Gray Matter Loss in Brain Due to Psychotic Episodes

Not anti-psychotic medication

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Gray Matter Loss in Brain Due to Psychotic Episodes

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 06, 2015 7:33 pm

Its been noted for the past decade or so that there is some (approximately 5% to 7%) shrinkage in the brains of people who have schizophrenia, most notably in the gray matter, which is an important part structures in the brain’s amygdala, hippocampus and parahippocampus, which are all involved in memory storage and retrieval memory storage and retrieval.

This finding has been documented in a number of studies, but it wasn’t clear what was behind the loss of brain matter. Some studies have indicated that a small percentage (less than 1%) might be due to medications but other research did not show that. Groups that are anti-medications jumped on this data to say that it was the medications that were causing the damage.

Now results from a new study has been released by Yale University and it shows that that brain loss is most likely due to, or concurrent with, inflammation in the brain and closely associated with psychotic episodes.

So, rather than suggesting that medications are the problem, it actually indicates that medications may be part of the solution – because its well documented that people who have schizophrenia are much more likely to suffer from relapses and recurrences of the “positive symptoms” of schizophrenia (the voices, delusions, etc.) that are very stressful to the person and that cause huge impacts on their life and those around them.

http://schizophrenia.com/?p=692

Could really help with compliance. :thumbup:
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

Re: Gray Matter Loss in Brain Due to Psychotic Episodes

#2  Postby epepke » Apr 06, 2015 7:52 pm

Interesting. I've always thought that rapid tranq was a good idea, on the basis that if something is going wrong, you stop it as soon as possible, lest it do more damage. I've thought that way forever, but only recently have people started to acknowledge that what happens in the brain causes physical changes in the brain.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 06, 2015 7:55 pm

I remember Shrunk saying that there was some research suggesting grey matter annihilation was caused by psychotic episodes a while back. I guess he was right!
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#4  Postby Willie71 » Apr 10, 2015 2:27 am

This isn't new as far as I know. I remember hearing about this at least 10 years ago if I remember correctly. It's good to bring information mainstream, and get it out in general distribution. The old information might not have been specific to grey matter. I'd have to look it up again but it isn't important anyway. New research on the genetic underpinnings of schizophrenia has been published in the last year too, It's on my "to read" list, but it keeps getting pushed to the back burner.
We should probably go for a can of vegetables because not only would it be a huge improvement, you'd also be able to eat it at the end.
Willie71

Name: Warren Krywko
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience