Just do it!

no, not Nike, but self-discpline...

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: Calilasseia, ADParker

Re: Just do it!

#21  Postby Fallible » Aug 18, 2016 5:56 pm

:rofl:
John Grant wrote:They say 'let go, let go, let go, you must learn to let go'.
If I hear that fucking phrase again, this baby's gonna blow
Into a million itsy bitsy tiny pieces, don't you know,
Just like my favourite scene in Scanners .
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 19, 2016 4:54 pm

well, I did a workout but tore down the written instruction once it came time to do some writing. Tomorrows agreement reads "Don't be weak. Don't be a coward. Fight." An attempt to shame myself into action. It's fear of commitment that keeps me from dedicating myself to projects - likely conditioned into me through failures and bad outcomes of the past. Must be brave.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#23  Postby scott1328 » Aug 19, 2016 4:57 pm

Fear of commitment, or laziness?
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 19, 2016 5:02 pm

I'm not sure there's a difference. If you're confident your endeavours will be rewarding you want to do them ergo you're no longer lazy.
"What's it like to be rich? You can't have two lunches." - some famous musician.
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Fallible » Aug 20, 2016 1:22 pm

Obviously it now just seems like I'm contradicting you at every turn, but shaming and motivating come at opposite ends of the scale in the Book of Fallible. If it IS that you're scared of commitment, shaming yourself over that might not be the best. But hey, whatever.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Keep It Real » Aug 20, 2016 6:01 pm

No, turns out you were right - it didn't motivate me, just made me feel rubbish. I've turned it around for tomorrow to be aspirational instead. Be Strong! Be Brave!
Keep It Real

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#27  Postby jamest » Aug 20, 2016 11:48 pm

Fallible wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:
Fallible wrote:Of course it is. That's why it's unlikely that a single thought will simply override all your doubts, fears, etc. The reasons you can't ''just do it now'' aren't just going to dissolve if you think it. Like the reasons you keep relapsing don't dissolve every time you use the mantra 'today from midnight I'm clean''.

I'm not expecting my fears etc. to dissolve, just be overridden sufficiently to allow the desired activity to take place. Just fuck it and do it anyway is an appropriate attitude when faced with something as intractable as procrastination. I've been improving as far as the abstinence is concerned as the habit has formed. The mantra could be said to be the thing which got the ball rolling.

Fine, if you're so sure of that, why are you here asking about it?

Don't underestimate the shame factor. That's how/why diet clubs [for instance] manage to be successful.
They came, they saw, they concurred.
jamest

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby Fallible » Aug 24, 2016 6:19 pm

Define successful.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#29  Postby laklak » Aug 24, 2016 6:31 pm

It continues to make money for the diet club, of course.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#30  Postby ScholasticSpastic » Aug 24, 2016 6:46 pm

So we've established that diet clubs are successful the way any other parasite is successful.
"You have to be a real asshole to quote yourself."
~ ScholasticSpastic
ScholasticSpastic

Name: D-Money Sr.
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Fallible » Aug 25, 2016 1:01 pm

Underestimating the shame factor is something I'm unlikely to do. What I know is that shame has shown itself to be a highly inefficient motivator when making a significant lifestyle change. I don't know much about diet clubs, but it's apparently the common goal and camaraderie feelz which spur people on to lose weight, I don't know about that. I once had it explained to me that trying to motivate yourself while shaming yourself is akin to trying to learn French while thrashing yourself about the head and body with a text book. So whereas shame might enable diet companies to make money, there's a reason why people don't keep up the weight loss and need to go back.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#32  Postby SafeAsMilk » Aug 25, 2016 1:13 pm

Keep It Real wrote:No, turns out you were right - it didn't motivate me, just made me feel rubbish. I've turned it around for tomorrow to be aspirational instead. Be Strong! Be Brave!

Had a thought...when you're about to sit down to write yourself some vapid, motivational nonsense, do the fuckin' thing instead. If you did that every time you felt the need to write yourself something to pin your hopes on for tomorrow, the fuckin' thing would be done by now.
Yes, a mighty hot dog is our Lord!
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#33  Postby surreptitious57 » Aug 25, 2016 2:41 pm

You are obviously someone that finds it difficult to motivate them selves. This might be as a consequence of your various dependencies. Or your mental health. Or it might be something entirely independent of these factors. And so finding the
root of it might be the best way to proceed. Or else you are forever destined to be attacking the symptom not the cause

I also think there may be a conscious or sub conscious over reliance upon using us as a sounding board because it is the
easiest thing to do. Though you have made some progress I see so for that credit to you. But if you were not a member
of the forum and had no one to sound off to would it motivate you into trying harder? Something to think about maybe

And regarding motivation : nothing is going to make you do any thing unless you are already sufficiently motivated in
the first place. Even if you are not particularly enthusiastic about it you still can do it if the motivation is there. You
can shout just do it all day long till you lose your voice. But if it is all you can do then it is self defeating. Ultimately
it has to come from within you. If it is not there all efforts will be in vain
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#34  Postby Caper » Sep 15, 2016 12:08 am

Read recently that it's more effective to ask yourself if you'll do something rather than telling yourself to do it.
Maybe, if I get ambitious (will I get ambitious? - that's more like it!) I'll get more info on this later.
Caper

Name: Glenn Smith

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience