Babies can think before they can speak

Oh Really???

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Babies can think before they can speak

#1  Postby kennyc » May 27, 2015 11:12 am

Babies can think before they can speak

Source:
Northwestern University
Summary:
Analogical ability -- the ability to see common relations between objects, events or ideas -- is a key skill that underlies human intelligence and differentiates humans from other apes. While there is considerable evidence that preschoolers can learn abstract relations, it remains an open question whether infants can as well. In a new study, researchers found infants are capable of learning the abstract relations of same and different after only a few examples....


http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 140601.htm
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
User avatar
kennyc
THREAD STARTER
 
Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Posts: 8694
Male

Country: U.S.A.
United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#2  Postby igorfrankensteen » May 27, 2015 11:56 am

Yes really. I remember such myself. Figuring out how to speak REQUIRES being able to think, after all.

Not that everyone who speaks, proves that they put any thought into what they said, before they said it.
User avatar
igorfrankensteen
 
Name: michael e munson
Posts: 2114
Age: 64
Male

Country: United States
United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#3  Postby Animavore » May 27, 2015 12:02 pm

I don't see why not. How often to we look at a problem and see a solution without wording it out? In fact, it often seems like the wording comes after the thought to me.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 38812
Age: 38
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#4  Postby DavidMcC » May 27, 2015 12:38 pm

Animavore wrote:I don't see why not. How often to we look at a problem and see a solution without wording it out? In fact, it often seems like the wording comes after the thought to me.

Indeed. Sometimes, I am unable to recall a key word in the expression of a thought, but that does not prevent me from knowing the meaning of the missing word (even when I can't remember any alternative word or phrase), or the thought expressed by the sentence containing it.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14290
Age: 64
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#5  Postby laklak » May 27, 2015 1:31 pm

Duh. Are there people who actually thought they didn't think before learning language? Really? Probably the same people who claim that dogs aren't conscious, cows don't have feelings, and women shouldn't study the sciences.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
User avatar
laklak
RS Donator
 
Name: Florida Man
Posts: 16377
Age: 63
Male

Country: The Great Satan
Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#6  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » May 27, 2015 1:37 pm

Babies are thinking all the time. They don't have a lot of knowledge but they're thinking. When you tell a baby who doesn't say any words yet to put one bathtoy in the other and they do they thought about it.
User avatar
Rachel Bronwyn
 
Name: a certain type of girl
Posts: 11398
Age: 29
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#7  Postby DavidMcC » May 27, 2015 2:04 pm

laklak wrote:Duh. Are there people who actually thought they didn't think before learning language? Really? Probably the same people who claim that dogs aren't conscious, cows don't have feelings, and women shouldn't study the sciences.

Apparently so, daft as it is, according to the OP article.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC
 
Name: David McCulloch
Posts: 14290
Age: 64
Male

Country: United Kigdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#8  Postby DougC » May 27, 2015 4:29 pm

If only we could RE-learn to think before WE speak.

Just think about that for a moment, go on, think about THAT.



(Thought for the day.)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC
 
Posts: 14150
Age: 45
Male

Country: UNITED Kingdom
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#9  Postby lucek » May 27, 2015 6:57 pm

The Proof. . .



Just kidding but yeah I've heard this before. But it's not as clear cut as it first appears. Think about it when we are older our thought are pretty well tied to our inner monologue. We think in language. So this suggest we can think otherwise.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
User avatar
lucek
 
Posts: 3641

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#10  Postby Clive Durdle » May 27, 2015 7:33 pm

Thinking with words is only one means of thinking. Just because it is assumed to be very important does not mean it is.
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle
 
Name: Clive Durdle
Posts: 4796

Country: UK
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#11  Postby Fallible » May 27, 2015 7:51 pm

lucek wrote:The Proof. . .



Just kidding but yeah I've heard this before. But it's not as clear cut as it first appears. Think about it when we are older our thought are pretty well tied to our inner monologue. We think in language. So this suggest we can think otherwise.


I think in images at least some of the time.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
User avatar
Fallible
RS Donator
 
Name: Alice Pooper
Posts: 43954
Age: 44
Female

Country: Engerland na na
Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#12  Postby Zwaarddijk » May 27, 2015 7:52 pm

It's interesting how popular the idea that one can think without language/words is here - not that I mind, since I generally agree with the notion that thought without language is quite possible.

However, judging from various other corners of the internet, it seems neither to be popular among people in general, nor all that popular among linguists. As for people in general, there's even those who believe silly things like deaf people cannot think, because they "don't have language". . . linguists seem to be at least slightly more informed on this topic, most of the time.
Zwaarddijk
 
Posts: 4319
Male

Country: Finland
Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#13  Postby Doubtdispelled » May 27, 2015 8:40 pm

kennyc wrote:Oh Really???


:roll:
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled
 
Posts: 11744

Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#14  Postby lucek » May 27, 2015 11:22 pm

Zwaarddijk wrote:It's interesting how popular the idea that one can think without language/words is here - not that I mind, since I generally agree with the notion that thought without language is quite possible.

However, judging from various other corners of the internet, it seems neither to be popular among people in general, nor all that popular among linguists. As for people in general, there's even those who believe silly things like deaf people cannot think, because they "don't have language". . . linguists seem to be at least slightly more informed on this topic, most of the time.

Well there was that famous case of the Mexican orphanage for and the death kids developing language independently. Just because one never speaks or even is spoken too doesn't mean they don't have language. But a way of communicating to oneself without external input or output is stretching the definition I admit.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
User avatar
lucek
 
Posts: 3641

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#15  Postby surreptitious57 » May 28, 2015 9:52 am

kenny : when you were born did you speak before you could think or
think before you could speak ? If the answer is the former then how
could you say the words that you did with out first thinking of them
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
 
Posts: 8544

Print view this post

Ads by Google


Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#16  Postby Animavore » May 28, 2015 10:34 am

EDIT: NVM.
A most evolved electron.
User avatar
Animavore
 
Name: The Scribbler
Posts: 38812
Age: 38
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#17  Postby Alan B » May 28, 2015 5:39 pm

I remember being in my pram - before I could speak...
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
User avatar
Alan B
 
Posts: 8498
Age: 81
Male

Country: UK (Birmingham)
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#18  Postby monkeyboy » May 28, 2015 8:11 pm

Fallible wrote:
I think in images at least some of the time.

I'll go out on a limb here and suggest you can even manage to think in tastes and smells too. Do we think of warmth in language or as a recollection of a sensation? Do composers of music think in note code rather than sounds?
Our minds are spectacular things and to attempt to restrict them to just thoughts we can articulate through language is to deny us of our most wonderful bits of our imaginations.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
User avatar
monkeyboy
 
Posts: 5325
Male

Country: England
England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#19  Postby lucek » May 28, 2015 8:36 pm

surreptitious57 wrote:kenny : when you were born did you speak before you could think or
think before you could speak ? If the answer is the former then how
could you say the words that you did with out first thinking of them

These need not be mutually exclusive.

In truth our language skills and thinking abilities develop at the same time together.

But to propose a hypothetical, a rudimentary internal language (barely more then recognition) could develop before our brains have anything to do with it.
Next time a creationist says, "Were you there to watch the big bang", say "Yes we are".
"Nutrition is a balancing act during the day, not a one-shot deal from a single meal or food.":Sciwoman
User avatar
lucek
 
Posts: 3641

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Babies can think before they can speak

#20  Postby Clive Durdle » May 29, 2015 6:59 am

http://cybertrackerblog.org/2014/06/11/ ... ancestors/

Speech is a very minor part of thought
"We cannot slaughter each other out of the human impasse"
Clive Durdle
 
Name: Clive Durdle
Posts: 4796

Country: UK
United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest