Don't sleep on it!

Sleep can entrench negative memories.

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Don't sleep on it!

#1  Postby Mike_L » Nov 30, 2016 6:11 pm

Don't sleep on it, going to bed mad makes it worse
2016-11-29

A good night's sleep may reinforce negative memories in the brain, researchers said on Tuesday, lending scientific credence to the time-worn caution against going to bed angry.

Slipping into slumber while holding on to a freshly-formed bad memory engraves it in the brain, making it harder to shake off later, a team from China and the United States reported in the journal Nature Communications.

"This study suggests that there is certain merit in this age-old advice: 'Do not go to bed angry'," study co-author Yunzhe Liu, who conducted the research at Beijing Normal University, told AFP. "We would suggest to first resolve [the] argument before... bed."

Sleep deprivation following a traumatic event may actually be beneficial...
Sleeping is known to affect how newly-acquired information is stored and processed in the brain, moving from short- to longer-term networks.

Memories of negative or traumatic events often last longer than those of positive or neutral experiences, said the research team. But they can, to an extent, be consciously controlled.

An inability to suppress bad memories has been linked to a number of psychiatric problems including depression and post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Before this latest study, "we did not know whether it is better or worse to suppress memories before or after sleep", said Liu.

Better understanding of such processes may boost the treatment of conditions such as PTSD.
"For example, sleep deprivation immediately after traumatic experiences may prevent traumatic memories from being consolidated... and thus provide the opportunity to block the formation of traumatic memories," the study authors wrote.

Full text at:
http://www.news24.com/Green/News/dont-sleep-on-it-going-to-bed-mad-makes-it-worse-20161129
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Don't sleep on it!

#2  Postby tuco » Nov 30, 2016 10:57 pm

I was under impression that sleeping on it meant to be able (willing?) to reevaluate decision. Angry, well, yes being angry influences decision but its not like sleeping on it makes one even more angry or? :)

However, sleep deprivation as method to benefit trauma conditions is interesting indeed.
tuco

Print view this post

#3  Postby Macdoc » Dec 01, 2016 7:40 am

Seems like a "stiff drink" or two or six might blot the edges... :drunk:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Mike_L » Dec 01, 2016 7:52 am

Macdoc wrote:Seems like a "stiff drink" or two or six might blot the edges... :drunk:

:lol: Absolutely! :thumbup:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#5  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 17, 2016 6:01 pm

I can't sleep anyway, when I'm angry!
:smug:
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby crank » Dec 17, 2016 6:30 pm

I can't get angry when I'm asleep.
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#7  Postby igorfrankensteen » Dec 17, 2016 8:42 pm

Macdoc wrote:Seems like a "stiff drink" or two or six might blot the edges... :drunk:

My first thought as well. This "study" wasn't financed by Seagrams, by any chance?
igorfrankensteen

Name: michael e munson
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 19, 2016 8:35 pm

crank wrote:I can't get angry when I'm asleep.

I possibly can. I've certainly been fearful/anxious when asleep. It's called "having a nightmare". I can't think off-hand of nightmares in which I was angry, but I don't see why I can't.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby crank » Dec 19, 2016 9:21 pm

But that's not real anger, its dream anger. [I realized this but going into that would spoil the meager levels of amusement the comment was meant for.] In a different post, I discussed how a few times I've had dreams where someone did something negative towards me, the next day, if I was around this person, my emotions were influenced to some degree by the memory of the dream. It was not a pleasant thing to witness, a bit unsettling, it's like you want to say 'bad brain, bad bad brain.' Of course I had no knowledge this person had anything against me. But I wonder, could it be my subconscious reading something I did not consciously notice? I never found anything to make me think that was right, but the brain does work in mysterious ways...
“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”
-George Carlin, who died 2008. Ha, now we have human centipedes running the place
crank
RS Donator

Name: Sick & Tired
Male

Pitcairn (pn)
Print view this post

#10  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 20, 2016 1:40 pm

crank wrote:But that's not real anger, its dream anger.

Anger is anger, crank. The fear occasionally experienced as a youth during nightmares was as real as any daytime fear.
And, no, I was not posting for your amusement. I can still remenber the relief I experienced when waking up from them.

EDIT: The situation that cased the fear may have been unreal, but then waking fears can also be due to imagined things, yet the fear is still real.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 20, 2016 2:00 pm

... I aslo used to have sweet dreams, but I was invariably disapppointed when I woke up and found that It was only a dream. :(
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Mike_L » Dec 20, 2016 3:14 pm

Remember... it's ALL just a dream! :grin:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#13  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 20, 2016 3:23 pm

Mike_L wrote:Remember... it's ALL just a dream! :grin:

Sorry, I forgot! ;)
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby DavidMcC » Dec 20, 2016 3:41 pm

crank wrote:...
In a different post, I discussed how a few times I've had dreams where someone did something negative towards me, the next day, if I was around this person, my emotions were influenced to some degree by the memory of the dream. It was not a pleasant thing to witness, a bit unsettling, it's like you want to say 'bad brain, bad bad brain.' Of course I had no knowledge this person had anything against me. But I wonder, could it be my subconscious reading something I did not consciously notice? I never found anything to make me think that was right, but the brain does work in mysterious ways...

Perhaps the moral of your story is: don't believe anything that you dream. Perhaps you were just in a bad mood at the time? :dunno:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience