Chimpanzees are capable of metacognition

Speaking of Self-Awareness

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Chimpanzees are capable of metacognition

#1  Postby kennyc » Jun 09, 2015 12:16 pm

Chimpanzees may know when they are right and move to prove it
Date:
June 8, 2015
Source:
Georgia State University

Chimpanzees are capable of metacognition, or thinking about one's own thinking, and can adjust their behavior accordingly, researchers at Georgia State University, Agnes Scott College, Wofford College and the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York have discovered.

Their findings, published June 6 in the journal Cognition, suggest chimpanzees share with humans the capacity for metacognitive monitoring, which reflects a form of cognitive control that underlies intelligent decision-making across species.

Metacognition occurs when individuals monitor what they know and don't know, when they seek information they need to know and when they respond to a question with high confidence or low confidence. Confidence measures are one clear means of looking at how humans monitor their own knowledge states. Humans can orally report confidence or lack of confidence or even use numerical ratings scales. They also can give confidence ratings through non-verbal behaviors such as shoulder shrugs, hesitations in responses and similar behaviors.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 212743.htm
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Chimpanzees are capable of metacognition

#2  Postby DavidMcC » Jul 10, 2015 2:55 pm

Maybe some monkeys know when they're right:
A botanist with a monkey assistant, collecting rare orchids in Africa, instructed his monkey to fetch a particular plant that was growing on a vine, down a steep slope. The monkey looked askance at his keeper, then proceeded to haul the vine up, picked the orchid off, and gave it to the botanist. The botanist could have done this himself, but apparently didn't think of it.
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Horwood Beer-Master » Jul 12, 2015 6:14 pm

Once again chimpanzees demonstrate they possess cognitive abilities that are far out of the reach of my next-door-neighbours.
Also available on Rationalia

Horwood Beer-Master

Name: Ian

England (eng)
Print view this post

#4  Postby igorfrankensteen » Jul 12, 2015 7:58 pm

Heck, my cats do that kind of stuff. And I ordered my dog to eat my children once, and she immediately sat down in front of me with her ears back, and just stared at me.

I'm betting what this story is really about, is that the "scientists" in question think they've come up with a way to measure this common behavior and characteristic of creature with memory functions, in a way which they can claim credit for.
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience