left brain, right brain, balanced brain ??

Studies of mental functions, behaviors and the nervous system.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

left brain, right brain, balanced brain ??

#1  Postby consistency » May 04, 2014 2:43 pm

I use to work in a beer distribution center during the summer months for a couple years driving a piece of equipment called an end rider. What I noticed was that I was the only one that would drive it on the left side with my left hand while everyone could only drive it on the right side with their right hand.

End rider: http://www.johnsonlift.com/assets/uploads/B60-80ZHD-Pallet-truck-2.jpg

What does this say about my psychology?
I Observe, therefore, I am.
consistency

Print view this post

Re: left brain, right brain, balanced brain ??

#2  Postby DavidMcC » May 04, 2014 2:48 pm

Not a lot, I would have thought. Maybe it says that you're left-handed. Are you?
May The Voice be with you!
DavidMcC

Name: David McCulloch
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby consistency » May 04, 2014 2:51 pm

Nope. Right handed.
consistency

Print view this post

#4  Postby DavidMcC » May 04, 2014 3:06 pm

consistency wrote:Nope. Right handed.

OK. Did it take you a while to get used to using your left hand to carry out this particular action?
Has it made you almost ambidextrous?
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » May 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Perhaps its like with dominant hand on hockey stick?
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby consistency » May 04, 2014 6:22 pm

DavidMcC wrote:

OK. Did it take you a while to get used to using your left hand to carry out this particular action?

No time at all. I've always been a natural at using my left hand for driving any equipment with exceptional precision including a car however I can't throw a ball or write or shoot a gun with my left hand.

Cross-dominance sounds about right.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dominance

I'm left handed in hockey however a quality wrist shot is dependent on the right hand or equality both if I remember correctly. Definitely not solely the left hand with a left hockey stick.

I feel that there is more to cross dominance. A different thinking pattern than the norm.
consistency

Print view this post

#7  Postby DavidMcC » May 04, 2014 6:28 pm

consistency wrote:
DavidMcC wrote:

No time at all. I've always been a natural at using my left hand for driving any equipment with exceptional precision including a car however I can't throw a ball or write or shoot a gun with my left hand.

Cross-dominance sounds about right.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dominance

I'm left handed in hockey however a quality wrist shot is dependent on the right hand or equality both if I remember correctly. Definitely not solely the left hand with a left hockey stick.

I feel that there is more to cross dominance. A different thinking pattern than the norm.

Thanks for that, consistency! I'd never heard of cross-dominance before. It seems to apply when one's handedness isn't consistent! :smug:
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby consistency » May 04, 2014 6:59 pm

I'm sure you've heard of it. No need to make it personal.
consistency

Print view this post

#9  Postby Arnold Layne » May 04, 2014 8:01 pm

I'm like that. I'm right handed, but my Dad is left handed, so I must have just copied a few of the things he did.

For example, most people shuffle cards with one hand and then deal with the same hand. I shuffle right handed and then swap the cards over and deal left handed. Strangely, my sister is the opposite. I also take tops off jars etc left handed and used to long jump off my left leg. Everything else I do right handed.

What does that say about my psychology? :ask:
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Regina » May 04, 2014 8:18 pm

Arnold Layne wrote:I'm like that. I'm right handed, but my Dad is left handed, so I must have just copied a few of the things he did.

For example, most people shuffle cards with one hand and then deal with the same hand. I shuffle right handed and then swap the cards over and deal left handed. Strangely, my sister is the opposite. I also take tops off jars etc left handed and used to long jump off my left leg. Everything else I do right handed.

What does that say about my psychology? :ask:

That you are the gambling type.
No, they ain't makin' Jews like Jesus anymore,
They don't turn the other cheek the way they done before.

Kinky Friedman
Regina

Male

Djibouti (dj)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Arnold Layne » May 04, 2014 8:41 pm

I blame it on my Dad. :(
I'm a Pixiist
Arnold Layne

France (fr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Weaver » May 04, 2014 8:53 pm

Considering that "brain dominance' in thought patterns, emotional vs logical thinking, etc, is mostly if not entirely a myth, the OP's observations of his driving patterns most likely shed no insight into his thought patterns.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Scot Dutchy » May 04, 2014 9:21 pm

These days at school everybody is given complete freedom. In my days it was different.

My wife was taught by nuns and left handers we evil. Still today she has problems with left and right. Btw she writes left handed.

The strange thing seeing her working in the kitchen makes me feel uncomfortable and the reverse is true.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#14  Postby consistency » May 04, 2014 11:32 pm

Weaver wrote:Considering that "brain dominance' in thought patterns, emotional vs logical thinking, etc, is mostly if not entirely a myth, the OP's observations of his driving patterns most likely shed no insight into his thought patterns.

What if there is more thought patterns than everyone believes? Therefore it isn't as simplistic as it seems. Would it still be a myth?

I've observed my thought patterns and they deviate from the norm extremely.

Scot Dutchy wrote:These days at school everybody is given complete freedom. In my days it was different.

My wife was taught by nuns and left handers we evil. Still today she has problems with left and right. Btw she writes left handed.

The strange thing seeing her working in the kitchen makes me feel uncomfortable and the reverse is true.

School today is worse. There is no discipline; therefore spoiled brat kids walk all over teachers and bully other students. We have all these oversensitive parasite mothers living in la la land on how kids should be raised.

We need a balance of the past and the present.
consistency

Print view this post

#15  Postby BlackBart » May 05, 2014 12:04 am

consistency wrote:
Weaver wrote:Considering that "brain dominance' in thought patterns, emotional vs logical thinking, etc, is mostly if not entirely a myth, the OP's observations of his driving patterns most likely shed no insight into his thought patterns.

What if there is more thought patterns than everyone believes? Therefore it isn't as simplistic as it seems. Would it still be a myth?

Pointless and rather tautological speculation.

That's nice. What is the 'norm' by the way?

School today is worse. There is no discipline; therefore spoiled brat kids walk all over teachers and bully other students. We have all these oversensitive parasite mothers living in la la land on how kids should be raised.

We need a balance of the past and the present.

Oh look. Sweeping generalisations. :coffee:
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby DavidMcC » May 05, 2014 12:59 pm

consistency wrote:I'm sure you've heard of it. No need to make it personal.

No, I hadn't.
On the question of making it personal, surely, you made the OP personal, by referring to your own experience at work. I certainly wasn't trying to get art you in any way, and I am sorry if you interpretted the bolded text in that way.
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#17  Postby kennyc » May 05, 2014 3:20 pm

consistency wrote:

So much wrong here it's hard to say where to start...but....

first you are speculating bs about 'thought patterns' -- these sorts of things are studied scientifically. I suggest you do some reading if you seriously want to discuss it. Google is your friend.

"I've observed my thought patterns and..." -- well if your observation is deviated then you may be deceiving yourself. :lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby consistency » May 05, 2014 7:47 pm

kennyc wrote:
consistency wrote:

So much wrong here it's hard to say where to start...but....

first you are speculating bs about 'thought patterns' -- these sorts of things are studied scientifically. I suggest you do some reading if you seriously want to discuss it. Google is your friend.

"I've observed my thought patterns and..." -- well if your observation is deviated then you may be deceiving yourself. :lol:

Thats a mighty big if.

I'll just keep my cards close to my chest since its pointless discussing anything with know-it-alls.
consistency

Print view this post

#19  Postby babel » May 06, 2014 11:39 am

Wow, the cross dominance wiki article sounds like reading a report on my own physical behaviour. Seems to be somewhat running in the family. My father and my sister have cross dominance as well, though they favour right mostly as opposed to myself. Interesting.
Milton Jones: "Just bought a broken second hand time machine - plan to fix it, have lots of adventures then go back and not buy it, he he idiots.."
babel

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#20  Postby DavidMcC » May 06, 2014 2:46 pm

Consistency, what makes you think that cross-dominance (or anything related to handedness, for that matter) has anything to do with "thought patterns"? Perhaps you should define what, exactly, you mean by "thought patterns".
DavidMcC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Psychology & Neuroscience