Comprehensive evidence that the mind surives death

Revived patients claim to have seen the light

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Comprehensive evidence that the mind surives death

#61  Postby Mike_L » Dec 30, 2017 10:34 am

Greyman wrote:
Animavore wrote:How does this mind, once allegedly disembodied and passed on to a place beyond, know to go back to the body after it has been revived after a few hours? Is it possible to sever the body from the mind leaving a living piece of meat behind?
Indeed, why do we never get a case of someone returned to the wrong body?

That does happen. It happens to lots of people! :shifty:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby laklak » Dec 30, 2017 3:52 pm

I want to wake up in Scarlett Johansson's body. It's OK if I'm still in my own at the time.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#63  Postby SafeAsMilk » Dec 30, 2017 3:59 pm

Fallible wrote:This thread is hilarious.

But...but...comprehensive evidence!
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#64  Postby surreptitious57 » Dec 30, 2017 5:57 pm

Wortfish wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Meaning there is evidence that what ever they experienced did not occur during that period

Well that assumes that many of the patients were lying now

That is one possibility. Another more plausible one is they gave an account of what they genuinely thought they were
experiencing although it was something else. First person subjective experience is notoriously unreliable. There is no
way to objectively demonstrate it if the only person doing it is the one who actually witnessed the event in question
Not even if their account of it is entirely accurate
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#65  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 30, 2017 6:54 pm

laklak wrote:I want to wake up in Scarlett Johansson's body. It's OK if I'm still in my own at the time.

:lol: :lol: :naughty:
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#66  Postby Alan B » Jan 01, 2018 8:36 pm

The brain is a very complex electronic circuit and like all circuits of this complexity there is an element of electrical capacitance built-in.
When the energy source is removed, the capacitances will begin to discharge in an uncontrolled manner causing some circuits to behave in unexpected and abnormal ways. This gives rise to all sorts of weird and wonderful stories if the power is restored soon enough.
If the power is not restored, then discharge will continue until there is nothing left to 'activate' any circuitry.
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Shrunk » Jan 02, 2018 1:30 am

Alan B wrote:The brain is a very complex electronic circuit and like all circuits of this complexity there is an element of electrical capacitance built-in.

I've learned that the hard way, working on tube audio amplifiers that had long been unplugged, making it easy to forget that they still carried some juice in their power supplies. :oops:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby GrahamH » Jan 02, 2018 2:36 pm

Wortfish wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:The critical issues here are the cause and definition of "death", which is a process that can take time. In the early part of this period, the mind may survive, at least partially. This will obviously often be the case when, as in the interview, death is defined as "when the heart stops". It does, of course depend very much on the cause of death, so the thread title is highly misleading, IMO. For example, if death is caused by being rapidly crushed to bits under a heavy, but unseen, object, then there will be almost no time for which the mind can survive after the heart stops.

Dr. Parnia's research shows that the brain shuts down when the heart stops. But it doesn't decompose immediately. That allows people to be brought back from a state of clinical death. But. as the brain is inactive during this period, there should be no awareness....but there is.

Where do you get "the brain is inactive during this period" and what exactly does "inactive" mean? I don't think technology exists that could show that to be the case. EEG only captures coarse scale signals that make it to the scalp. FMRI doesn't measure electrical or synaptic activity and direct electrical probing covers very small areas and would not be appropriate in a CA situation.

The guy in the video talks of "not expecting" brain activity, but what is un-evidenced expectation worth in exceptional cases?

The next question would be how do you establish the timing of these experiences? How can the possibility of confabulation by the recovering functional brain be eliminated?
Why do you think that?
GrahamH

Print view this post

#69  Postby Shrunk » Jan 02, 2018 3:35 pm

:this:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Alan B » Jan 02, 2018 7:28 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Alan B wrote:The brain is a very complex electronic circuit and like all circuits of this complexity there is an element of electrical capacitance built-in.

I've learned that the hard way, working on tube audio amplifiers that had long been unplugged, making it easy to forget that they still carried some juice in their power supplies. :oops:

Oh, yeah. Been there, done that. Ouch!
I have NO BELIEF in the existence of a God or gods. I do not have to offer evidence nor do I have to determine absence of evidence because I do not ASSERT that a God does or does not or gods do or do not exist.
Alan B

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience