Elon Musk and AI

Summoning the Demon!

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Elon Musk and AI

#1  Postby kennyc » Oct 27, 2014 2:27 am

he's got some 'funny' ideas about it. Sure, we need to be careful, but we're no where near "Terminator!"

Elon Musk: 'We are summoning the demon' with artificial intelligence
While he believes smart machines can take us to Mars and drive our cars for us, Musk remains worried that artificial intelligence holds a darker potential.

Elon Musk, a chief advocate of cars smart enough to park and drive themselves, continues to escalate his spooky speech when it comes to the next level of computation -- the malicious potential of artificial intelligence continues to freak him out.

"With artificial intelligence, we are summoning the demon," Musk said last week at the MIT Aeronautics and Astronautics Department's 2014 Centennial Symposium. "You know all those stories where there's the guy with the pentagram and the holy water and he's like... yeah, he's sure he can control the demon, [but] it doesn't work out."

This has becoming a recurring theme in Musk's public comments, and each time he warns of the AI bogeyman it seems even more dire.

In June, Musk raised the specter of the "Terminator" franchise, saying that he invests in companies working on artificial intelligence just to be able to keep an eye on the technology.

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/elon-musk-w ... elligence/
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Elon Musk and AI

#2  Postby epepke » Oct 27, 2014 9:37 am

Don't worry. He isn't smart enough to do it.

But I am. So when my army of robot overlords knocks on your door, don't say I didn't warn you.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Lowpro » Oct 28, 2014 7:18 pm

What makes you think it hasn't already been done and we they are walking among us right now?

*beep*

but seriously, the risk of summoning the Demon vs summoning Bender B. Rodriguez (some may consider them one and the same...KILL ALL HUMANS) is worth the effort.
Lowpro

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby trogs » Oct 30, 2014 8:35 pm

TBH, I don't think he's being irrational.

I mean, I think the odds are good that it won't happen. But, if I had to nail a single, most probable cause of human extinction, it's run-away AI. People who are afraid of super-ebola, nukes, asteroids, grey goo, and so on just don't get how hardy and innovative homo sapiens are in the face of disasters.

But strong AI is exponential. It could do the job.

It deserves more respect than anything else, imho.
trogs

Name: trogs
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience