How are you holding up?

Are current events affecting your behavior?

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

How are you holding up?

#1  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 07, 2020 3:01 pm

I'm wondering if others here have noticed any changes in their own behavior these last few months, and if you attribute this to the more or less absence of good things in the news lately.

I've noticed a few instances of inability to make simple decisions, which is little more than annoying. The few events that concern me are when my behavior affects others.

There's a fairly constant background noise in my mind now that I can feel has me on a medium simmer. There seems to be no escaping news that simply infuriates. I recently stopped listening to radio when I'm working, because of the constant barrage of news, to distance myself from it. There's a pandemic, of course. Oh, and my country is literally destroying itself. And, and, and... it's overwhelming. That simmer taps my reserve of tolerance, and I've overreacted to minor shit at home a few times.

If I had a dial, I'd either turn down that simmer or turn up the tolerance, particularly at home.
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: How are you holding up?

#2  Postby laklak » Jun 07, 2020 3:23 pm

I've given up on all mainstream news sources because it's all sensationalist bullshit, fake news, and opinion masquerading as fact. I've snoozed a lot of usually rational people on social media because they are sharing blatant lies designed only to inflame the situation. I understand people are angry, but it doesn't take much to verify a meme or "news" story, and shit is bad enough out there without purposely stirring the pot. I find it hard to sleep at the moment, because I'm worrying about things I cannot change. I'm short tempered, the fucking Crohn's and psoriasis is flaring (autoimmune diseases - the gift that keeps on giving!), it's been raining for a week and looks like a bad hurricane season brewing up. Creedence said it best - there's a bad moon rising.

At least I've got weed.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby aufbahrung » Jun 07, 2020 4:04 pm

I'm having good and bad days. Mostly it's the weather rather than the world. Don't like it too hot or too cold but it is exactly right less and less often lately.
ship struck the rocks yesterday, and the worst is yet to be....
aufbahrung

Name: Your Real Name

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby The_Metatron » Jun 07, 2020 4:27 pm

laklak wrote:I've given up on all mainstream news sources because it's all sensationalist bullshit, fake news, and opinion masquerading as fact. I've snoozed a lot of usually rational people on social media because they are sharing blatant lies designed only to inflame the situation. I understand people are angry, but it doesn't take much to verify a meme or "news" story, and shit is bad enough out there without purposely stirring the pot. I find it hard to sleep at the moment, because I'm worrying about things I cannot change. I'm short tempered, the fucking Crohn's and psoriasis is flaring (autoimmune diseases - the gift that keeps on giving!), it's been raining for a week and looks like a bad hurricane season brewing up. Creedence said it best - there's a bad moon rising.

At least I've got weed.

As do I, and I lean on it sometimes.

I just had to change my listening to my own music instead of any radio at all. If it isn't bad news, it's more bad news along with advertising on the radio.

Today will start with CCR, inspired by you. Perhaps followed by CSN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I AM Skepdickus!

Check out Hack's blog, too. He writes good.
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby The_Piper » Jun 07, 2020 5:24 pm

I started today with "Everybody Knows" by Leonard Cohen. I'm not a fan per se, but of that song I am. :)
Weed helps a lot. It should be sold at every corner store.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Ironclad » Jun 07, 2020 6:22 pm

You know what, legalisation during this lockdown might have been worthy. Hmm.. :ask:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Hermit » Jun 07, 2020 7:33 pm

The_Metatron wrote:I'm wondering if others here have noticed any changes in their own behavior these last few months...

My behaviour has not changed at all.

Nor has my mental state. The precariousness of our survival - as individuals or collectively - has been close to my consciousness for several decades. So, while shit like right wing national leaders we fucking vote into office and pestilence are not at all to my liking, it washes over me.

I have accepted that we have fuckall control over our lot, and that we are nowhere near as rational as we like to imagine, and that is before considering the possibility of an asteroid blowing us out of existence without warning (not that we could do anything about it if we did get a warning), the Yellowstone caldera making the entire planet's environment unsurvivable, or some weird glitch triggering a Strangelovian doomsday scenario.

Mental and behavioural turmoil is caused when reality challenges dearly held illusions.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera

God created the universe
God just exists
Hermit

Name: Cantankerous grump
Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby campermon » Jun 07, 2020 8:12 pm

Pretty much given up on the news now. During the first few weeks I was glued to the news and had LBC radio on all day to keep up with covid. I ended up getting anxious about covid and having crazy nightmares! However, I now have bad news fatigue and just do a quick scan through the news in the morning.

I've also fallen into a new routine - up early and do school work, then a bike ride if weather good (done over 600 miles during lockdown!) or a walk if not. Then some house/garden chores, then reading in the afternoon (thank goodness for ibooks!) and watching something light/uplifting in the evening (have rewatched all of Star trek next gen! great stuff!).

Routine will be off tomorrow - back at school! Just teachers tomorrow and kids in next week. It'll be interesting to see how that'll work :)
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Ironclad » Jun 07, 2020 8:22 pm

I’m just bored. I didn’t die, it might happen but I’ve got shitty nappies to wash first.
One good thing, a very good thing actually, no soap operas!
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#10  Postby campermon » Jun 07, 2020 8:35 pm

Ironclad wrote:I’m just bored. I didn’t die, it might happen but I’ve got shitty nappies to wash first.
One good thing, a very good thing actually, no soap operas!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah! the joys of shitty nappies!

:cheers:
Scarlett and Ironclad wrote:Campermon,...a middle aged, middle class, Guardian reading, dad of four, knackered hippy, woolly jumper wearing wino and science teacher.
campermon
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Macdoc » Jun 07, 2020 9:27 pm

The biz kept rolling along - even increased so aside from some procedure changes due to the virus it's been okay. Been getting out on the motorcycle daily now winter is finally departed..
Nice with less traffic.
I'd always ordered groceries for pickup but it was erratic and annoying initially ...much better now.
Not being able to hit a coffee place and chit chat was annoying but that is now changing and the weather is good.

Not being able to plan travel is a pain.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Fallible » Jun 07, 2020 10:03 pm

My normal life ended on the 15th March 2017. Feel a constant simmering unease? Feeling anger or annoyance at everything and everyone? Don’t know what’s going to happen next? Everything seems suffused with a weird dreamlike quality? Disturbed sleep? Everything around you has gone tits up and you realise there’s nothing you can do about it? Welcome to my world. This other crap is just everyone else joining the club 3 years late.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Svartalf » Jun 08, 2020 9:13 am

I don't spend that much time out of home, but being deprived of those outings, including what little face to face contact I had with otyher people hit me hard. Now, I can go out again to the café and see some people, so it's not so bad, but I miss my weekend gaming gatherings with my friends, who are not ready to resume face to face, so I have to do with audio mode over the net.
PC stands for Patronizing Cocksucker Randy Ping

Embrace the Dark Side, it needs a hug
Svartalf

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Animavore » Jun 08, 2020 9:22 am

I feel better since finding Heather Cox on Facebook and getting my daily news of Trump idiocy in one go in the morning then forgetting.

Other than that I've been in work through all of this so my schedule hasn't really changed. That said it's dead in the airport so I've been spending my time in work doing small courses on music theory, digital art, and photography. At home I'm learning jazz guitar/guitar in general. So I'm keeping it fairly zen by keeping myself occupied.

That said I pulled a neck/shoulder muscle moshing while playing Enter Sandman on Saturday night so I'm in a lot of pain right now. :lol:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15  Postby theropod_V_2.0 » Jun 08, 2020 11:53 am

I started cardio rehab last Thursday, and go back today and tomorrow for the next 12 weeks. There is only one other person in my time slot, and I wear a mask before, during and after. It’s either risk covid or another infarction.

RS
“Sleeping in the hen house doesn’t make you a chicken”.
theropod_V_2.0

Name: R.A.

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 08, 2020 2:03 pm

It's been relatively easy for me. We've had 2,600 test-positive cases of the virus. There are only 193 active cases province-wide. Very few new cases are announced daily. Things are pretty low-risk. Everything's open (aside from pools, I think) with strict physical distancing measures in place. I've expanded my pod to include six people, all of whom are still otherwise physically distancing.

I haven't been able to expand it to include my step brother's kids, which I hate. I want to squeeze them so bad. To my knowledge though they have a LOT of daily contacts. I'm not willing to expose myself and my pod to all that yet.

I'm anxious about my sister being trapped in the States. Nothing any of us can do about that though.

Other than that, shit's fine. What's happening in the US right now is horrific. Gatherings here are peaceful though. The police and protestors are being pretty restrained. A couple people referred to as instigators have been arrested. That's it though. I am glad the COVID-19 risk is so low though because the gatherings are enormous and no one is taking precautions.

If I avoid the news, I'm pretty unaffected by everything. Lucky me.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Mike_L » Jun 08, 2020 4:07 pm

State of the world is thoroughly depressing.
I've found amusement and distraction in something quite odd...

I loved pop-up books as a kid. Now, as a latter-day kid with graying hair, I'm fascinated with the designs and mechanisms:
In his Pop-Up Channel, the affable Duncan Birmingham shows all the secrets... in great detail, in a series of "how to" tutorials.

Brief (22-seconds) intro...

:dopey:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby Mike_L » Jun 08, 2020 4:15 pm

Animavore wrote:I pulled a neck/shoulder muscle moshing while playing Enter Sandman on Saturday night so I'm in a lot of pain right now. :lol:

That'll be your trapezius muscle.
I recommend the two i's:
ice-pack and ibuprofen.
:thumbup:
Mike_L

Male

Print view this post

#19  Postby felltoearth » Jun 08, 2020 7:25 pm

Rachel Bronwyn wrote:It's been relatively easy for me. We've had 2,600 test-positive cases of the virus. There are only 193 active cases province-wide. Very few new cases are announced daily. Things are pretty low-risk. Everything's open (aside from pools, I think) with strict physical distancing measures in place. I've expanded my pod to include six people, all of whom are still otherwise physically distancing.

I haven't been able to expand it to include my step brother's kids, which I hate. I want to squeeze them so bad. To my knowledge though they have a LOT of daily contacts. I'm not willing to expose myself and my pod to all that yet.

I'm anxious about my sister being trapped in the States. Nothing any of us can do about that though.

Other than that, shit's fine. What's happening in the US right now is horrific. Gatherings here are peaceful though. The police and protestors are being pretty restrained. A couple people referred to as instigators have been arrested. That's it though. I am glad the COVID-19 risk is so low though because the gatherings are enormous and no one is taking precautions.

If I avoid the news, I'm pretty unaffected by everything. Lucky me.

Puts Ontario to shame.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Rachel Bronwyn » Jun 08, 2020 8:15 pm

We don't have the snowbird problem.
what a terrible image
Rachel Bronwyn

Name: speaking moistly
Female