuco wrote:
BlackBart wrote:No more than a black cat or a horseshoe has power.

Horseshoe does not have power, it just brings luck :)

It doesn't bring luck, iron wards of the fairies and a horseshoe was often the most convenient form iron came in when you wanted to nail some iron above your door.

Does it ward of the fairies or its what people say sometimes? I wanna be sure because this is complex and important issue.

Not only fairies but also ghosts and other nasty spirits BTW, later people this evolved in people attaching general good luck to it.
"Damn it! Why am I arguing shit on the internet again!?"
"'cuz sometimes you just need a cumshot of stupid to the face?"

(from Something Positive)

The best movie theme ever

Ceterum censeo Praesidem Anguimanum esse demovendum
Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#45  Postby tuco » Jan 15, 2017 10:20 pm

Stupid superstitions! :)
tuco

Print view this post

#46  Postby Corneel » Jan 15, 2017 10:25 pm

Well put up a horseshoe and see whether you have any fairies in your house.

Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#47  Postby NineBerry » Jan 15, 2017 10:28 pm

What is the effect of horseshoes on Pokémon?
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby Corneel » Jan 15, 2017 10:37 pm

NineBerry wrote:What is the effect of horseshoes on Pokémon?

Now, now NineBerry, everybody knows that Pokémon are crass commercial creatures of fantasy, invented by the fairies to get humans favourably disposed towards weird looking little creatures.

Corneel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#49  Postby don't get me started » Jan 15, 2017 11:29 pm

I Japan the number four gets the superstitious to raise their hackles.
This is because one of the pronunciations of the number is 'shi', which is the same as one of the pronunciations for the character
死 = death.

So you will often find apartment buildings with no fourth floor and it is also a feature of hospitals.
Many Japanese are deeply superstitious and people claiming to have seen ghosts are not unusual.

There is an alternative pronunciation for the number four, as there is with the number seven.
Like this:
1 ichi
2 ni
3 san
4 shi / yon
5 go
6 roku
7 shichi / nana
8 hachi
9 kyu
10 jyu

It is one of those embuggerations learning the language; Which pronunciation do you use?
In Kyoto the streets are laid out on a grid an numbered. (Unlike the chaos of most Japanese cities)
If you are looking for 四条 (4th street), referring to it as 'Yon Jyo' will mark you as an out-of-towner, it is 'Shi Jyo' to those in the know.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Evolving » Jan 16, 2017 9:37 am

don't get me started wrote:So you will often find apartment buildings with no fourth floor

Obviously there is a fourth floor, just as there's a row thirteen in an aeroplane (unless it's a very short one), it's just not called that. Are the bad luck fairies that easy to fool? Do they not bother to count the floors for themselves?

Very strange.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#51  Postby BlackBart » Jan 16, 2017 9:58 am

It's only the cardinal 13 that is unlucky. For some reason the ordinal 13 is fiiiine. :dunno:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#52  Postby OlivierK » Jan 16, 2017 11:16 am

We're now splitting our time between two houses. One - a city house near our kids' schools - is at number 13 (which we moved into a few days ago on Friday the 13th), and the other (our farm) has 13 as part of its house number. We seem to be doing fine.:roll:
OlivierK

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#53  Postby solazy » Jan 16, 2017 2:56 pm

Weaver wrote:There is no power inherent to numbers.

You're quite right.
And do away with the constants, I say, and see where we get.

Martin Rees, in his book Just Six Numbers, mulls over the following six dimensionless constants, whose values he deems fundamental to present-day physical theory and the known structure of the universe:
N ≈ 1036: the ratio of the fine structure constant (the dimensionless coupling constant for electromagnetism) to the gravitational coupling constant. N governs the relative importance of gravity and electrostatic attraction/repulsion in explaining the properties of baryonic matter.
ε ≈ 0.007: The fraction of the mass of four protons that is released as energy when fused into a helium nucleus. ε governs the energy output of stars, and is determined by the coupling constant for the strong force.
Ω ≈ 0.3: the ratio of the actual density of the universe to the critical (minimum) density required for the universe to eventually collapse under its gravity. Ω determines the ultimate fate of the universe. If Ω ≥ 1, the universe will experience a Big Crunch. If Ω < 1, the universe will expand forever.
λ ≈ 0.7: The ratio of the energy density of the universe, due to the cosmological constant, to the critical density of the universe.
Q ≈ 10−5: The energy required to break up and disperse an instance of the largest known structures in the universe, namely a galactic cluster or supercluster, expressed as a fraction of the energy equivalent to the rest mass m of that structure, namely mc2.
D = 3: the number of macroscopic spatial dimensions.
solazy

Name: Steve Wilkes

Print view this post

#54  Postby Weaver » Jan 16, 2017 6:36 pm

solazy wrote:

You're quite right.
And do away with the constants, I say, and see where we get.

Martin Rees, in his book Just Six Numbers, mulls over the following six dimensionless constants, whose values he deems fundamental to present-day physical theory and the known structure of the universe:
N ≈ 1036: the ratio of the fine structure constant (the dimensionless coupling constant for electromagnetism) to the gravitational coupling constant. N governs the relative importance of gravity and electrostatic attraction/repulsion in explaining the properties of baryonic matter.
ε ≈ 0.007: The fraction of the mass of four protons that is released as energy when fused into a helium nucleus. ε governs the energy output of stars, and is determined by the coupling constant for the strong force.
Ω ≈ 0.3: the ratio of the actual density of the universe to the critical (minimum) density required for the universe to eventually collapse under its gravity. Ω determines the ultimate fate of the universe. If Ω ≥ 1, the universe will experience a Big Crunch. If Ω < 1, the universe will expand forever.
λ ≈ 0.7: The ratio of the energy density of the universe, due to the cosmological constant, to the critical density of the universe.
Q ≈ 10−5: The energy required to break up and disperse an instance of the largest known structures in the universe, namely a galactic cluster or supercluster, expressed as a fraction of the energy equivalent to the rest mass m of that structure, namely mc2.
D = 3: the number of macroscopic spatial dimensions.

Nowhere. Nowhere is where we get when we engage in idiocy, random number comparisons and numerology.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#55  Postby tolman » Jan 17, 2017 1:16 am

solazy wrote:Apollo 13 was launched at 13:13.
Coincidence, of course. But it added to the myth and to the awareness of the power of numbers.

13:13 CST, but as far as I can see, where it was launched from doesn't appear to be in the CST time zone.

Any single point-of-time event is going to have happened at 13:something in some time zone, and ~1.67% of events are going to have happened at 13:13 in some time zone.
Last edited by tolman on Jan 17, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't do sarcasm smileys, but someone as bright as you has probably figured that out already.
tolman

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby Weaver » Jan 17, 2017 1:52 am

Yeah, the launch site was in Florida (as all of our manned spaceflights have been) in the Eastern time zone - but Mission Control was in Houston Texas.

Because LBJ's support was needed to get NASA going in the early days, and he loved nothing more than some pork barrel spending for Texas. So the flights were controlled from the Cape until the spacecraft cleared the tower, then control was shifted to Houston.

Stupid arrangement.
Retired AiF

Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jan 17, 2017 2:31 am

I don't think there's a gate 13 at SEATAC. That made me laugh. Might have been Oakland or LAX. I've been to way too many airports lately. Pretty sure it was SEATAC.
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: a certain type of girl
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#58  Postby crank » Jan 17, 2017 2:47 am

And yet, merely writing them a little smaller and a little higher makes them very powerful indeed.

1313 is 302875106592253. Sadly, I'd bet my life you won't find any building floors, house numbers, etc. with that number either. Amazing isn't it, the power of superstitions?
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#59  Postby laklak » Jan 17, 2017 4:04 am

Superstition can be useful. When I lived in Nigeria my house was broken into twice in one week. I went to the local ju-ju man and bought a bewitched broom, and hung it over the front door. If anyone broke in the broom would fly down and beat them. Never had another break in, and when I moved house I took the broom with me. No break ins there either.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#60  Postby Thommo » Jan 17, 2017 4:09 am

laklak wrote:Superstition can be useful. When I lived in Nigeria my house was broken into twice in one week. I went to the local ju-ju man and bought a bewitched broom, and hung it over the front door. If anyone broke in the broom would fly down and beat them. Never had another break in, and when I moved house I took the broom with me. No break ins there either.

That's either superstition or a protection racket.
Thommo

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Pseudoscience