Unbelievable Mathematics

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: Calilasseia, DarthHelmet86, Onyx8

Re: Unbelievable Mathematics

#81  Postby THWOTH » Jun 02, 2010 9:10 am

. :rofl:

Image Image Image Image Image
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#82  Postby Mitts » Jun 02, 2010 11:46 am

:lol:

Nice.
All religions are based on the same ridiculous imagination, that make man a weak, imbecile animal; a furious bigot and fanatic or a miserable hypocrite. Robert Owen

I used to be catholic but I'm better now. Torchwood: Miracle Day
Mitts

Name: Marcus Mittens
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#83  Postby Jbags » Jun 09, 2010 7:28 am

I consider myself mathematically literate, I did an Economics degree that required me to take statistics and pure maths to a university level; I enjoy mathematical games and calculations, and sometimes entertain myself when bored by undertaking very approximate general arithmatic ("if I assume the world is a perfect sphere, and my eye heigh is exactly 2 metres, how far away is the horizon?" or "if I could perfectly release and harness all the energy stored as mass in this 200g apple, how long could I run my computer for with a 500w power supply?" etc etc).

So I enjoy maths.

So I came to this thread.

At first reading the first page I was a little confused by exactly what was going on... and having read the subsequent 5 pages, I'm very very confused.

Could anyone give me a hand here? What's the objective here? I have no idea where this thread came from so I lack context, and am completely baffled by reading this thread's contents. But I am interested and would like to know. Who can help?
白杰
Jbags

Name: James
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Rumraket » Jun 09, 2010 8:20 am

Jbags wrote:I consider myself mathematically literate, I did an Economics degree that required me to take statistics and pure maths to a university level; I enjoy mathematical games and calculations, and sometimes entertain myself when bored by undertaking very approximate general arithmatic ("if I assume the world is a perfect sphere, and my eye heigh is exactly 2 metres, how far away is the horizon?" or "if I could perfectly release and harness all the energy stored as mass in this 200g apple, how long could I run my computer for with a 500w power supply?" etc etc).

So I enjoy maths.

So I came to this thread.

At first reading the first page I was a little confused by exactly what was going on... and having read the subsequent 5 pages, I'm very very confused.

Could anyone give me a hand here? What's the objective here? I have no idea where this thread came from so I lack context, and am completely baffled by reading this thread's contents. But I am interested and would like to know. Who can help?

Basically, the Op thinks that, since the numbers in his birthday seems to correlate with the dates in a number of historical events, and some numbers mentioned in the bible or other historical religious texts, he thinks he is the antichrist and seriously considers taking his own life because of "the incredible coincidence" in the numbers. I also got the impression that the op thinks a series of numbers by some coincidental similarity or correlation, has convinced him that he can prove that extremely powerful aliens, or some entity of sorts, formed our solarsystem with the intention of creating life on earth and human beings.
I think this about sums it up. Of course, people have been trying to tell him that they are just numbers and that he should seek proffesional psychiatric help.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

#85  Postby Jbags » Jun 10, 2010 2:38 am

...right. I'll go back to my scribbling on the back on an envelope. Thanks for the info.
白杰
Jbags

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#86  Postby Someone » Jul 09, 2010 8:02 am

Rumkaret dishonestly represents what I've said and needs a sound thrashing.
Proper name: Toon Pine M Brown ---- AM I A WOMAN or working intimately on medical ethics?! No Period, No Say About Certain Things. Is my social philosophy. Everyone has a Hell here, so why add one to the mix if you don't need?
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Rumraket » Jul 09, 2010 8:21 am

Well you go ahead and thrash all you want. Perhaps you should start detailing exactly what all this number-wibble of yours is supposed to tell us. What's the big picture?
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#88  Postby THWOTH » Jul 10, 2010 11:58 am

Rumraket wrote:Well you go ahead and thrash all you want. Perhaps you should start detailing exactly what all this number-wibble of yours is supposed to tell us. What's the big picture?

You won't believe it...
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#89  Postby Mitts » Jul 10, 2010 9:53 pm

Relax. Pay your income tax.

17 X 8 = ?
All religions are based on the same ridiculous imagination, that make man a weak, imbecile animal; a furious bigot and fanatic or a miserable hypocrite. Robert Owen

Mitts

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#90  Postby THWOTH » Jul 10, 2010 10:00 pm

42? :dunno:
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#91  Postby Mitts » Jul 10, 2010 10:01 pm

Wow.

Yes.

The answer to life, the universe and everything.

That's deep man.

Mitts

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#92  Postby Mitts » Aug 15, 2010 2:44 pm

Have the numbers caught up with 'Someone' and he's met his destiny or has he finally disappeared up his own...

:dance:

Mitts

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#93  Postby THWOTH » Aug 15, 2010 3:12 pm

I still don't believe it.
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#94  Postby Mitts » Aug 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Not sure I do either.

Mitts

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Occam's Laser » Aug 16, 2010 2:56 pm

As I was quoted as saying in the first post in this thread:

"I am a mathematician, and I can verify that nothing you've said here makes any sense at all."
Occam's Laser

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#96  Postby Someone » Nov 08, 2010 11:34 am

I feel I may have done a poor job of relating the mathematical coincidences I claim by not laying them out as a clear, simple list and by trying to relate the most peculiar part before readers had a real opportunity to appreciate the relatively mundane parts. Here are the new coincidences observed since I last posted on the subject [only the first is my research]:
1) The prime before 2357 (the concatenation of the first 4 primes in order), 2351, is the first prime for which 3 smaller distinct primes can be found such that as many as 17 of the 24 concatenations of the 4 primes are themselves prime, with the additional coincidence that the preceding prime, 2347, is the last to achieve the highwater mark of 16.
2) The primes such that the average prime gap up to them is integral have a few coincidental features (See the list at the Prime Puzzio page of the Prime Curios website).
3) The numbers of digits of the larger numbers in the continued fraction expansion of 0.12345678910111213... are numbers with a lot of 1s and only strung together (See the article on Chapernowne's constant at Mathworld).
4) As noted in a previous post, the second number in the sequence 1, 21, 321, ... which is prime is probably the 37765th term of 177719 digits. The glaringly obvious feature of this is the string of three 7s, but there is a bit more. In fact, although Mr. Weisstein is highly respected I wonder if fraud is possible (a tiny bit) because of how nice this example is. The further features of this example that I teased out as coincidental come from the fact that when one removes the 7s from 37765 we are left with the number that has most concerned us here. Now look at how 37765 is the concatenation of 3, 77, and 65. The first 8 primes are 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, so if one considers the fact that this is supposed to be the second number of its kind (after the prime 82818079...321), we get all of the first eight primes naturally and easily from taking the factors of the three numbers that result from splitting the digits this way and noting the beginning and ending of 177719.
Proper name: Toon Pine M Brown ---- AM I A WOMAN or working intimately on medical ethics?! No Period, No Say About Certain Things. Is my social philosophy. Everyone has a Hell here, so why add one to the mix if you don't need?
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

#97  Postby Occam's Laser » Nov 08, 2010 3:44 pm

So what? "Therefore, God exists?" Good luck with that.
Occam's Laser

Male

Print view this post

#98  Postby THWOTH » Nov 08, 2010 3:59 pm

Why is this significant Someone?
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#99  Postby palindnilap » Nov 08, 2010 4:02 pm

Occam's Laser wrote:So what? "Therefore, God exists?" Good luck with that.

It makes abundantly clear that God created the digital base 10.
palindnilap
RS Donator

Male

Switzerland (ch)
Print view this post

#100  Postby Someone » Nov 09, 2010 5:14 pm

palindnilap wrote:
Occam's Laser wrote:So what? "Therefore, God exists?" Good luck with that.

It makes abundantly clear that God created the digital base 10.

Actually, that's not far off from the truth. Clearly, though, from a mathematical perspective, nobody created the base 10. It would be fair to say that if we define 'God' accurately, then God chose the base ten to relate this part of our reality to us. My estimation of the accurate definition of 'God' is far off from any generally accepted definition; but the confounding nature of the power of whatever entity is responsible for externally manipulating events in our world--plus a desire to be diplomatic toward all people--leads me to argue that if it seems to be a dodo bird, then if we don't know a better word for it call it a dodo for now, but remind people that the real dodo is almost certainly nowhere to be found.
Someone
Banned User

Morocco (ma)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Pseudoscience