Empathy spectrum

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Empathy spectrum

#21  Postby Sendraks » Apr 20, 2018 3:25 pm

Keep It Real wrote:It's not called theory of the mind; it's called theory of mind.

Its called a typo.

Keep It Real wrote:Your ignorance of it is irrevocably demonstrated in post #17 where you name it incorrectly.

I'd never heard of it prior to you mentioning it but, then I never pretended to in any of my comments.
And regardless, it is still a typo.

Keep It Real wrote:Attempting to backtrack and make out like you knew all along is completely transparant

Did I make out I knew it along? Please quote me where I did. :coffee:

Keep It Real wrote:- your post above is reminiscent of contemptible ego fragility. Bigupz.

My post is reminiscent of that because of shit you made up? :think:
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Pathetic.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#23  Postby Sendraks » Apr 20, 2018 3:30 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Pathetic.

What is?
Your inability to read my posts correctly or inability to provide a cogent response when challenged?
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#24  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Apr 20, 2018 3:34 pm

This is fun.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Fallible » Apr 20, 2018 5:47 pm

Keep It Real wrote:It's not called theory of the mind; it's called theory of mind. Your ignorance of it is irrevocably demonstrated in post #17 where you name it incorrectly. Attempting to backtrack and make out like you knew all along is completely transparant - your post above is reminiscent of contemptible ego fragility. Bigupz.

I lolled at you claiming someone else is ignorant when you don't know what empathy is.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Fallible » Apr 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Fine then: informed. It's like if somebody goes on a five paragraph rant about why they are a creationist, and your response is simply "I disagree." Worthless.

I also lolled at this, when as Sendraks pointed out, this is exactly what you did to me. Why should I spend time and energy replying when you don't?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Thommo » Apr 20, 2018 9:40 pm

Just wait, a thread will soon be cropping up on AFA entitled "Keep It Real appears to be in the process of chewing down RatSkep"!
Thommo

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Sendraks » Apr 20, 2018 10:54 pm

Thommo wrote:Just wait, a thread will soon be cropping up on AFA entitled "Keep It Real appears to be in the process of chewing down RatSkep"!

:lol: :lol:

Sendraks

Male

Print view this post

#29  Postby The_Piper » Apr 21, 2018 12:04 am

I can empathize with squirrels and woodchucks. :shifty:
Believe it or not, tree squirrels are said to have theory of mind. They don't like for other squirrels to see where they bury food. Sometimes even pretending to bury it when another one is watching, but actually carrying it away to bury it somewhere else.

I found this abstract explaining what I mean.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003347207004988?via%3Dihub
Behavioural deception has been studied experimentally primarily in captive-raised primates and corvids, and only in a laboratory setting. Here we show that free-living eastern grey squirrels, Sciurus carolinensis, caching food in the presence of conspecifics perform behavioural deception by covering additional empty sites where nothing has been cached. Such deceptive caching (1) occurred in two distinct populations, (2) occurred more often in the close presence of conspecifics and (3) reduced the probability of cache pilferage by surrogate (human) cache pilferers. In an additional experiment, in which we attempted to elicit deceptive behaviour by pilfering caches, deceptive caching appeared as one behaviour in a suite of pilferage-avoidance responses. To our knowledge, this is the first study to show evidence of behavioural deception by a rodent, and the first to use an experimental approach to studying deceptive behaviour in the wild.
"Tourists make their way thru the foothill landscapes as if blind to all their best beauty, and like children seek the emphasized mountains..." John Muir
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
Self Taken Pictures of Scenery
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Fallible » Apr 21, 2018 6:15 am

Interesting. I think it was from Daniel Dennett that I first heard about birds having a similar sense of others.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Pebble » Apr 21, 2018 6:33 am

"Empathy is a related concept, meaning the recognition and understanding of the states of mind of others, including their beliefs, desires and particularly emotions. This is often characterized as the ability to "put oneself into another's shoes"."

From the Wiki link you provided. Perhaps reading the link before posting would avoid some confusion. Fall was not claiming she believes other people have minds - that was taken for granted.
Pebble

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Fallible » Apr 21, 2018 6:36 am

I mean, you know, sometimes I wonder.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 22, 2018 5:43 am

A psychopath can have theory of mind but not empathy; that indicates to me that empathy is a hot emotional experience, not a cold mathematical deduction.
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real
Suspended User

Print view this post

#34  Postby Fallible » Apr 22, 2018 6:18 am

I don't know why anyone might think it was a cold mathematical deduction. Did you read a definition of empathy at any point? It involves identifying with and understanding the emotions of another from within their frame of reference. Your comment is a bit of a false dichotomy though. I have the skill, and then I apply it deliberately, which requires a calculation somwehere along the line. I choose not to pay attention to it at other times.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience