1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

about females like Freud

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#161  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 28, 2017 1:47 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:When people behave badly it's usually because they're suffering....my mummy taught me that : )

Sometimes, but sometimes they're just acting badly because they don't know any better.

I think that's a highly unlikely hypothesis in this instance given what I know about jamest....he's not exactly 13 you know.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 38

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#162  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 28, 2017 1:52 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:When people behave badly it's usually because they're suffering....my mummy taught me that : )

Sometimes, but sometimes they're just acting badly because they don't know any better.

I think that's a highly unlikely hypothesis in this instance given what I know about jamest....he's not exactly 13 you know.

jamest likes to parade his ignorance for everyone to see, all you have to do is read his contributions to pretty much any science thread. Either he's trolling (which I don't think he is, WAY too earnest with no apparent sense of how embarrassing his rants are) or he doesn't know any better. Adults are also capable of lacking self-awareness. I do think that it might occasionally dawn on him, which is why he usually disappears for awhile after a blowout like the one above, which is probably painful. But you know, it's like someone stepping on a rake over and over, eventually you start to run out of sympathy.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14116
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#163  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 28, 2017 1:56 pm

Fallible wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:But catharsis is ineffective Fallible, as well you should know.


It's effective short-term. There's not much point in defending myself against someone who has such an outdated picture of my position and motivation in his head, derived from fuck knows where. It's just very frustrating to have to countenance such a gross butchering of the thing I live every day, and I do find myself reflexively wanting to set the record straight. Almost exactly 24 hours ago, I was sitting with someone who has spent decades pushing absolutely everyone away and constructing a literal wall around himself out of piles of rubbish in his house so he can't reach his own sink, as he told me things he had never told a living soul before, and wet stuff came out of my eyes, which, dammit, I think he saw. Now I'm here, being portrayed as a cold, uncaring, cynical ideologue. Nowt so queer as folks, eh. Fuck it, it's not a job, it's a privilege...never mind.


Almost exactly 24 hours ago wet stuff came out of my eyes too until my neighbour said "you're a man!" and then I stopped (round his flat covered in blood at the time). I'm sure you do your (currently impossibly difficult imo) job to the best of your ability. And not for the money/status (overwhelmingly primarily) but because you refuse to give up and not give a fuck (so very tempting sometimes) like me. Jamest makes some valid points though still, as always imo, and he's right in that psychotherapy/psychiatry/psychology/sociology is peppered with deep/fundamental gaps in knowledge/technique atm. Wouldn't you say?
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 38

Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#164  Postby Fallible » Oct 28, 2017 2:13 pm

I would say, yes, and I haven't said it isn't. Added to that, mental health provision in this country is woeful, a patchwork of badly funded, jury-rigged, fire-fighting style services. It therefore baffles me that I am being portrayed as someone who defends the NHS at all costs, just because I find the physical health care side of the operation to have helped me and my family immensely and say so. It's true, I do work for the NHS, one day a week, voluntarily, in a cancer ward. The rest of the time I work for a private practice. I do get paid there - although the patients don't pay - providing a service which is unavailable on the NHS, and as far as I am able, using methods with research behind them, although sometimes the best I can do is to provide a space for people to emote. I'm more aware of the gaps than most. That doesn't mean the whole arena of psychology is without merit, and one would be better off following the advice of a stranger on the internet with enough undemonstrated faith in his own abilities to fell a rhino. You know what they say about self-recommendation.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51350
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#165  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 28, 2017 2:55 pm

I think one of the main problems holding psychology back is the absence of governmental/authoritative guidance on one's central existential perspective (ie atheism/religion/afterlife/ghosts/psychics etc) etc. It's like we need that foundation before we can tackle everything else with any confidence/unity...perhaps.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 38

Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#166  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 28, 2017 3:03 pm

You referenced Donnie Darko in the player hating thread - remember the scene where Donnie is asking his science teacher about time travel and following god's channel - and the teacher says "I'm sorry I'm going to have to end this conversation because I could lose my job." We're still in that situation innit.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 38

Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#167  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Should people really be free to believe what they want if the result is a violent, lonely, drug riddled, dysfunctional community? I think not.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 38

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#168  Postby Fallible » Oct 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I think one of the main problems holding psychology back is the absence of governmental/authoritative guidance on one's central existential perspective (ie atheism/religion/afterlife/ghosts/psychics etc) etc. It's like we need that foundation before we can tackle everything else with any confidence/unity...perhaps.


I think it's that when you are dealing with an area where it is not always possible to employ the scientific method, it's difficult to show efficacy. We can show areas of the brain lighting up on a brain scan. We can't show how or why someone feels 'better' after a certain intervention in the same way. All we have to go on is self-reporting of reactions to interventions of variable quality and content which often take place in private. Nightmare.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51350
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#169  Postby Fallible » Oct 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Keep It Real wrote:You referenced Donnie Darko in the player hating thread - remember the scene where Donnie is asking his science teacher about time travel and following god's channel - and the teacher says "I'm sorry I'm going to have to end this conversation because I could lose my job." We're still in that situation innit.


I always assumed that he says that because there is separation of church and state in the US, so you can't do God talk at school.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51350
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#170  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 28, 2017 3:12 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Should people really be free to believe what they want if the result is a violent, lonely, drug riddled, dysfunctional community? I think not.

The other option is forcing people to believe something else. I'd rather have the option of taking some personal responsibility.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14116
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#171  Postby Fallible » Oct 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Should people really be free to believe what they want if the result is a violent, lonely, drug riddled, dysfunctional community? I think not.


If. If said society is the result of people not being free to believe what they want, then what?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51350
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#172  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 28, 2017 3:37 pm

Fallible wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Should people really be free to believe what they want if the result is a violent, lonely, drug riddled, dysfunctional community? I think not.


If. If said society is the result of people not being free to believe what they want, then what?


But the societies I'm referring to (UK/US mainly for now) do not provide authoritative unified guidance on the central existential perspective...didn't I read that Trump said the other day that heroin is a national emergency? It's the same in my neighbourhood. It occurs to me now that the soul (as perceived by the religious) is in competition with the ego...as in that ineffable component of human psychology which pulls most of the strings....as long as the concept of the soul is given credence the problem of the ego cannot be authoritatively tackled for the population. When I say ego I'm not talking about that component of the Freudian model of personality of course; I mean basically self-esteem. Also the problem of free will cannot be resolved until religion is gone from authoritative advocacy. Same goes for the "terror of hell" problem which cause soooooooo much pain and mental illness in my experience. Love/sexual competition cannot be investigated either...if only the cathedrals weren't so beautiful I could think of an immediate technique hehehe naughty naughty :nono:
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 38

Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#173  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 28, 2017 3:41 pm

Fallible wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:You referenced Donnie Darko in the player hating thread - remember the scene where Donnie is asking his science teacher about time travel and following god's channel - and the teacher says "I'm sorry I'm going to have to end this conversation because I could lose my job." We're still in that situation innit.


I always assumed that he says that because there is separation of church and state in the US, so you can't do God talk at school.

You think teachers in the UK are allowed to express a definitive opinion about the central existential perspective to their pupils? I seriously doubt it.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 38

Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#174  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 28, 2017 3:52 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Should people really be free to believe what they want if the result is a violent, lonely, drug riddled, dysfunctional community? I think not.

The other option is forcing people to believe something else. I'd rather have the option of taking some personal responsibility.

Forcing...I wouldn't use that word...more like informing...we've gotta hold people responsible for their actions in order to provide incentive/deterrent for many but surely you msut know our thoughts/actions are determined purely by biological/environmental factors beyond our control so free will and the resulting personal responsibility are a myth...You see? we still argue about these issues!

Image
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 38

Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#175  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Should people really be free to believe what they want if the result is a violent, lonely, drug riddled, dysfunctional community? I think not.

The other option is forcing people to believe something else. I'd rather have the option of taking some personal responsibility.

Forcing...I wouldn't use that word...more like informing...

It's no mystery to me why you'd want to spin it that way. You can inform people all you want, but unless they're free to believe what they want, you're forcing them. That's just a fact.

we've gotta hold people responsible for their actions in order to provide incentive/deterrent for many but surely you msut know our thoughts/actions are determined purely by biological/environmental factors beyond our control so free will and the resulting personal responsibility are a myth...

I don't know why you'd think I'd surely know something that observably isn't so. I'm not a potted plant. You may want to throw your hands up in the air and say "Well I'm just a potted plant, I've got no self control at all!", but I find that to be a pretty lame excuse to justify continued bad behavior. There are undoubtedly biological and environmental factors that shape and influence behavior, but when all is said and done you are the one ultimately responsible for the choices you make.

You see? we still argue about I still assert these issues!

FIFY
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
User avatar
SafeAsMilk
 
Name: Makes Fails
Posts: 14116
Age: 40
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#176  Postby Fallible » Oct 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
Fallible wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:You referenced Donnie Darko in the player hating thread - remember the scene where Donnie is asking his science teacher about time travel and following god's channel - and the teacher says "I'm sorry I'm going to have to end this conversation because I could lose my job." We're still in that situation innit.


I always assumed that he says that because there is separation of church and state in the US, so you can't do God talk at school.

You think teachers in the UK are allowed to express a definitive opinion about the central existential perspective to their pupils? I seriously doubt it.


I don't just think it, I know it.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51350
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#177  Postby DavidMcC » Oct 28, 2017 5:22 pm

Keep It Real wrote:...
Forcing...I wouldn't use that word...more like informing...we've gotta hold people responsible for their actions in order to provide incentive/deterrent for many but surely you msut know our thoughts/actions are determined purely by biological/environmental factors beyond our control so free will and the resulting personal responsibility are a myth...You see? we still argue about these issues!
...

Purely?? So you don't think your mind has any say in the matter?
This is "no free will" (circular argument version). :roll:
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 66
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#178  Postby Keep It Real » Oct 28, 2017 6:35 pm

Our brains are the consequence of genetic/environmental factors beyond our control. What am "I"? Just a thoughtless spark of perceptual consciousness at the end of the day, experiencing what my brain tells it.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
User avatar
Keep It Real
Suspended User
THREAD STARTER
 
Posts: 9171
Age: 38

Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#179  Postby Fallible » Oct 28, 2017 6:37 pm

Haven't we done this already?
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 51350
Age: 47
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: 1 bird each? But it's boring...don't know

#180  Postby DavidMcC » Oct 28, 2017 6:40 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Our brains are the consequence of genetic/environmental factors beyond our control. What am "I"? Just a thoughtless spark of perceptual consciousness at the end of the day, experiencing what my brain tells it.

:roll:
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14913
Age: 66
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest