Creativity and the Cerebellum

Hmmm....I'm not convinced

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Creativity and the Cerebellum

#1  Postby kennyc » May 29, 2015 12:15 pm

This study links creativity to the cerebellum. I've got a number of issues with this study. First is that drawing, and most of the drawings shown involve physical movement which is what the cerebellum does. Secondly I think it shows how little we know about the interacting processes of the brain. More and more we see larger overall patterns, stimulation between brain regions when solving problems, thinking, reading, etc. I really don't have much confidence in the results.

Unexpected brain structures tied to creativity, and to stifling it
Date:
May 28, 2015
Source:
Stanford University Medical Center
Summary:

Investigators at Stanford University have found a surprising link between creative problem-solving and heightened activity in the cerebellum, a structure located in the back of the brain and more typically thought of as the body's movement-coordination center.

In designing the study, the researchers drew inspiration from the game Pictionary.

The cerebellum, traditionally viewed as the brain's practice-makes-perfect, movement-control center, hasn't been previously recognized as critical to creativity. The new study, a collaboration between the School of Medicine and Stanford's Hasso Plattner Institute of Design, commonly known as the d.school, is the first to find direct evidence that this brain region is involved in the creative process.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 084158.htm
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Creativity and the Cerebellum

#2  Postby DavidMcC » May 29, 2015 12:30 pm

Kenny, aren't you just objecting to the word, "unexpected" in the title? Altenatively, you are drawing (apols for the pun) a distinction between thinking up creative acts (even though this would involve mental rehearsal of movements) and the actual execution of such acts (involving actual movements).
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience