There's money in Mosquitoes

Ultrasound mosquito repellents: Zapping the myth

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

There's money in Mosquitoes

#1  Postby trubble76 » Dec 12, 2012 2:59 pm

One of the world's top advertising awards went this year to a campaign in which a radio station broadcast ultrasound along with its programmes to repel mosquitoes. But does it work? Definitely not, say scientists.

It was a beautifully simple idea. No more need for smelly lotions, chemical gases, smoke or rolled-up newspapers, listeners to Brazilian station Band FM were told - all you need to do to beat mosquitoes is to stick close to the radio.

The station broadcast a high-frequency 15kHz tone under its music in April this year. Inaudible to most adults, the tone was supposed to repel mosquitoes, allowing listeners to relax in the open air without fear of getting bitten.

The broadcasts were sponsored by the magazine GoOutside, as part of a radio marketing campaign which went on to win the Grand Prix in the radio category at the Cannes Lions in June - perhaps the most prestigious awards in advertising.

There's just one problem. Scientists say it's nonsense.

Continues here.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: There's money in Mosquitoes

#2  Postby The_Metatron » Dec 12, 2012 3:10 pm

In an area where any mosquito-borne diseases exist, it should be criminally negligent.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby laklak » Dec 12, 2012 3:26 pm

People here buy ultrasound insect repellant thingys for their houses, they don't do a bleeding thing except annoy the dogs. Mosquito traps work, but they're expensive (around $1000 fully kitted with CO2 cylinder), and DEET based repellant works. That's about it, other than "manual control", meaning squish the little fuckers.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Scot Dutchy » Dec 12, 2012 3:35 pm

laklak wrote:People here buy ultrasound insect repellant thingys for their houses, they don't do a bleeding thing except annoy the dogs. Mosquito traps work, but they're expensive (around $1000 fully kitted with CO2 cylinder), and DEET based repellant works. That's about it, other than "manual control", meaning squish the little fuckers.

If you lowered the tone you can use them against kids hanging around. :lol:
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby mindhack » Jan 16, 2013 11:06 pm

Or we could try and buy an anti mosquito laser defense system.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSIWpFPkYrk[/youtube]
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#6  Postby quas » Jan 25, 2013 6:09 am

laklak wrote:People here buy ultrasound insect repellant thingys for their houses, they don't do a bleeding thing except annoy the dogs.

I tried an ultrasound mosquito-repellent thing on dogs once, they seemed unaffected by it. It seems like there's no standard to these things. Each device emits a different frequency, because no one really knows which frequency actually repels mosquitoes.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#7  Postby Fenrir » Jan 25, 2013 6:17 am

quas wrote:
laklak wrote:People here buy ultrasound insect repellant thingys for their houses, they don't do a bleeding thing except annoy the dogs.

I tried an ultrasound mosquito-repellent thing on dogs once, they seemed unaffected by it. It seems like there's no standard to these things. Each device emits a different frequency, because no one really knows which frequency actually repels mosquitoes.

or if any do.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 25, 2013 10:33 am

I have an ultra sound humidifier which does work but that has nothing to do with mosquitoes.

It produces cold steam!

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Galactor » Jan 25, 2013 10:38 am

I was gifted a solar-powered ultrasound mosquito repellent some 15 years ago. It would power up during the day and emit a sound which was just perceptible.

Dutch mosquitoes seemed rather attracted to its siren sound.

They feasted on me.
Galactor

Name: Graeme
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#10  Postby DoctorE » Jan 25, 2013 10:40 am

DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#11  Postby zulumoose » Jan 25, 2013 10:52 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:I have an ultra sound humidifier which does work but that has nothing to do with mosquitoes.

It produces cold steam!

AKA mist?
zulumoose

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Scot Dutchy » Jan 25, 2013 10:56 am

zulumoose wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I have an ultra sound humidifier which does work but that has nothing to do with mosquitoes.

It produces cold steam!

AKA mist?

Yep. It is odd. Steaming away and just cold steam all thanks to ultra sound.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Calilasseia » Mar 20, 2013 6:00 pm

Oh, look. A scientific paper.

Responses Of Mosquitoes And German Cockroaches To Ultrasound Emitted From A Random Ultrasonic Generating Device by Aqeel Ahmad, Bhadriraju Subramanyam & Ludek Zurek, Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 123: 25-33 (2007) [Full paper downloadable via the above link].

Ahmad et al, 2007 wrote:

Abstract. The repellency of ultrasound to females of two species of mosquitoes, Anopheles quadrimaculatus Say and Anopheles gambiae Giles (Diptera: Culicidae), and male and female German cockroaches, Blattella germanica (L.) (Blattodea: Blattellidae), was evaluated under laboratory conditions using a random ultrasonic device developed at Kansas State University. This device produces ultrasound in the 20–100 kHz frequency range and random sound patterns at any frequency range. Under the particular settings described in the paper, this ultrasonic device produced sound pressure levels from 91 to 101, 91 to 102, and 90 to 100 dB at the top, bottom, and side panels of the test chamber, respectively (0 dB = 20 micropascals). Sound pressure levels recorded at the center of the top, bottom, and side panels were higher than those recorded at the panel edges. Ultrasound from the random ultrasonic device failed to repel mosquitoes and German cockroaches at the different frequency ranges evaluated. Our results confirm previous findings with commercial devices producing constant sound patterns that ultrasound in general is not a promising tool for repelling mosquitoes and cockroaches.

Another relevant paper is this one:

Acoustic Methods Of Monitoring And Manipulating Insect Pests And Their Natural Enemies by Thomas J Walker, from
Pest management in the subtropics: integrated pest management - a Florida perspective, 1996 pp. 245-257 (ISBN
0-946707-63-4) [Full paper downloadable from here]

That paper is pretty revealing with respect to the problems involved in using sound as a means of affecting insect behaviour.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Weaver » Mar 20, 2013 10:52 pm

I prefer the Australian solution:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKlkD-D20OI[/youtube]
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver