The problems in the scientific community

How reliable is science?

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: The problems in the scientific community

#61  Postby Sendraks » Feb 10, 2019 9:20 pm

How reliable is science?

Apparently it's very fucking reliable until the sort of people asking this kind of question decide it's not, even though they're asking the question on the fucking internet.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby bogdan9310 » Feb 16, 2019 6:08 pm

Sendraks wrote:How reliable is science?

Apparently it's very fucking reliable until the sort of people asking this kind of question decide it's not, even though they're asking the question on the fucking internet.

And there are people like you, who believe science has empirical evidence without being able to provide them. Nothing is perfect, science included.
I think philosophy has the last word in science and every other field. sciences like sociology were founded by philosophers, even the scientific method is founded by philosophers.
bogdan9310

Name: Bogdan Bacosca
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Macdoc » Feb 16, 2019 6:17 pm

even the scientific method is founded by philosophers.

Evidence??
....also..show us an aircraft designed and built by a philobabbler such as yourself :popcorn: :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#64  Postby romansh » Feb 16, 2019 6:21 pm

bogdan9310 wrote:And there are people like you, who believe science has empirical evidence without being able to provide them. Nothing is perfect, science included.
I think philosophy has the last word in science and every other field. sciences like sociology were founded by philosophers, even the scientific method is founded by philosophers.

Personally I would not separate science from philosophy. Science is definitely a branch of philosophy, at least in how I arrange the world.

But if have an idea and I want to find out how representative of reality that idea is, I would use the scientific method.

How do you test your ideas Bogdan? By thinking about them?
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#65  Postby Fenrir » Feb 17, 2019 3:16 am

I just find it hilarious that someone can declare with a straight face that science is unverifiable while using wifi (probably) to stream messages from a computer to a router and from there to the internet for us all to eventually see.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#66  Postby newolder » Feb 17, 2019 8:27 am

bogdan9310 wrote:...
I think philosophy has the last word in science and every other field. ...

The idea that a philosopher would think the notion of "the last word" has any merit, at any time, anywhere in the universe is the funniest I've read in simply ages. :rofl: :lol: :rofl:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#67  Postby Alan C » Feb 18, 2019 2:42 am

Does philosophy allow you to fly to the moon? How about into buildings?
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby bogdan9310 » Feb 18, 2019 5:18 pm

Macdoc wrote:

Evidence??
....also..show us an aircraft designed and built by a philobabbler such as yourself :popcorn: :coffee:

"The scientific method was pioneered by three philosophers: René Descartes, Francis Bacon, and Galileo Galilei." Look into what they did.
bogdan9310

Name: Bogdan Bacosca
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#69  Postby felltoearth » Feb 18, 2019 7:46 pm

To say that scientists working today are philosophers in the same sense as Galileo would be disingenuous if you are claiming that you know anything about science as it has been practiced for at least the last 200 years. The meaning of the word "Philosophy" is different today than what it meant in the 16 and 17th C. The split started around Galileo's time and what I would call "modes of inquiry" started to diverge between philosophical and scientific inquiry.

bogdan9310 wrote:
Macdoc wrote:

Evidence??

"The scientific method was pioneered by three philosophers: René Descartes, Francis Bacon, and Galileo Galilei." Look into what they did.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Pseudoscience