Addiction is Not a Disease

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Addiction is Not a Disease

#1  Postby prschuster » May 27, 2010 11:40 pm

Addiction medicine is one of the most pervasive scams in medicine today which, unlike alternative treatments, is fully incorporated into the mainstream. I won't touch on controversies about 12-step recovery here, but I do want to comment on the disease model of addiction, which is closely associated with 12-step methods. Both NCADD and ASAM have have put forth a definition of alcoholism which states:
"Alcoholism is a primary disease with genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing its development and manifestations. The disease is often progressive and fatal. It is characterized by continuous or periodic: impaired control over drinking, preoccupation with the drug alcohol, use of alcohol despite adverse consequences, and distortions in thinking, most notably denial."

It sounds like a legitimate set of physical and psychological criteria at first glance, but as one who has learned to abstain from alcohol without any so called "recovery program", I see no validity to this medical model. First of all, two terms are of special significance here. The first is "disease" which they define as "an involuntary disability". This is important to note. I will grant that once an alcoholic takes the first drink it is virtually impossible to be sure that moderation can be maintained. But this is common sense and doesn't require the disease model to explain. Alcohol pollutes your brain and no one can make rational decision when under the influence. Some people are more severely affected by this intoxication and ought to quit drinking altogether. This so called disease is no more than a temporary intoxication caused by the substance itself and hardly counts as a progressive chronic medical condition in itself.

The second term is "denial" which is said to "reduce awareness of the fact that alcohol use is the cause of an individual's
problems rather than a solution to those problems". No lie. This is what we commonly call rationalizing, or more to the point, lying to yourself. Now why would the act of drinking alcoholically and then rationalizing your bad compulsive habit, be called a disease? It would be safe to say that voluntary behavior in itself would not be considered a disease unless you make a case that one acts out of some state of delusion or else is so compelled that they have lost all rational thought processes. Paranoid schizophrenia may be an example of the former, and blind rage may be an example of the latter. I don't think alcoholism fits either of those, especially since I can cite my own experiences with alcohol for reference. The out of control behavior and compulsive use of alcohol becomes beyond one's control only when a person is already under the influence - not before. So this disease is no more than a temporary, alcohol induced state.

But wait... I'm not done yet. The whole disease theory of alcoholism and addiction really rests on the assumption that it is a "brain disease" with a consequent "thought disorder". This model would never hold up without some claim that altered brain chemistry or irreversible neural connections, resulting from use, make the alcoholic/addict forever changed in some fundamental way which can never be undone, but only maintained. Hence the notion of a disease which is never cured but only relieved by remissions. This sets the stage for a lifetime of rehabilitation which is supposed to be followed in order to prevent "relapse". It's very convenient for the recovery industry that the disease model helps to provide the rationale for endless treament. I find this all very disturbing that I am expected to go through the rest of my life acting as if I had a biochemically induced thought disorder which required constant monitoring. This is just too Orwellian for me to swallow.
prschuster

Name: Philip Schuster

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Addiction is Not a Disease

#2  Postby FACT-MAN-2 » May 28, 2010 3:14 am

prschuster wrote:Addiction medicine is one of the most pervasive scams in medicine today which, unlike alternative treatments, is fully incorporated into the mainstream. I won't touch on controversies about 12-step recovery here, but I do want to comment on the disease model of addiction, which is closely associated with 12-step methods. Both NCADD and ASAM have have put forth a definition of alcoholism which states:
"Alcoholism is a primary disease with genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing its development and manifestations. The disease is often progressive and fatal. It is characterized by continuous or periodic: impaired control over drinking, preoccupation with the drug alcohol, use of alcohol despite adverse consequences, and distortions in thinking, most notably denial."

It sounds like a legitimate set of physical and psychological criteria at first glance, but as one who has learned to abstain from alcohol without any so called "recovery program", I see no validity to this medical model. First of all, two terms are of special significance here. The first is "disease" which they define as "an involuntary disability". This is important to note. I will grant that once an alcoholic takes the first drink it is virtually impossible to be sure that moderation can be maintained. But this is common sense and doesn't require the disease model to explain. Alcohol pollutes your brain and no one can make rational decision when under the influence. Some people are more severely affected by this intoxication and ought to quit drinking altogether. This so called disease is no more than a temporary intoxication caused by the substance itself and hardly counts as a progressive chronic medical condition in itself.

The second term is "denial" which is said to "reduce awareness of the fact that alcohol use is the cause of an individual's
problems rather than a solution to those problems". No lie. This is what we commonly call rationalizing, or more to the point, lying to yourself. Now why would the act of drinking alcoholically and then rationalizing your bad compulsive habit, be called a disease? It would be safe to say that voluntary behavior in itself would not be considered a disease unless you make a case that one acts out of some state of delusion or else is so compelled that they have lost all rational thought processes. Paranoid schizophrenia may be an example of the former, and blind rage may be an example of the latter. I don't think alcoholism fits either of those, especially since I can cite my own experiences with alcohol for reference. The out of control behavior and compulsive use of alcohol becomes beyond one's control only when a person is already under the influence - not before. So this disease is no more than a temporary, alcohol induced state.

But wait... I'm not done yet. The whole disease theory of alcoholism and addiction really rests on the assumption that it is a "brain disease" with a consequent "thought disorder". This model would never hold up without some claim that altered brain chemistry or irreversible neural connections, resulting from use, make the alcoholic/addict forever changed in some fundamental way which can never be undone, but only maintained. Hence the notion of a disease which is never cured but only relieved by remissions. This sets the stage for a lifetime of rehabilitation which is supposed to be followed in order to prevent "relapse". It's very convenient for the recovery industry that the disease model helps to provide the rationale for endless treament. I find this all very disturbing that I am expected to go through the rest of my life acting as if I had a biochemically induced thought disorder which required constant monitoring. This is just too Orwellian for me to swallow.

You are missing the psychological angle that drives a person on a vector towards chemical addiction and sustains them there once they are addicted. It's called mood altering. It occurs in persons who's "normal" moods are untenable, which drives them to change them, to alter them. "I'll feel better if I get loaded." And they do. Feel better. For awhile.

The psycho-social milieu is different for different drugs or substances, hence we see meth addicts and heroin addicts and speed addicts come from certain communuties, and alcohol addicts come from other communities. Alcohol is socially acceptabe and legal; the others aren't. An alcoholic can come from any part of town, but likely a meth addict won't come from the wealtheir quarter. Prescription drug addicts are a species all their own, created by big pharma for profit.

It takes ten years of drinking every day to become an alcoholic.

Most drug abusers are predisposed to trash their lives; most drug users are not.

A 35 year-old alcoholic who gets treatment after 15 years of drinking and rids himself of his addiction doesn't need lifelong treatment, he can do that himself. Lifelong treatment is a commercial aspect exploited by those with business interests, it has little to do with the reality. The key to sustaining a non-addictive life is to create a milieu in which one's normal moods are diverse, positive, upbeat and confident and thereby do not need altering. Ex-addicts who create and sustain such a milieu will succeed, those who do not will not, regardless of how much "treatment" they may get.

Whether addiction is a disease or not it has known psycho-social predispositions and community/family antecedents that depict social and economic issues that affect given segments of the population and without addressing them, addiction will be with us.

The potential for addiction is psycho-social and economic; the fact of it is medical on an individual level and social and economic on the broader scale.
Capitalism is obsolete, yet we keep dancing with its corpse.

When will large scale corporate capitalism and government metamorphose to embrace modern thinking and allow us to live sustainably?
FACT-MAN-2

Name: Sean Rooney
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Agrippina » May 28, 2010 3:20 am

bookmarking
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#4  Postby kiki5711 » May 28, 2010 11:19 am

It's a mental thing. In the last year and a half I drank so much to the point that you could call me an alcoholic because I tried to stop but found that at this point in my life I just wasn't strong enough to stop it. Extreme difficult situation in my life gave me even more of an excuse.

I know that I have an addictive personality and it very well may be a desiese, I don't know. I never in my life would EVER say I was an alcoholic because I always felt it was a choice and that if I was intelligent and disciplined enough, it would never become an issue.

Well, I was wrong and it did become an issue and I think the reason why I'm succeptable to it because I have that potential to become an alcoholic. I did go to re-hab, actually not that long ago.

I can't tell you that I don't miss drinking wine, especially with a meal. The problem with me is that I don't stop with one glass. I absolutely see no point in having a half of a glass or just one. More like one bottle is what's satisfying. I mean, what's the purpose in having a drink if you can'y get a nice buzz from it.

My husband is totally different. He can just drink one glass and not give it another thought. Disgusting, isn't it!! :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:
kiki5711

Print view this post

#5  Postby Link » May 28, 2010 11:32 am

Agrippina wrote:bookmarking

ditto :grin:
Link

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby prschuster » May 28, 2010 12:17 pm

Fact-Man-2 wrote:
"You are missing the psychological angle that drives a person on a vector towards chemical addiction and sustains them there once they are addicted. It's called mood altering. It occurs in persons who's "normal" moods are untenable, which drives them to change them, to alter them. "I'll feel better if I get loaded." And they do. Feel better. For awhile."

I'm not missing the psychological angle at all. I know full well how emotional factors play into addiction. I know that from personal experience. I did not mention this aspect of addiction because the medical concept of disease is about pathological manifestations of a physical nature which do more than just predispose or compel a person to do something. A disease is, by definition, involuntary. I chose to drink. It seemed like a good idea at the time... of course, it wasn't. I didn't have a psychosis that made me halucinate or made me delusional, to the point of not knowing what I was doing. I didn't have an involuntary reflex that would make my elbow flex every time someone put a drink in my hand. And yes, drinking was a problem, and it was a compulsive habit which was hard to break. My only argument here is that addiction does not rise to the level os being a disease in the medical sense; yet there is an organization of physicians, the ASAM, mainly made up of recovering addicts, that has defined addiction in medical terms.

Another point I brought up is that the actual practice of substance abuse is a voluntary behavior, and medical science does not deal with behavior issues as such. It's a stretch to do so. That has nothing to do with acknowledging the seriousness of addiction (I almost drank myself to death). The psychological impact of addiction, the compulsive habit of using, and the subsequent organ damage & withdrawal symptoms are all serious in themselves. I am only saying that this so called disease has no medical remedy and cannot be diagnosed by routine medical examination the way real diseases are. The consequences of using may rise to the level of bone fide medical conditions, like the DTs or cirrhosis of the liver, but the case for active behavior being a medical disease is pretty flimsy IMHO.

I am also familiar with talk of brain chemistry and how levels of serotonin, dopamine or GABA play a part. I have also heard of THIQ and changes in neural pathways due to chronic use, not to mention "wet brain". But by that logic, you might as well refer to any abberant self destructive behavior as a disease because frankly all human behavior is mediated by brain chemistry and the building of neural connections. And in fact, there is a dangerous trend to do just that. There are those who would like to define criminal behavior and sex addiction as diseases as well. Why? The common thread holding all these addictive behaviors together is the assumption that the addict is so powerless to change their behavior that they must have some brain disease with a chemical or organic basis. This is the real implication of the disease model, which is too often glossed over by babble about "biopsychosocial" factors. So I'm not minimizing the seriousness of addiction so much as challenging the definition of addiction as a "primary chronic progressive medical disease".
prschuster

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Agrippina » May 28, 2010 12:36 pm

What I find so strange is that when I was young we used to simply call the uncles and aunts who drank too much "drunks" and refuse to invite them to parties because they always started fights, or else we'd invite them to tea and say that there was no alcohol in the house (in the olden days you didn't bring food to someone else's party). Anyway, nowadays everyone has a "disease." In those days even if we said so-so-so was an "alcoholic" everyone else would say that they wouldn't go so far because "he just drinks too much!" or "can't hold his liquor" now you get addictions to everything, if you're a little too fond of chocolate, people tell you that "You're a chocoholic, maybe you need help!" Or maybe we just have too many substances around today that cause people to become addicted to them. But then I don't know. When I was young men walked around with pipes that always burned and inhaled "snuff" and before "drugs" there was cough syrup and of course alcoholic and Turkish cigarettes that smelled funny.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Tbickle » May 28, 2010 12:50 pm

Disease: Illness or sickness often characterized by typical patient problems (symptoms) and physical findings (signs).

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art ... lekey=3011

:coffee:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Holy See (Vatican City State) (va)
Print view this post

#9  Postby tuco » May 28, 2010 1:02 pm

History of Madness - Michel Foucault
tuco

Print view this post

#10  Postby The_Metatron » May 28, 2010 1:12 pm

A lot of this hinges on what we mean by the word disease. In a strict sense, drug use is a choice. In the same strict sense, cancer is not a choice. You can't choose not to have cancer and magically be cured, of course.

The pattern of behavior of drug abuse and its resultant effects certainly can mimic the effects of a disease, to be sure.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Tbickle » May 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Agrippina wrote:What I find so strange is that when I was young we used to simply call the uncles and aunts who drank too much "drunks" and refuse to invite them to parties because they always started fights, or else we'd invite them to tea and say that there was no alcohol in the house (in the olden days you didn't bring food to someone else's party). Anyway, nowadays everyone has a "disease." In those days even if we said so-so-so was an "alcoholic" everyone else would say that they wouldn't go so far because "he just drinks too much!" or "can't hold his liquor" now you get addictions to everything, if you're a little too fond of chocolate, people tell you that "You're a chocoholic, maybe you need help!" Or maybe we just have too many substances around today that cause people to become addicted to them. But then I don't know. When I was young men walked around with pipes that always burned and inhaled "snuff" and before "drugs" there was cough syrup and of course alcoholic and Turkish cigarettes that smelled funny.

I think that the aspect that people are possibly overlooking thus far is that there is not only one type of disease. The definition I listed before is fairly broad because there are so many types and levels of severity that need to be covered. Going by that definition, AIDS is a disease but so is alcoholism. A major difference being that many of the risks associated with alcoholism can be controlled by the actions of the individual, whereas AIDS will take it's course even though the individual can take steps to improve their quality and length of life with some modern medicine.

I think, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Prschuster's real issue seems to be the use of the word disease as an excuse for why someone can't change their behavior to have a positive effect of their condition. If anyone has ever known someone seriously battling an addiction, you can see how it can take over their life and thoroughly destroy it. It's my opinion that to not call it a disease is to underestimate the seriousness of the condition. On the other hand, I think that a distinction needs to be made between those that are controllable or where the symptoms can be mitigated, and the diseases that cannot by the individual actions of the person.

edit: Overlooked until The_Metatron brought it up.
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Print view this post

#12  Postby Animavore » May 28, 2010 1:26 pm

I would hope not.
I'd hate to think of people's need for me in their lives' as a "disease" :?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13  Postby prschuster » May 28, 2010 1:28 pm

This definition of disease (posted by Tbickle) implies a physical organic pathology, which is responsible for the clinical signs & symptoms of disease. Let's look at this closer. Inebriation has definite signs & symptoms ranging from euphoria to a high BAC & loss of motor control.
Withdrawal from alcohol may include the "jitters", DTs, siezures etc. Cirrhosis of the liver can be diagnosed by assessing liver enzymes, detecting bilirubin in the blood & urine, and observing jaundice. Wernicke-Korsikoff syndrome ("wet brain") can be diagnosed by observing general deterioration of mental function along with skew deviation of the eyes. Then there are other conditions like esophageal varices and alcoholic panceatitis. These are the medical conditions associated with long term excessive alcohol intake. If anyone shows these signs & symptoms, they are most likely alcoholic.

Now the real question is whether alcoholism itself is a disease or whether it is a behavior that causes actual diseases. And then there is the possibility that the biochemical makeup or wiring of the brain may predispose a person to alcohol or drug abuse. In either case, the real diseases associated with substance abuse are better described as predispositions to, or complications of, the addiction. So I would describe addiction to alcohol or drugs as a compulsive, but voluntary, behavior which is associated with several medical diseases. The addiction itself does not rise to the level of a disease.
prschuster

United States (us)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Tbickle » May 28, 2010 1:31 pm

prschuster wrote:This definition of disease (posted by Tbickle) implies a physical organic pathology, which is responsible for the clinical signs & symptoms of disease. Let's look at this closer. Inebriation has definite signs & symptoms ranging from euphoria to a high BAC & loss of motor control.
Withdrawal from alcohol may include the "jitters", DTs, siezures etc. Cirrhosis of the liver can be diagnosed by assessing liver enzymes, detecting bilirubin in the blood & urine, and observing jaundice. Wernicke-Korsikoff syndrome ("wet brain") can be diagnosed by observing general deterioration of mental function along with skew deviation of the eyes. Then there are other conditions like esophageal varices and alcoholic panceatitis. These are the medical conditions associated with long term excessive alcohol intake. If anyone shows these signs & symptoms, they are most likely alcoholic.

Now the real question is whether alcoholism itself is a disease or whether it is a behavior that causes actual diseases. And then there is the possibility that the biochemical makeup or wiring of the brain may predispose a person to alcohol or drug abuse. In either case, the real diseases associated with substance abuse are better described as predispositions to, or complications of, the addiction. So I would describe addiction to alcohol or drugs as a compulsive, but voluntary, behavior which is associated with several medical diseases. The addiction itself does not rise to the level of a disease.

Do you consider depression a disease?
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Print view this post

#15  Postby Animavore » May 28, 2010 1:36 pm

I have some problems with addiction as well as compulsive behaviour. The idea of calling it a "disease" seems absurd to me.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#16  Postby prschuster » May 28, 2010 1:56 pm

Tbickle asks if I consider depression a disease. I definitely consider it a mental illness. Whether it can be called a medical condition has to do with whether a particular person is depressed because of an inherited brain chemistry imbalance (serotonin deficeincy) or whether it is just a reaction to one's circumstances in life. Nor being a psychiatrist, I can't comment on anything more specific then this. But the feeling itself is not totally within a person's control. It may actually be a predisposing factor in subsatance abuse, in which case addiction can best be described as an attempt at self medication. I do make a distinction between bona fide medical conditions (normally called diseases), mental illness and addictive behavior. I know in real life people may have a combination of all three at one time which may work together. I just want to be clear about distinguishing between these terms and guard against conflating one with the other. Now for the short answer to your question... I would refer to depression as a mental illness which may or may not be associated with a real medical disease depending on whether it was caused by brain chemistry imbalances.
prschuster

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby FACT-MAN-2 » May 28, 2010 2:08 pm

prschuster wrote:Tbickle asks if I consider depression a disease. I definitely consider it a mental illness. Whether it can be called a medical condition has to do with whether a particular person is depressed because of an inherited brain chemistry imbalance (serotonin deficeincy) or whether it is just a reaction to one's circumstances in life. Nor being a psychiatrist, I can't comment on anything more specific then this. But the feeling itself is not totally within a person's control. It may actually be a predisposing factor in subsatance abuse, in which case addiction can best be described as an attempt at self medication. I do make a distinction between bona fide medical conditions (normally called diseases), mental illness and addictive behavior. I know in real life people may have a combination of all three at one time which may work together. I just want to be clear about distinguishing between these terms and guard against conflating one with the other. Now for the short answer to your question... I would refer to depression as a mental illness which may or may not be associated with a real medical disease depending on whether it was caused by brain chemistry imbalances.

Depression that's sufficiently enduring to have become chronic seems to fall into the idea of suffering a "dis-ease." Whether its cause is organic or psycho-social it requires medical intervention to cure and probably psycho-social action to sustain the cure.
Capitalism is obsolete, yet we keep dancing with its corpse.

When will large scale corporate capitalism and government metamorphose to embrace modern thinking and allow us to live sustainably?
FACT-MAN-2

Name: Sean Rooney
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Tbickle » May 28, 2010 2:22 pm

prschuster wrote:Tbickle asks if I consider depression a disease. I definitely consider it a mental illness. Whether it can be called a medical condition has to do with whether a particular person is depressed because of an inherited brain chemistry imbalance (serotonin deficeincy) or whether it is just a reaction to one's circumstances in life.

I would agree with that as I also believe that there are different degrees of severity in alcohol dependence as well.

Nor being a psychiatrist, I can't comment on anything more specific then this. But the feeling itself is not totally within a person's control. It may actually be a predisposing factor in subsatance abuse, in which case addiction can best be described as an attempt at self medication. I do make a distinction between bona fide medical conditions (normally called diseases), mental illness and addictive behavior. I know in real life people may have a combination of all three at one time which may work together. I just want to be clear about distinguishing between these terms and guard against conflating one with the other. Now for the short answer to your question... I would refer to depression as a mental illness which may or may not be associated with a real medical disease depending on whether it was caused by brain chemistry imbalances.

Okay, but I guess that I question what your qualifications are for what is a disease and what is an illness. It seems that illness may sometimes be used for a condition with a short duration than a disease? If that's the case, do you ever think that someone who was a severe alcoholic could ever not be an alcoholic again? Someone I used to work with, who was an alcoholic but managed to keep their addiction under control, said that you can't unpickle a cucumber and it seems fairly accurate. The disease itself is not the actual drinking, that's just a way in which it manifests and feeds itself.

Again, I think that the real issue is the idea that people don't like others to use the word disease like it is an excuse. Someone is morbidly obese and they claim that whatever they do they can't lose weight because it is a disease yet continue to eat 5,000 calories a day. A smoker doesn't try to quit smoking because it's an disease so why try to fight it? I don't see anything wrong with labeling the cases that meet the definition of a disease as being that, BUT we need to also make it known that (however difficult it may be) that the addiction can be controlled by the actions of the individual with treatment and addressing other issues that may have induced or continue to progress their addiction.

The reason that I asked about depression is because of this statement...

prschuster wrote:Now the real question is whether alcoholism itself is a disease or whether it is a behavior that causes actual diseases.

With this, you could potentially argue that even the most sever cases of depression is not a disease, but only the behavior caused by this is the disease. Would you really classify potential behaviors of depression like cutting, uncontrollable crying, loss of appetite, self-destructive behavior, loss of sleep or oversleeping, of destruction of relationships as being diseases but the depression is not?
-Thomas Paine
Tbickle

Print view this post

#19  Postby prschuster » May 28, 2010 2:58 pm

I have to go to work today so I can't continue this long interesting discussion at the moment, but I am impressed by the thought people put into their repsonses. This issue is complicated and needs to be sorted out. But don't worry. I'll be back. In the meantime I want to describe three different concepts that must not be conflated:
Disease is a medical term that best describes involuntary physical pathologies.
Mental illness is a psychological term which best describes problems with feelings & perceptions.
Addiction is primarily defined by voluntary, compulsive, destructive behavior.
There is no doubt that addictive behavior is usually comlicated by medical conditions and mental illness, so there is a lot of room for confusion and controversy. That's all I have to say for now.
prschuster

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Agrippina » May 28, 2010 3:03 pm

The thing I don't like about the idea of alcoholism as a 'disease' in modern parlance, is the idea that it can be treated with acceptance of a 'higher power.' All the old guys that live around us and who are able to swill 4/5 whiskies in quick succession before driving their cars home would be horrified if someone told them that they needed a higher power to stop them drinking, the higher power is usually their wives who are clutching the keys while steering them to the passenger seat and then allowing them to think that they actually did drive themselves home. I'm always amazed at the amount of whisky an 80 year old guy can drink. :shock:
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience