Does anyone have any phobias, Fear of something, something?

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Does anyone have any phobias, Fear of something, somethi

#121  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 01, 2010 8:39 pm

PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn wrote:Odontarrupophobia - fear of toothbrushes. no idea why, everytime I see them a shiver goes down my spine.....

and bees/wasps. bumblebees are fine, not keen on moths as they have a genetic predisposition to fly at your face, but they dont bother me too much. but bees/wasps have me doing stunts worthy of the matrix to get out of the room.

Aaaaw, a cute little wasp is mounting my keyboard right now :hugs:

I think its dying of old age :roll:
Its very gray haired and it doesnt fly or move very much

Ooooh, looks like its trying to get into my fridge! :what:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#122  Postby Animavore » Jun 01, 2010 10:37 pm

I have a phobia of mentally handicapped people and seriously ill ones too. Is there a name for that?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#123  Postby Tyrannical » Jun 02, 2010 4:33 am

Animavore wrote:I have a phobia of mentally handicapped people and seriously ill ones too. Is there a name for that?

Mentally handicapped seriously creep me out too. I can understand why they used to be kept away from the public like they used to.
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#124  Postby Gallstones » Jun 02, 2010 4:49 am

Tyrannical wrote:
Animavore wrote:I have a phobia of mentally handicapped people and seriously ill ones too. Is there a name for that?

Mentally handicapped seriously creep me out too. I can understand why they used to be kept away from the public like they used to.

Gallstones

Print view this post

#125  Postby Gallstones » Jun 02, 2010 4:54 am

Tyrannical wrote:
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:
PsYcHoTiC_MaDmAn wrote:Odontarrupophobia - fear of toothbrushes. no idea why, everytime I see them a shiver goes down my spine.....

and bees/wasps. bumblebees are fine, not keen on moths as they have a genetic predisposition to fly at your face, but they dont bother me too much. but bees/wasps have me doing stunts worthy of the matrix to get out of the room.

But they sting! Surely not an irrational fear.

as far as I'm aware I'm not allergic, and TBH doesn't hurt that much. but the little buggers creep me out.. worst job I ever had was in a kitchen - there was a bees nest just over the back door.....

but unlike some people I cant kill them either, so spend far too much time encouraging them out the window with a broom,

Hairspray + lighter. Their little wings will instantly disintegrate.

You made a pet out of a coyote pelt and you would be cruel to an insect?
Gallstones

Print view this post

#126  Postby Tyrannical » Jun 02, 2010 5:41 am

Gallstones wrote:You made a pet out of a coyote pelt and you would be cruel to an insect?

Well, I had a humming bird feeder that was being swarmed by yellow jackets. A few quick bursts of flame, and they were all on the ground. Wasps once built a nest in my gas grill, boy was that one fun lucky day too.
Good fences make good neighbors
Tyrannical
Banned Troll

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#127  Postby Lazar » Jun 02, 2010 6:25 am

Gallstones wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:

+10000

Spinozasgalt: "And how come no one ever sigs me?"
Lazar

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#128  Postby Animavore » Jun 02, 2010 9:20 am

Tyrannical wrote:

Well I wouldn't want that. I tend to just stay away from them. I think it's their unpredictability that unsettles me. I'm the same around dogs.
I think it's because I had bad experiences as a child with both.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#129  Postby tnjrp » Jun 02, 2010 9:27 am

"Sane" dogs tend to be fairly predictable, actually, the same as sane people. Obviously not all of them are sane, and in any case you'll need to observe them for some time before you can determine their responses.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#130  Postby Animavore » Jun 02, 2010 9:30 am

tnjrp wrote:"Sane" dogs tend to be fairly predictable, actually, the same as sane people. Obviously not all of them are sane, and in any case you'll need to observe them for some time before you can determine their responses.

I wasn't allowed a dog as a child 'cause my ma's afraid of them :(
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#131  Postby tnjrp » Jun 02, 2010 9:43 am

Contrariwise, I got my first dog because I was personally badly scared by one as a child. I think I must've been around 4. I stammered for a couple of months afterwards. As I recall, my mother thought it would be therapeutic for me to have one. Can't recall if I was ever categorically afraid of them tho.
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#132  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 19, 2010 11:06 pm

I now have botfly-larvae-inside-headophobia

Seen a few videos, apparently you get that if you go to Belize :roll:
Edit: ooo, just watched another video, damn Belize and their bots
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqV1MCDLcMM[/youtube]
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#133  Postby SPMaximus » Jun 21, 2010 11:37 pm

I have a severe fear of being forced to watch this Wendy Wright interview :shifty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFjoEgYO ... PL&index=1
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#134  Postby rEvolutionist » Jun 21, 2010 11:44 pm

I shit you not, I'm actually scared of the dark. I can't for the life of me work out why exactly (although I have one theory). It's thoroughly annoying, what with me being a (supposed) rational person. Anyone know what the hell is wrong with me? Am I just a big baby?
Last edited by rEvolutionist on Jun 22, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
God is a carrot.
Carrots exist.
Therefore God exists (and is a carrot).
rEvolutionist
Banned User

Male

Print view this post

#135  Postby MattHunX » Jun 22, 2010 5:37 am

SPMaximus wrote:I have a severe fear of being forced to watch this Wendy Wright interview :shifty:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFjoEgYO ... PL&index=1

A completely rational fear, indeed.
MattHunX

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Does anyone have any phobias, Fear of something, something?

#136  Postby minininja » Jul 04, 2014 10:44 am

Urg. Did not sleep well last night. There was a spider. Just before going to sleep I'd turned off the lights and opened the window wide to let some cool evening air into the room. As I stood by the window I saw the black shadow crawling up the wall outside and lumbering in towards my room.

I killed it. I keep and emergency can of bug spray in my room these days for just such occasions. But even after shutting the window tight, I spent the night with my skin crawling, itching, every tickling sensation and I have to consciously resist flailing at it in a panic. What if there was already another one in my room? Some people say "They're more scared of you than you are of them", but I'd disagree that they have the mental capacity for a malfunctioning sense of mortal peril, or for that matter often even the awareness of their own surroundings to notice I exist, let alone fear me - because half the time they'll crawl towards me rather than away.

I hate having this phobia. It's so stupid. I don't mind them so much from a distance - when they're outside and I know they'll stay in their web and I can keep as far back as I need to, - but when they're crawling about in the house? - that's too much. The only way I can describe it is, - imagine walking in to your room at night, switching on the light as you shut the door behind you, then turning around to see a full grown siberian tiger next to your bed. Sharp claws and teeth that can tear the flesh from your bones in a flash. 100% life or death fight or flight adrenalin rush panic. The only reason you're not dead already is because it's a magic tiger able to disguise itself as a small creepy crawly. - But I see through that disguise and know if I get just a bit too close it'll be back to its tiger form.

The only chance of survival I've got is to kill it quick and from a distance by throwing a heavy book at it or spraying it with poison - because if it gets away and hides - how do you sleep in a room when there's a tiger under your bed?
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience