Do Rats (and everyone else) have free will

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Do Rats (and everyone else) have free will

#61  Postby Willie71 » Nov 25, 2014 3:59 pm

Chrisw wrote:
Willie71 wrote:I am aware of compatibalism, and see why its appealing to many. I don't think the emerging neuroscience is going to support it as the evidence comes in, but we'll see as the research is being done. :thumbup:

But compatibilism is just the strategy of defining free will in such a way that we can be said to have free will even if the world is deterministic. The motivation for defining it in this way is that the alternative, traditional definition makes no sense.

Traditionally I'm supposed to have free will if I could have acted differently given identical physical circumstances. Furthermore, this difference has to be something other than blind randomness, it has to be "me" making the choices. This implies that I am something more than a physical being.

Compatibilists redefine free will because they think that there is something worth saving from the idea of free will, that the idea can be given a sane, non-supernatural interpretation. The alternative is to reject free will as a fundamentally broken concept - we don't have free will because the idea is nonsensical.

I think either of these two last approachs (compatibilism or no free will) is rational but I'm not sure how research could decide the issue for us. They are really just different ways of talking about free will.

The difficulty is that we can't do an experiment with you as the dependent and independent variable at the same time. What we can do is measure brain activity and the timing of conscious awareness. The research is showing that conscious awareness happens after, not before decisions, so it isn't the driver of the decision. Since we aren't aware of our unconscious processing, we think our decisions come from consciousness, but they don't.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby kennyc » Nov 25, 2014 4:10 pm

Willie71 wrote:
Chrisw wrote:
Willie71 wrote:I am aware of compatibalism, and see why its appealing to many. I don't think the emerging neuroscience is going to support it as the evidence comes in, but we'll see as the research is being done. :thumbup:

But compatibilism is just the strategy of defining free will in such a way that we can be said to have free will even if the world is deterministic. The motivation for defining it in this way is that the alternative, traditional definition makes no sense.

Traditionally I'm supposed to have free will if I could have acted differently given identical physical circumstances. Furthermore, this difference has to be something other than blind randomness, it has to be "me" making the choices. This implies that I am something more than a physical being.

Compatibilists redefine free will because they think that there is something worth saving from the idea of free will, that the idea can be given a sane, non-supernatural interpretation. The alternative is to reject free will as a fundamentally broken concept - we don't have free will because the idea is nonsensical.

I think either of these two last approachs (compatibilism or no free will) is rational but I'm not sure how research could decide the issue for us. They are really just different ways of talking about free will.

The difficulty is that we can't do an experiment with you as the dependent and independent variable at the same time. What we can do is measure brain activity and the timing of conscious awareness. The research is showing that conscious awareness happens after, not before decisions, so it isn't the driver of the decision. Since we aren't aware of our unconscious processing, we think our decisions come from consciousness, but they don't.

Right and that's exactly what the O.P. was about.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#63  Postby ughaibu » Nov 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
ughaibu wrote:All that is required for the libertarian position is that in a non-determined world an agent can control some of their actions.
Wouldn't this then allow plants the characteristic of free will?
If plants make and implement conscious choices from amongst realisable alternatives, then plants have free will.
ughaibu

Print view this post

#64  Postby Matthew Shute » Nov 25, 2014 5:31 pm

Ah, what could have been...

The realisable alternatives... those alternatives we could never find it in ourselves to realise.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#65  Postby ughaibu » Nov 25, 2014 5:42 pm

Chrisw wrote:
ughaibu wrote:In the contemporary literature. . .
I don't recognise that as a definition of compatibilism.
Then you're not in the discussion.
Bye.
ughaibu

Print view this post

#66  Postby Chrisw » Nov 25, 2014 7:37 pm

Willie71 wrote:What we can do is measure brain activity and the timing of conscious awareness. The research is showing that conscious awareness happens after, not before decisions, so it isn't the driver of the decision. Since we aren't aware of our unconscious processing, we think our decisions come from consciousness, but they don't.

But this is just another statement of determinism. Our apparently free, conscious choices are actually determined before we make them.

But compatibilists already accept that determinism may well be true and they reason that this should not affect our belief in free will. No research can tell us whether they are right to think in this way. It can only tell us whether or not there is determinism.
Chrisw

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Chrisw » Nov 25, 2014 7:56 pm

ughaibu wrote:
Chrisw wrote:
Bye.

Show me a reference. And one that explains how these terms are being used (because what you wrote doesn't obviously make sense). The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy entry on compatibilism is quite long and thorough and never mentions logical possibility once.

Compatibilists don't think that people have free will because there are alternative logical possibilities. That's simply wrong, so maybe it wasn't what you intended to say?

Physical reality is contingent, so even under causal determinism there are other ways that the world might have been but is not (i.e. alternative logical possibilities). But this is not why compatibilists think free will is compatible with causal determinism, there would be no sense to such a position at all. Why would alternative events in other possible worlds impart in me feelings of agency in this world? If you attack compatibilism on these grounds you are attacking a straw man.
Chrisw

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 25, 2014 8:13 pm

ughaibu wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
ughaibu wrote:All that is required for the libertarian position is that in a non-determined world an agent can control some of their actions.
If plants make and implement conscious choices from amongst realisable alternatives, then plants have free will.

I thought there might just be a little more to it than the first formulation! :)
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#69  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 25, 2014 8:15 pm

Matthew Shute wrote:Ah, what could have been...

The realisable alternatives... those alternatives we could never find it in ourselves to realise.

And, in fact, weren't realised... so how are we supposed to know they were ever realisable? :think:
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#70  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 25, 2014 8:19 pm

ughaibu wrote:
Chrisw wrote:
Bye.

:nono:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#71  Postby ughaibu » Nov 26, 2014 2:57 am

Spearthrower wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
I thought there might just be a little more to it than the first formulation! :)
My first post on this thread is number seven.
ughaibu

Print view this post

#72  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 26, 2014 6:21 am

ughaibu wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:Wouldn't this then allow plants the characteristic of free will?

That as may be, Ughaibu - I was only responding to the quotation I cited - that all that's needed to evidence free will is that an agent can control some of their actions. Many objects we wouldn't attribute free will to can control some of their own actions.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#73  Postby DavidMcC » Nov 28, 2014 12:49 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
ughaibu wrote:If plants make and implement conscious choices from amongst realisable alternatives, then plants have free will.

That as may be, Ughaibu - I was only responding to the quotation I cited - that all that's needed to evidence free will is that an agent can control some of their actions. Many objects we wouldn't attribute free will to can control some of their own actions.

Does that mean that you think computers can have free will? :o
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#74  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 28, 2014 10:28 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
ughaibu wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:I thought there might just be a little more to it than the first formulation! :)

Who me?

Try reading it again, David.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#75  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Nov 28, 2014 11:30 pm

Ratz have free will, people have televisions.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby DavidMcC » Nov 29, 2014 3:34 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
ughaibu wrote:My first post on this thread is number seven.

Who me?

That doesn't answer the question.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#77  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 29, 2014 4:22 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Who me?

Does that mean you think Jesus is a sunbeam?

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#78  Postby DavidMcC » Nov 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

Who me?

Eh?? :scratch:
This thread is becoming non-sensical.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#79  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 29, 2014 4:44 pm

DavidMcC wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Who me?

Eh?? :scratch:
This thread is becoming non-sensical.

Precisely.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#80  Postby kennyc » Nov 29, 2014 6:48 pm

All right then, bring in the shrubberies!

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience