Am I Dyslexic?

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Am I Dyslexic?

#21  Postby Doubtdispelled » Aug 01, 2013 7:14 pm

pensioner wrote:One of the problems I have is not the spelling so much is I have difficulty in saying the word in the first place. Whats that about?

Are you talking about ordinary words or long ones, Pen? I suspect you mean long ones. The answer is here..

http://lincs.ed.gov/lincs/discussions/l ... itive.html
“If information (letters, sounds, and words) is being supplied to working memory too slowly (or in a degraded form) due to phonological processing deficits and/or processing speed deficits, there is some chance that the first letters/sounds or words to arrive in working memory have begun to fade by the time the last letters in that sequence have arrived.”

And it's not at all unusual, so you're not alone.

:hug:
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby pensioner » Aug 01, 2013 7:22 pm

Doubtdispelled wrote:
pensioner wrote:One of the problems I have is not the spelling so much is I have difficulty in saying the word in the first place. Whats that about?

Are you talking about ordinary words or long ones, Pen? I suspect you mean long ones. The answer is here..

http://lincs.ed.gov/lincs/discussions/l ... itive.html
“If information (letters, sounds, and words) is being supplied to working memory too slowly (or in a degraded form) due to phonological processing deficits and/or processing speed deficits, there is some chance that the first letters/sounds or words to arrive in working memory have begun to fade by the time the last letters in that sequence have arrived.”

And it's not at all unusual, so you're not alone.

:hug:

I did not know that, thanks for the info. :thumbup:
There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#23  Postby pensioner » Aug 01, 2013 7:28 pm

pensioner wrote:
Doubtdispelled wrote:
pensioner wrote:My spelling is awful, my grammar is even worse. I could not post on this site or any other without using word and spell checker. I am not a thick old guy, at least I do not think so, but with out modern technology I would be to able to post on the early RDF and this site. Some folk on RDF used to take the piss out of my spelling but the thing is I had enough confidence to tell them to fuck off and get a life.

My eldest son could hardly write worth a damn, Pen, read alright, but write and spell, forget it. If it wasn't for technology lawd knows what he would have ended up doing. Computers saved him, now he's head of IT security for Red Bull Racing. That's one in the eye for his primary school head who thought he was stupid. :grin:

Yay for computers! :cheers:

Love it mate. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Sometimes I miss words out in a sentence as well, always doing that. :whine:
There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Doubtdispelled » Aug 01, 2013 7:32 pm

pensioner wrote:I did not know that, thanks for the info. :thumbup:

Glad to be of service, mate, and remember, it doesn't mean that you are stupid. In fact, those who know anything about it often prefer to call it a 'difference' rather than a 'problem', because that's what it is. A vast range of differences in the way that the brain processes the written or spoken word, and often that 'difference' can also mean that a dyslexic can think about stuff in ways that us ordinary mortals cannot.

;)
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#25  Postby Doubtdispelled » Aug 01, 2013 7:37 pm

pensioner wrote:Sometimes I miss words out in a sentence as well, always doing that. :whine:

Can't say that I've ever noticed. :whistle:

But that's just your brain going too fast for your working memory to accommodate, y'know. Which is why dyslexics have trouble getting stuff down in black and white, like kids who suck at exams even though they know the stuff.....

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#26  Postby ramseyoptom » Aug 01, 2013 8:58 pm

On trend that I have noticed recently (it may just be a local phenomena) is that I have had children in year 1 or 2 sent to me for assessment coloured overlays/Precision Tinted lenses and this appears because they are not in the 90th percentile. There appears to be, with some teachers, no allowance for differences in developmental rates. I find the tendency to label children dyslexics at such an early age disturbing.

I will admit as part of my assessment protocol I always do a full eye examination, including binocular vision, as one of the most surprising things I discovered when doing a lecture to the local SENCOs (Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinators) is that most of them had never considered that ordinary eye problems like high hyperopia could even cause problems with school work. Sometimes I despair.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
George Bernard Shaw
ramseyoptom

Name: Ian
Male

Isle of Man (im)
Print view this post

#27  Postby pensioner » Aug 01, 2013 9:12 pm

SalukiAlmana wrote:Ever since I was a child I've had problems with spelling out loud. If someone asks me to spell something out loud (for example my boyfriend's last name, Montague) I feel a panic come over me. I have to focus VERY hard to make sure I don't miss any letters or mix them up... even when I correctly recite the letters, they don't form any sort of image in my mind and I often feel confused for a few moments after I've spelled something out loud... like I'm trying to check and double check if I actually did it right.

I also read much slower than other adults (I am 26, by the way) and several months ago I was in a room with about 30 other adults and we were all asked to complete a test, made up of all written words, within an hour. Everyone else finished somewhere between 30 - 45 minutes. By the time I finished, there was only 1 minute left on the clock. If a sentence or paragraph is particularly long and not very interesting/stimulating, I often have to go back and read it over sometimes up to 4 before I actually comprehend the meaning of the words... I feel light headed and dizzy sometimes when this happens.

I also struggle with learning things from lectures. I get confused trying to follow the meaning of the words being spoken to me. And if a single word is said that I don't understand the meaning of, I get stuck on that word or phrase trying to figure it out.

Thanks starting this topic.

I've never been any good at taking notes or handwriting. I compare my handwriting to that of a 9 year old boy... It's legible but there's nothing pretty or girly about it. In high school I would marvel at the way other students took notes. They always seemed to know exactly what to write to summarize what they were being told. Using bullets or numbering lines. I felt stupid and clumsy if I attempted to do the same, and I was always terrified someone else would see my notes and laugh or criticize me in some way.

To this day, particularly when I'm reading a word I'm not familiar with, I have to focus to figure out if I'm looking at "p" or "q". And "d" and "b" confuse me as well. I don't have a problem with writing them, just reading them.

When I memorize a phone number, bank account number, or when I memorized my own social security number, I imagine a number pad and the sequence the numbers make. Sometimes when I'm asked to recite my bank account number, I even tap my finger on the desk in the sequence as though I were typing it on a keyboard or telephone.

Its sort of interesting that now I have a job that requires a lot of data entry... I have no issues what-so-ever with looking at a number and simultaneously typing that number on a keyboard. But god forbid I'm asked to read that number out loud, or write down a number that someone spoke to me. If I'm on the phone with someone I have to write down the numbers they give me immediately or I forget them or can't comprehend what amount they are actually saying. And if I'm reading a number out loud, I will often flip the numbers in the wrong sequence as I speak them. I SEE 356 but I SAY 365. Even though I know what the number is, my mouth can't seem to figure out how to speak them in that order unless I really think about it...

I thought these were just traits I have... being shy or maybe even a little stupid. But as time goes by and I encounter and conquer more and more life experiences in different ways then the "average" person (if there is such a thing) I start to wonder if maybe there something else behind these little issues I've had my whole life.

Can anyone help me understand what this is? I don't want to say "figure out what's wrong with me" because I don't feel like I'm broken or anything... I just want to know what's different about me.

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for this topic.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 09, 2013 4:28 pm

It seems that you might not even have been dyslexic if you had been brought up in Chinese:
http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080407/full/news.2008.739.html
The differences between the two languages suggests that dyslexia could be two separate disorders. "That's the most provocative possibility, that you could be fine in one language and struggling in the other," says Gabrieli.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience