Brain training,exercises keeping the elderly active

How to keep old people cognitively resilient?

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Brain training,exercises keeping the elderly active

#1  Postby cavarka9 » Jun 22, 2014 5:35 pm

For 64+ age. Whats the best regime to keep them going long for next 20+ yrs without dependency?
Any medications required?. Does yoga,meditation,exercise help?

Advices please?
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
cavarka9

Name: prajna

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Brain training,exercises keeping the elderly active

#2  Postby Animavore » Jun 22, 2014 8:58 pm

My grandad went to college and started educating himself for the sake of education.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Veida » Jun 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Coffe, crosswords, some exercise. Being married.
Veida

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Emmeline » Jun 22, 2014 9:25 pm

Animavore wrote:My grandad went to college and started educating himself for the sake of education.

Good for him! I love hearing things like that. :clap:
Emmeline

Print view this post

#5  Postby HomerJay » Jun 22, 2014 9:31 pm

We've solved the problem here by raising the retirement age, I'll be working til 75 I expect, unless death comes first.
For me, the value of a climb is the sum of three inseparable elements, all equally important: aesthetics, history, and ethics

Walter Bonatti 1930-2011

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand" - Steven Wright
HomerJay

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Jun 22, 2014 9:34 pm

As far as avoiding becoming physically unable to maintain your independence; it's pretty much all the obvious boring things (cut down on unhealthy foods, avoid a sedentary lifestyle, avoid serious injury e.t.c).

As far as avoiding becoming mentally incapable of maintaining your independence; avoid sleep disruption/deprivation, stay physically active and avoid stress. Those are pretty much the only things that solid evidence have shown to make a difference.
It's probably a good idea to immerse yourself in activities that that are enjoyable and keep you mentally stimulated; but within that criteria, there's no specific 'regime' (as far as I know) that currently available evidence has shown to be 'better' or 'worse' than any other.

In terms of medication; I've read that certain antidepressants have been shown to aid in the production of new brain cells, but I think this effect has only been demonstrated in people who actually have depression to begin with.
Vitamin and mineral supplements have no known benefits for anyone who's pretty much eating a balanced diet anyway. Aspirin and/or statins and/or ginkgo extract may or may not be of any help (the jury's still out; if in doubt, seek a doctors advice).

It's worrying just how far I am from following any of this advice in my own life. :(
Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7  Postby laklak » Jun 22, 2014 9:59 pm

Lots of beer and high calorie, fatty foods. Avoid exercise, though you can walk to the pub. Shag as much as possible. Good drugs include cannabis, LSD, magic mushrooms and the occasional recreational opioid. Watch a lot of TV. Post bullshit on the internet.

This won't make you live longer, but you'll really enjoy what time you've got left.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby kennyc » Jun 22, 2014 11:08 pm

laklak wrote:Lots of beer and high calorie, fatty foods. Avoid exercise, though you can walk to the pub. Shag as much as possible. Good drugs include cannabis, LSD, magic mushrooms and the occasional recreational opioid. Watch a lot of TV. Post bullshit on the internet.

This won't make you live longer, but you'll really enjoy what time you've got left.

Whew! Thank you!
You should publish this plan, you'll make a fortune!
Maybe franchise it.... :naughty2:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby laklak » Jun 22, 2014 11:18 pm

I've always thought I had a self-help book in me. Maybe a spot on Good Morning America. I can be Dr. Lak the Medicine Man, a cross between Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil and Dr. Ruth.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#10  Postby kiore » Jun 23, 2014 12:09 am

laklak wrote:I've always thought I had a self-help book in me. Maybe a spot on Good Morning America. I can be Dr. Lak the Medicine Man, a cross between Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil and Dr. Ruth.

The Sage Lak plan, you won't live longer but it will feel like it...
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience