Belief and neuroscience with split-brain patients

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, amok, ADParker

Belief and neuroscience with split-brain patients

#1  Postby LIFE » Jun 30, 2010 7:07 pm

V.S. Ramachandran elaborates on an observation about how religious belief
is connected to the brain hemisphere "in use":

From 6:10 onward:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZClfg_kzwE[/youtube]

To the question Do you believe in God? the right hemisphere "responds" with
a Yes and the left hemisphere "responds" with a No.

Theists, what is your explanation?
Does the atheist hemisphere go to hell and the other one to heaven? :D
"If you think education is expensive, try the cost of ignorance" - Derek Bok
"Words that make questions may not be questions at all" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
LIFE
Site Admin

Name: Bernhard
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Belief and neuroscience with split-brain patients

#2  Postby King David » Jul 01, 2010 6:57 pm

That's interesting. What would be even more useful would be to test patients who were atheists prior to their corpus callosum being severed vs patients who were devout believers prior to the surgery.
Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer. -Humphry Davy
King David

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby LIFE » Jul 01, 2010 7:01 pm

King David wrote:That's interesting. What would be even more useful would be to test patients who were atheists prior to their corpus callosum being severed vs patients who were devout believers prior to the surgery.

Yes, although I should have chosen a more entertaining title, it's not attracting much attention :waah:
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#4  Postby natselrox » Jul 01, 2010 7:10 pm

Post it on the Psychology/Neuroscience forum. That'd filter the crowd and a better discussion might follow. :D
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#5  Postby King David » Jul 01, 2010 7:51 pm

LIFE wrote:
King David wrote:That's interesting. What would be even more useful would be to test patients who were atheists prior to their corpus callosum being severed vs patients who were devout believers prior to the surgery.

Yes, although I should have chosen a more entertaining title, it's not attracting much attention :waah:

Well, I thought it looked interesting, but, you are the site admin. I think changing the title shouldn't be outside of your abilities. :smile:
Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer. -Humphry Davy
King David

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby LIFE » Jul 01, 2010 7:53 pm

King David wrote:
LIFE wrote:

Well, I thought it looked interesting, but, you are the site admin. I think changing the title shouldn't be outside of your abilities. :smile:

Every user can change the title of the own threads (within the edit limit) ;)
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#7  Postby LIFE » Jul 01, 2010 7:54 pm

natselrox wrote:Post it on the Psychology/Neuroscience forum. That'd filter the crowd and a better discussion might follow. :D

Yeah, probably better.
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby starr » Jul 01, 2010 11:03 pm

Very interesting :cheers:
stijndeloose wrote: A wise decision that anyone can make: if you feel tempted to attack a RatSkep member, take a break.

starr
RS Donator

Female

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jul 02, 2010 4:16 am

Does anyone have a reference for any articles of his on this topic? I had a search but couldn't find anything.

His conclusions seem to be quite stretched - I imagine the difference is due to a linguistic or factual ambiguity in the question of belief in god, compared to whether you attend a certain college or whether you are male or female, rather than an actual difference of belief in the left and right hemispheres.
Mr.Samsa
RS Donator

Print view this post

#10  Postby jenisturt » Jul 02, 2010 7:13 am

That was quite an interesting video to be thought about. If the response to this question has been answer quite contradictorily buy the left and the right part of the brain. How difficult would it be to be able to determine the exact answer to other such questions. There is a very good explanation given by Mr.Samsa, but after all the brain is the controlling factor of our beliefs and so this science behind this could not be completely ruled out.
jenisturt

Name: Jennifer Stuart

United States (us)
Print view this post

#11  Postby LIFE » Jul 02, 2010 11:24 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:Does anyone have a reference for any articles of his on this topic? I had a search but couldn't find anything.

His conclusions seem to be quite stretched - I imagine the difference is due to a linguistic or factual ambiguity in the question of belief in god, compared to whether you attend a certain college or whether you are male or female, rather than an actual difference of belief in the left and right hemispheres.

http://www.amazon.com/Phantoms-Brain-Pr ... 0688172172

Also you would think a scientist should conduct experiments in a scientific way and not jump to unfounded conclusions :D
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#12  Postby katja z » Jul 02, 2010 11:27 am

:coffee:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Mr.Samsa » Jul 03, 2010 12:38 am

LIFE wrote:http://www.amazon.com/Phantoms-Brain-Probing-Mysteries-Human/dp/0688172172&tag=rationskepti-20

Yeah I know about "Phantoms in the Brain" :tongue: (Your link doesn't work by the way). I was just hoping for some actual articles on the subject, as popscience books (whilst interesting) do tend to have a few points that are basically made up in order to make it a bit more interesting and it reflects more the opinion of the author, rather than what the scientific evidence actually says.

LIFE wrote:Also you would think a scientist should conduct experiments in a scientific way and not jump to unfounded conclusions :D

:lol: In a perfect world this is true, but unfortunately not always the case which is why it's important for independent scientists to replicate others' work and attempt to falsify their conclusions. The Amazon preview of the book also notes in the preface that the section on "denial" (as relating to this topic) "...describe[s] work at an earlier stage, much of which is frankly speculative" (page xvi).
Mr.Samsa
RS Donator

Print view this post

#14  Postby LIFE » Jul 03, 2010 10:04 am

I understand that. Haven't looked myself as I wouldn't know where to look. Also a lot of papers aren't even accessible through the internet :dunno:
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience