HOCD

Homosexual Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: HOCD

#21  Postby Fallible » Jun 13, 2016 8:01 pm

It's the same thing - OCD. If you look on OCD-UK's website, you'll see they discourage the use of the term HOCD, because a) it's confusing as some people use that to refer to hoarding OCD, and b) sufferers use it as a way to avoid saying 'homosexual', thereby perpetuating their disorder.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 13, 2016 8:04 pm

Would you say it's more common than, say, a phobia of Eastenders? It's causes aren't so negligible, I would contend.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
"You can't be disappointed in people if you have no expectations of them." - Fallible
https://soundcloud.com/sciteks
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Fallible » Jun 13, 2016 8:06 pm

What?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 13, 2016 8:09 pm

Would you say HOCD is more common than, say, a phobia of Eastenders? It's causes aren't so negligible, I would contend.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
"You can't be disappointed in people if you have no expectations of them." - Fallible
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Fallible » Jun 13, 2016 8:10 pm

Have you had something to drink tonight, KIR? I'm not trying to be rude (concerned if anything), but I don't think you're making sense here.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 13, 2016 8:12 pm

Yes, I have. Don't be concerned - I quit again at midnight. I was just trying to say that the causes of HOCD could be something beyond childhood trauma. Homophobia in general is a much wider phenomenon.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Fallible » Jun 13, 2016 8:25 pm

Again, I feel you're coming into this from the wrong direction. The condition OCD is about anxiety - the focus of that anxiety changes according to the individual. In some people it will be germs, in some it will be causing an accident, in others it will be losing someone close to them, in others it will be being the 'wrong' sexuality.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 13, 2016 8:35 pm

HOCD is more common than a phobia of peanut butter. Why? That's What this threads about really - Identifying it's causes. You don't seem interested in that for some bizarre reason. I'm confused Fallible - do you have an agenda, or think I have an agenda you wish to counter? I have an agenda - to obviate HOCD through diagnosing it's causes. Aren't you down with that?
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Fallible » Jun 13, 2016 8:42 pm

What I think is that your drinking has played havoc with your normal ability to rationally approach a topic and understand what people are saying to you. You know what I do for a living. You also know I have had OCD myself. I don't call myself an expert on OCD, but I have done more research than most people on it. Of course you don't have to listen to what I'm saying, but if you really want to obviate it, it might just help a tiny bit if you can at least understand the disorder, as much as is possible at this point, anyway. I'd start there. Specifically, I'd look into anxiety disorders as a whole, and not just limit your reading to a single narrow aspect because of the subject matter of the obsessive thoughts. For example, why do you want to obviate HOCD and not just straight up OCD which encompasses it?
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 13, 2016 8:50 pm

Keep It Real wrote:The trouble with bisexuality is that you need 2 - and you can only marry 1.

Eh no.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Fallible » Jun 13, 2016 8:51 pm

I...don't understand that either.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 13, 2016 8:55 pm

Fallible wrote:What I think is that your drinking has played havoc with your normal ability to rationally approach a topic and understand what people are saying to you. You know what I do for a living. You also know I have had OCD myself. I don't call myself an expert on OCD, but I have done more research than most people on it. Of course you don't have to listen to what I'm saying, but if you really want to obviate it, it might just help a tiny bit if you can at least understand the disorder, as much as is possible at this point, anyway. I'd start there. Specifically, I'd look into anxiety disorders as a whole, and not just limit your reading to a single narrow aspect because of the subject matter of the obsessive thoughts. For example, why do you want to obviate HOCD and not just straight up OCD which encompasses it?

HOCD seems to me to be primarily a branch of homophobia rather than OCD. I don't have much experience with OCD but I certainly recognise homophobia. Nomenclature is a real son of a bitch it would seem.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Fallible » Jun 13, 2016 8:57 pm

Oh, for fuck's sake. It isn't a branch of homophobia, KIR. It's a branch of anxiety disorder. I've explained this already, and all I've got in response is a string of incoherent nonsense and a reaffirmation of your original comments.

You know what, I think I'll leave this for another day. It seems kind of pointless at the moment.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 13, 2016 9:05 pm

Yeah, sleep on it. Good idea.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Fallible » Jun 13, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks, KIR, I very much appreciate your response to my giving a fuck about your wellbeing.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 13, 2016 9:18 pm

Why do we always have to argue? I care about your wellbeing too, you know. I responded ok to your concern. Midnight. Watch me roll.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Evolving » Jun 14, 2016 7:09 am

Keep It Real wrote:Why do we always have to argue?

Well, to someone reading this exchange, this seems easy to answer. You're speculating - thoughtfully, certainly, but speculating - on the basis of a lay person's knowledge of the material; as I might do: I don't know anything about it either. Fallible, on the other hand, does know something about it; nobody's perfect and nobody knows everything, and Fallible will be the first to agree that this applies to her as much as to anyone else, but she knows more about it than you or I do, and you're not listening; thus giving her the justified impression that she's wasting her time.

That's why.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#38  Postby fluttermoth » Jun 14, 2016 12:11 pm

As a fellow OCD sufferer, I'd just like to concur with Fallible; this is nothing to do with homophobia.

I have some issues with my OCD trying to convince me I'm a pedophile, because once I remembered, during sex, that I hadn't done my daughter's packed lunch ("OMG, you're having sex, and you thought of your daughter! That's disgusting", said the OCD 'voice' in the back of my head) and another time I put some of my teenaged son's underwear and my underwear in the wash together ("ARGHHHH!!!! Those knickers have touched your genitals, and those boxers shorts have touched your son's genitals, and now they're touching each other in the washing machine! And now you're thinking of your son's genitals, you pervert!!").

I am completely, intellectually, aware that those thoughts, and that whole thought process, is ludicrous in the extreme, and I am 100% sure I'm not a closet pedophile, but I still have the thoughts :(
fluttermoth

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 19, 2016 5:31 pm

Evolving wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Why do we always have to argue?

Well, to someone reading this exchange, this seems easy to answer. You're speculating - thoughtfully, certainly, but speculating - on the basis of a lay person's knowledge of the material; as I might do: I don't know anything about it either. Fallible, on the other hand, does know something about it; nobody's perfect and nobody knows everything, and Fallible will be the first to agree that this applies to her as much as to anyone else, but she knows more about it than you or I do, and you're not listening; thus giving her the justified impression that she's wasting her time.

That's why.

I've actually suffered from this type of homophobia in the past, which i've stated in this very thread. You say Fallible knows more about it than me because she's worked with OCD before. I disagree. I've never suffered from any (other) type of OCD. I say it's a branch of homophobia - and I stand by that.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Given that you've also made erroneous statements in this thread about bisexuals, I don't see why you standing for something should carry much weight.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience