HOCD

Homosexual Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

HOCD

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 14, 2015 4:01 pm

HOCD is a form of obsessive compulsive disorder that deals with one's sexual identity. It's based around the fear that one might become or somehow is homosexual, with this notion going against all rational and actuality of that person's sexual identity as a heterosexual. In part, the fears are that of impulse and loss of control, where one feels overwhelming anxiety around the intrusive thoughts of being sexual and passionate with another member of the same sex.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=HOCD

It strikes me that it is a form of homophobia. The old battlecry that homophobia is a sign of homosexuality seems at odds with this interpretation. Thoughts?
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: HOCD

#2  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 13, 2016 6:52 pm

Perhaps it is caused by a less than 100% heterosexuality - that which may well be harboured by much of the population. What's the solution?
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Keep It Real wrote:
HOCD is a form of obsessive compulsive disorder that deals with one's sexual identity. It's based around the fear that one might become or somehow is homosexual, with this notion going against all rational and actuality of that person's sexual identity as a heterosexual. In part, the fears are that of impulse and loss of control, where one feels overwhelming anxiety around the intrusive thoughts of being sexual and passionate with another member of the same sex.

It strikes me that it is a form of homophobia. The old battlecry that homophobia is a sign of homosexuality seems at odds with this interpretation. Thoughts?

Well, for one, the homopbobia is caused by self hating homosexuals, is for most people a joke, as there is a high correlation between prominent homophobes who later come out as homosexuals. It's mostly homophobic orginisations who have since turned it into a straw-man of dismissal.

Secondly, the notion that people might be homophobes because they fear to be mistaken for being gay, is not all that odd, imo.
Some of them might be denying their own homosexual urges, but whether they all are? I don't know.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 13, 2016 7:04 pm

The solotion would be to try and change the notion that there's something wrong with homosexuality and that it makes you less of a man, or human.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Evolving » Jun 13, 2016 7:07 pm

Or woman.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 13, 2016 7:13 pm

I think I used to suffer from HOCD - before I was consistently and properly medicated for my schizophrenia. I used to call it a fear of vertiginous homophobic collapse. The thing I feared I reason now was that I would no longer experience heterosexual coupling. Loss aversion. It's important to me - being a meat bag of propagating genetic material. It was largely caused by my being identified as gay by strangers - I had a kind of floaty insecure manner. Since I've been medicated I no longer get identified as such and perhaps that helps. Identifying people as being gay could be a major cause of hocd IMO.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 13, 2016 7:17 pm

Perhaps a popularisation of bisexuality could help. No loss aversion then.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 13, 2016 7:21 pm

Evolving wrote:Or woman.

True.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Evolving » Jun 13, 2016 7:23 pm

:thumbup:
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Jun 13, 2016 7:25 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Perhaps a popularisation of bisexuality could help. No loss aversion then.

No, absolutely not.
The popularity of bisexuality has only increased the popular stereotype, that bisexuality is only a phase or a thing teenage girls do to attract guys.
It has also led to gay people coming out as bisexual, because it less worse than coming out as gay, only to result in them coming out as gay in the end, thus reinforcing the 'phase' stereotype and the notion that bisexuality doesn't exist and bisexuals are just in denial about being gay.

Finally making bisexuality 'popular' would not prevent homosexuality from being deemed undesirable.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#11  Postby quisquose » Jun 13, 2016 7:26 pm

I have a fear that I might become HOCD. Is there a name for that?
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#12  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:

Well, for one, the homopbobia is caused by self hating homosexuals, is for most people a joke, as there is a high correlation between prominent homophobes who later come out as homosexuals. It's mostly homophobic orginisations who have since turned it into a straw-man of dismissal.

Secondly, the notion that people might be homophobes because they fear to be mistaken for being gay, is not all that odd, imo.
Some of them might be denying their own homosexual urges, but whether they all are? I don't know.

It might be partly down to the language in the zeitgeist. Why not bisexuals and bisexual urges? Isn't that usually more reflective of reality?
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 13, 2016 7:37 pm

The trouble with bisexuality is that you need 2 - and you can only marry 1.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 13, 2016 7:37 pm

quisquose wrote:I have a fear that I might become HOCD. Is there a name for that?

The path to the Dark Side.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Fallible » Jun 13, 2016 7:42 pm

Keep It Real wrote:Perhaps it is caused by a less than 100% heterosexuality - that which may well be harboured by much of the population. What's the solution?

It's not caused by that. It's an anxiety disorder, like OCD, but focusing on the anxiety of being homosexual. It's not about people hating homosexuals. It's about people getting irrationally worried about something happening. Anxiety disorders, like phobias, are irrational by their nature. Take my phobia of clusters of things. Why would I be scared of them? They can't harm me. I don't hate them, just something in me triggers an all-consuming panic when I see them.
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Sendraks » Jun 13, 2016 7:46 pm

Keep It Real wrote:The trouble with bisexuality is that you need 2 - and you can only marry 1.

Wait? Wut? :think:
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#17  Postby Fallible » Jun 13, 2016 7:47 pm

Keep It Real wrote:I think I used to suffer from HOCD - before I was consistently and properly medicated for my schizophrenia. I used to call it a fear of vertiginous homophobic collapse. The thing I feared I reason now was that I would no longer experience heterosexual coupling. Loss aversion. It's important to me - being a meat bag of propagating genetic material. It was largely caused by my being identified as gay by strangers - I had a kind of floaty insecure manner. Since I've been medicated I no longer get identified as such and perhaps that helps. Identifying people as being gay could be a major cause of hocd IMO.

It isn't. It happens in homosexual people, where of course they have an irrational fear of being straight. Its causes appear to be the same as the causes of OCD; childhood neglect or abuse, a trauma or 'we don't rightly know'.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 13, 2016 7:48 pm

Fallible wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:Perhaps it is caused by a less than 100% heterosexuality - that which may well be harboured by much of the population. What's the solution?

It's not caused by that. It's an anxiety disorder, like OCD, but focusing on the anxiety of being homosexual. It's not about people hating homosexuals. It's about people getting irrationally worried about something happening. Anxiety disorders, like phobias, are irrational by their nature. Take my phobia of clusters of things. Why would I be scared of them? They can't harm me. I don't hate them, just something in me triggers an all-consuming panic when I see them.

All phobias/anxieties have a cause however. A vertiginous homophobic collapse could take many forms, even shooting up a nightclub perhaps.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Fallible » Jun 13, 2016 7:52 pm

Of course they have a cause. The cause just isn't being wrongly identified as gay, or being homophobic, or not being 100% straight. As I said, gay (and bi) people also suffer from it. IMO you're focusing on the wrong aspect, ie. the homosexual part. It's just one form of an anxiety disorder (OCD).
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Keep It Real » Jun 13, 2016 7:54 pm

I've never heard of heterosexual obsessive compulsive disorder. Must be rare.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience