In my dreams I have boundless optimism. No baggage/memory?

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

In my dreams I have boundless optimism. No baggage/memory?

#1  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 30, 2014 5:57 am

Is our sense of optimism and motivation derived from our past experiences? I've suffered from a serious lack of motivation and severe apathy ever since my last psychotic episode. I've been trying to find a way out of this "residual schizophrenia" for years now and think that perhaps my dreams could yield a clue to the problem. When dreaming one has no consideration for the true reality of ones' life - the true state of ones' living circumstances. It's as if memory of the true state of affairs is missing - or perhaps all salient memory; one simply roams freely in the imagination, encountering people and obstacles and dealing with them in an instinctive manner. When I dream I feel just fine - positive and capable; and above all optimistic. I wake and then all the baggage comes flooding back and I'm stuck in apathetic pessimism again.

Could the problems of anhedonia and pessimism be purely down to conditioning? My last psychotic episode was such a vivid, emotive, involving and powerful experience does it not stand to reason that ordinary life would seem shallow and meaningless by comparison? If one is conditioned by experiences of failure and disappointment could that not be the source of a pessimistic outlook?

Although it's my particular problems that lead me to ruminate on this I think it could have applications for anybody suffering such a negative outlook in waking hours. Perhaps living in the moment could be the key. Perhaps even realising that conditioning is the source of our prevailing outlook could help one break the cycle. Leave the past behind. Focus on only positive memories.

This all may seem glaringly obvious - of course we learn through experience; but if only one could put bad experiences down to "bad luck" instead of some immutable flaw of character or the world there might be room for an improved perspective. I'd like to live like I dream.

/rant
You're only conscious when you're thinking about consciousness.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: In my dreams I have boundless optimism. No baggage/memory?

#2  Postby Keep It Real » Nov 30, 2014 9:35 pm

It might have been a rant but I'm sure there were a few interesting points raised...perhaps not. Maybe it comes across as narcissism.
Keep It Real

Print view this post

#3  Postby Doubtdispelled » Nov 30, 2014 11:05 pm

It can't be narcissism because a true narcissist would have great trouble recognising it as such.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

― Mark Twain
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#4  Postby Keep It Real » Dec 01, 2014 12:25 am

Thanks DD; I got a little paranoid there for a moment. Here are some quotes about living in the moment http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/live-in-the-moment
Keep It Real

Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience